Seasonal fruit and veg.

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Gaby
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Seasonal fruit and veg.

Post by Gaby »

Usually go to Tobago end of January to beginning of March. However this year it looks like I can only go October-November and to help authenticate my daydreaming about my trip would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me what fruits etc.are in season at that time. Yep, I am nuts about the place 8) Many thanks.
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Seasonal fruit and veg.

Post by Andy K »

In October - November local fruits are not plentiful, but you should at least get some
early citrus. Unfortunately, you will miss mangoes, plums and avocado. The odd mango tree
bears out of season and you may be lucky but you have to pick it yourself.
Gaby
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Gaby »

Apologies for delay in replying... guess it is just as well as due to op dates changing I am not going to make November. Your letter makesme feel much better about it - thank you.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

What's it like in June/July? I am going there for the first time at that time of year in 2013.

Do fireflies bonk all year round or is it only for a season?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Paul,

June / July is definitely mango season. It starts with Julie in May. Enjoy !
Gaby
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Gaby »

In 2011 mangos were all over the place end of Feb. beginning of March, first time I have seen them that early and I had until this year been going annually ? global warming.
Tsssk Paul, I didn't know that the fireflies were erm bonking (must be something rude as spell check doesn't recognise it), some group orgy :)
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Gaby, Paul,

Some mango trees tend to bear more than once per year. The main crop starts in May and depending on the kind
of mango you will see trees bearing right through the summer.
It is quite unpredictable when "Mango Julie" bears a second time but it certainly depends on the weather.
My Julie tree in Trinidad now has a good number of fruits with the size of a big plum, but i believe they will take
a long time to grow to full size and ripe if they do at all. My Julie tree in Tobago is taking a break and doesn't bring a second crop this year at all. Well i can't complain, i got plenty fruits the first time around (May/June).

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”