rum punchs-any recipes

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
HelenH

rum punchs-any recipes

Post by HelenH »

We are off to Tobago in less than 3 weeks and rally excited. to get us into the mood of things we were thinking of trying to make a rum punch. Can anyone give me the recipe?
helen
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Rum Punch

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Helen

Rum punches vary from place to place, but the basic ingredient (not surprisingly) appears to be a good slug of rum.

I have tasted some pretty lethal concoctions, that appear to be 99.9% high octain rum, with a few slices of pineapple perched on the lip of the glass.

I would guess that any white rum is better than the dark rums available, and you could use either coconut milk or guava, mango, pinaepple juice etc to taste. Some slices of Kiwi, apple, orange will add to the entertainment value of a rum punch, as you try to avoid spilling the punch when an avalanche of fruit slides down the glass towards your upper lip.

The best thing is, that in order to get the perfect blend, a great deal of trial and error is involved and you will need to experiment by varying the quantities of rum and fruit juice. If you start out with 50/50 and then adjust according to taste, with any luck it could take you several shots before you hit the right mix.

Cheers
Steve
HelenH

rum punches-any recipes

Post by HelenH »

thanks for that steve
helen
Richard

Post by Richard »

50/50 rum/juice - zoiks what are you trying to do to folks.

really just need rum and juice in appropriate measures.

slug of rum (dark), orange juice, fresh mango, ice, lime juice, maybe syrup to sweeten. pop into a capable blender, whizz. dash of bitters.

another recipe swiped from the rex

slug dark rum, slug coconut rum, orange juice. Server over ice. No syrup so not sweet.

The rex puts far too much rum in unless you ask them not to but the basic rum punch is made in large batches. Then this already too strong drink is used as the basis for some other cocktails which add more different rum to it.
Charles Scott

Post by Charles Scott »

Rum Punch
There is a an old saying that trinis like to use when making rum punch ....
"One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong and four of weak"

Ingredients:
3 measures rum (TDL Puncheon Rum, Oak Oak, Crystal or Vat 19 White Rum)
1 measure lime juice ( 1 oz)
2 measures syrup ( made of equal parts of sugar and water , boiled for 5 mins)
4 measures of water and ice combined or ginger ale
dash of Angostura bitters
dust of nutmeg
Method:
Mix all ingredients, except for bitters and nutmeg and serve over ice, then add a dash of Angostura and sprinkle with nutmeg (garnish glass with slice of lime or orange and a cherry)

Recipe copied from http://www.tntisland.com/ which has a lot of other drink/food recipes
K Travers

Post by K Travers »

Charles Scott wrote:Rum Punch
There is a an old saying that trinis like to use when making rum punch ....
"One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong and four of weak"
My goodness, I was JUST about to put this saying up here! Funny though, on our recent rum punch-laden trip to Tobago, we never had a punch of this variety- only those with fruit juices (other than lime). We came to know and love the above recipe while in Grenada, and have continued making it at home. For the syrup, rather than the simple syrup Charles describes, we use nutmeg syrup, and I've heard Grenadine can be nice as well.

A dash of freshly ground nutmeg on the top is the essential garnish, in my opinion! The bartender at the Shipwreck Bar at the Bluewaters Inn was the only one in our travels who did this on top of the fruitier punches. Though even then I must quibble, because the ground nutmeg was from a bottle, not fresh!

Karin
HelenH

rum punches-any recipes

Post by HelenH »

Thanks all. We shall certainly have fun trying all these recipes!
helen
Martin D

Caribbean Cruiser & Pina Colada Recipie

Post by Martin D »

This one comes from one of the 'sauce' guides available at all good catering outlets...
Complicated and far from traditional, but well worth the effort as it has a really rich and fruity flavour from the combinatin of dark rum and amaretto. Its called a caribbean cruiser it does the job!

2 1/2 shots Pusser's navy rum (overproof dark rum)
1 shot coconut rum (malibu)
1/2 shot Galliano
1/2 shot Amaretto
1/4 shot grenadine
1/2 shot lemon juice
3 shots pineapple juice
A dash of sugar syrup to taste

Shake, pour over crushed ice and enjoy!

If you can't get Pusser's navy rum then use any good dark rum.
I find that most of the best rum based cocktails use both light and dark rum but it'll depend on the sweetness of your tooth - dark tends to be sweeter.

Do try this at home, but don't blame me if you fall over! :wink:

Also for a fab homemade pina-colada...

1 box coconut cream (NOT creamed coconut which is different)
9 shots pineapple juice (not from concentrate if poss)
3 shots dark rum
3 shots white rum

blend with crushed ice, pour and enjoy (warning calorie disaster imminent!)

Martin.

PS off to Tobago in 4 days - wayhey, can't wait!
HelenH

rum punchs-any recipes

Post by HelenH »

thanks martin
have a great trip
helen
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Oh dear! I feel a major hangover coming on! :roll: I am gonna have to try some of those recipes!

Soon to be very drunk

Linda :lol:
Andreas A.

Post by Andreas A. »

I found another recipe on the internet a few moonths ago that i tried and liked.

Boil 1 part sugar and one part 1 water and a cinnamon stick.
Let it all cool down.
Mix 1 spoon of the stuff with 4cl rum, a slice of lime, and grind some muskotnut in it.

Serve in a glass with a spoon so that you can press the slice of lime for as much limejuice you like directly in glass.
HelenH

rum punches any recipes

Post by HelenH »

thanks andreas. we bought some rum back with us. we will have to try it out
helen

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”