La Tartaruga

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

La Tartaruga

Post by WendyMay »

Just returned from fantastic stwo weeks holiday in Tobago, with family and friends. We hired a villa and ate out in restaurants quite a lot. We enjoyed our meals out generally, but I must comment on our visit to La Tartaruga, Bucco. We had assumed that we would have a reasonably priced meal, seeing that it was an Italian pasta restaurant. If fact when the bill arrived we were shocked to see that they had added service charge, plus tax, onto the bill. We thought that was naughty and were not amused and won't eat there again. The chef brought plates of nibbles to the table while we were waiting, but we would rather have not had them and a lower bill. We glanced at the wine list out of interest and the prices were exorbitant. Needless to say we stuck to rum punch. Just a warning to anyone thinking of trying this restaurant. Remember! There are extra's added to the bill. What we paid for a plate of shrimp pasta and rum punch, plus service charge and tax, was on a par with a nice meal at Shirvan WaterMill or The Fish Pot. Other excellent Restaurants.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Hidden Charges in Restaurants

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Wendy

I regret to say that this is one of my biggest beefs with restaurants on Tobago. It is practised by all the restaurants you have mentioned in your various reports today, the one exception being the Water Mill, who are a newly opened and currently below the VAT threshold (I believe).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Hidden Charges in Restaurants

Post by Hugh S »

RE La Tartaruga

First I must say that I love the experience and the food at La Tartaruga but the owners do need to hear our concerns. El Pescador, one of my long-time favorites, adds a flat 10% to the menu prices which includes tax and service. Tipping for great service is always appreciated.

I enjoyed two excellent meals at La Tartaruga recently and the service was equally excellent. The 25% markup though is a bitter pill and definitely affects my dining choices.

• It must be said that the added costs are very clearly stated on the menu and should not come as a surprise.

Hugh 8)
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Re: La Tartaruga

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

Not a cheap meal by far, but we ate for the first time at La Tartaruga, and it was a series of delights. We had a 3-course lunch, spent 3 hours sipping wine and strong coffee. Was happy to pay the price, because the food here is pretty exceptional.
Wendell Grosvenor
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Wendell Grosvenor »

And are they still adding the 'hidden charges' without fair warning?
I too have just returned from Tobago and the tourist industry is in a sorry state. These hidden charge, if in this case do, not help.
I found it a 'delight' to eat from the food stalls at Store Bay and Pleasant Prospect (next to the Fish Pot) where you pay an honest price for honest food with no hidden surprises.
Best regards, Wendell
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

To be fair, I have been trying to get a meal in at LA Tartaruga for about 3 years, something always came up that prevented us, so this trip, it was our final meal on the island, and he opened the restaurant especially for us (perhaps because we were Canadian, and his daughter was attending school in Ontario, and we had some things in common). So I didn't really look at price too closely. Yes it was a CAN$250 lunch for 5 adults, but we ordered every appetizer on the menu, all the available entrees but one, and all the desserts but one, and spent 3 hours leisure, chatting with Gabriele. Seemed like we got the full experience, and was worth the extra $$.

Best meal on the island remains at CUFFIE Eco-Hotel outside of Moriah, also not cheap, but well, well worth it.

La Tartaruga was pretty exceptional, and in all fairness, it does say right on the menu: All prices are quoted in TT$ and are subject to 10% service charge + 12.5% V.A.T.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”