Your Favorite Local Fare

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Lennie
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Your Favorite Local Fare

Post by Lennie »

I've been searching restaurants in Tobago and am wondering if some of you "regular" lovers and visitors of Tobago have some favorite local fare and where are the best joints to hit up. Of course not looking to break the bank, but have fun and try some new stuff if possible. I've just learned of Doubles and my husband and I will be checking that out. We are staying in Buccoo, and will be relying mostly on Taxi transport ion...so in that basic area. By the looks of it, we will probably check out Scarborough as well.

Thanks!
Lennie
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Your Favorite Local Fare

Post by Hugh S »

Right in Buccoo are two of our favorite restaurants, El Pescador and La Tartaruga.

Sunday School brings a wide variety of eats to the area around the goat racing stadium.

If you find yourself at Mt. Irvine Beach, Jackie sells roti (including flying fish roti) in a stall on the road in front of the picnic area (767-9385). Closed Saturdays.

Enjoy, Hugh 8)
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Marcia's Diner
John C
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by John C »

The Royal-T café/restaurant is excellent quality local food run by enthusiastic Tobagonian owners.....from Bucco head up to the traffic lights...go straight across and up the brae and they are first left. They do food to order for takeaway also.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

It's all down to your individual taste but I do not eat out much and, after a rather nasty bout of food poisoning and hospitalisation on my last trip, I am going to restrict my 'eating out' even more and I will avoid eating fish in restaurants or from take-out stalls.

Places like the Fish Pot & Kings Bay Cafe are OK because they close when they have run out of fish ... so you know it is fresh if you have it.

But, in my opinion, the best food you can have (in Tobago) is on a Boat Trip (not necessarily the No Mans Land trips) where you go to Cotton Bay or Pirates Bay (there are many options) and the fish you have caught on your travels during the morning is put straight onto a Barbecue on the beach. Often, your guide will have prepped some nice tasty rice and salad to go with it.

This is one of the few ways you can be assured that you are eating 'the catch of the day'.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”