Daily shopping

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Imtiaz
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Daily shopping

Post by Imtiaz »

Hi All am new on this forum. Travelling to Tobago in September and wanted to know what the average spend on a daily shop for basics like eggs, milk, bread, butter, jam, juice, beers some fish or meat would be? Just a rough estimate of the daily spend would be good. Thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Daily shopping

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Imtiaz

Welcome aboard! :)

Budget the same as you would at home would be my advice.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Imtiaz,
Although I do not live in the UK; Steve's comment make a lot of sense. Prices are in general similar or even much higher than what we pay in Toronto. There has been a dramatic increase in food prices over the past few years....more selection but also more expensive. You have to remember most things are imported and arrive via the ferry from Trinidad. One good thought...rum is still cheap compared to Canadian prices. Have a fantastic time.
Cheers,
Carol
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

You will be eating less processed food whilst on holiday! So don't go for the 'big' weekly shop routine! Trinidad coffee is really good. Bring tea.
Fresh fish 15TT a pound, salads can be expensive but you will always find local tomato, lettuce, scallions, breadfruit etc. Local celery is really strong tasting used more for soup and stews, carrots and a lot of root vegetables are imported.
Banana of all sizes and flavour all local and you will be there when avocado are in season so you will be amazed at their size and taste.
As for mango, well just indulge yourself ...................
Scarborough market is great for produce. As you drive around the island you may see produce in front of a house or shop, so stop and check it out.
Next thing you know they point you to someone with hens for eggs, so and so is baking today and you are chatting about anything and everything.
The fishermen start coming back mid afternoon. You always buy too much but then it tastes so good you eat it all anyway!
Do not plan too much, eat what you see available that day.
Local beef steaks are great, all meat will be frozen even if fresh. Local leg and thigh chicken parts are big. Bread you may find sweeter than you are accustomed to. Mass produced bread is not good except as a stand by.
Cheese all imported and not great though there is a lady making her own goat cheese..................Really good local yoghourt.
Local eggs remind you of what eggs are supposed to taste like. If you see fresh milk( still imported from the USA ) buy it otherwise all milk is UHT. Pennysavers, Jesus Christ Supermarket and Mooreshead carry it in quart tetrapaks.
Buy boxed white wine and keep it in the fridge.Pinot Grigio works well for us.. Same wine as in the bottle and the same price but for 3 times the volume?
Never been able to work that out. Reds do NOT work in the tropics. If you must have it then remember to chill it. Still go for the box. Beers are cheaper by the case as always otherwise 10TT a bottle is normal local price. Enjoy!
Josefa Patience
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Josefa Patience »

Hello,

Chris many thanks for mention me in your post. I`m the lady who makes the goat cheese and the yogurts.
But I also want to inform you all that one can get good German bread from my farm. I don`t bake everyday, so please place orders in advance.
I use real whole wheat organic grain and bake it with a crust, therefore something to bite.
We also have free ranged eggs at the moment and together with the possibility to buy yogurt from the farm is it worth the while to take a drive up the hill.

Other new products are : Farmers fresh cheese, Quark from cow milk.
Greek Yogurt from goat milk ( 125g. ) with fruits on the bottom. The best yogurt you can get.

For more information look at my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goat-Dai ... 1560439762

Thanks

Josefa Patience
Orange Hill Nature Ranch
http://www.goatdairy-tobago.com
Imtiaz
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Imtiaz »

Absolutely phenomenal response! Thank you one and all and Josefa you will see me there. My wife is French and loves her goats cheese so you WILL see us there. Staying in Castara and arriving 11th September. Can't wait!
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

See you in the village then!

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”