Eateries around Speyside

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Geoff M

Eateries around Speyside

Post by Geoff M »

Looking to stay at Blue Waters Inn in September, but wondered are there any other restaurants etc within a reasonable walking distance? :?:

I'm sure their food is fine, but a change of scenery over 2 weeks would be great.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

As a Yorkshireman, I’m sure you are used to quick 5-mile hikes over the Dales as an appetiser before breakfast, so the walk down the 1-mile drive of the Blue Waters Inn is hardly likely to give you an appetite. Trouble is, the nearest alternative – literally at the end of the drive – is the Speyside Inn and if I sent you there, you would no doubt put a bounty on my head. So, walk on another quarter-mile and you have the Speyside Inn. I’ve heard very good reports about the dining here, but have sampled it for many a year. Another quarter-half mile and you have the choice of the Bird Watchers Restaurant, Redmans or Jemmas.

So, a warm walk during the day and an awfully dark walk at night (no street lights, but the lack of air and light pollution mean that it’s never REALLY dark – in fact, if you’re there are full moon there’s no need for street lighting.

Have fun.

(p.s. I was born in Dewsbury of good West Riding stock, so don’t take offence at my opening remark)
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Geoff M

Post by Geoff M »

Steve

Many thanks for your reply. I am in fact originally from Glasgow, but after 15 years in Yorkshire am almost accepted as a local!

After a full days diving, we are unlikely to fancy much of a walk so looks like the BWI restaurant is going to have to do - no offence meant.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I meant to say that there is undoubtedly a local taxi service, so you could always arrange to be taken out to the Speyside Inn or Jemma's (the only two open in the evening, I believe) and then collected later.
Steve Wooler
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Geoff,
I was at BWI last November, and diving so this may help.

The bar menu at BWI is fine and OK for lunch between dives most days. The dive plan was a morning dive booking in around 10ish (very ish) back in for lunch and another dive booking in around 1:30. the only problem seems to happen when there were a few people in the bar and orders were backing up and you had to wait a while for food. So it was a very rushed lunch a dive on a full tum.

If we didn't eat in the bar we walked in to Speyside for a meal at Jemmas or Redmans in the evening, but here are a good selection of local eateries in Speyside and a really good Roti shack up at the park end. A taxi round to Charlotville will only cost a few quid if you fancy a change I rather liked Sharon’s, which did really great shrimp which wasn't on the menu, we found it pays to ask when you order from most of the places we went if there were any specials.

We are back out to BWI just after you in October so you could let me know how you get on and what the diving on the Roundtable is like.

Regards
Kevin
Geoff M

Post by Geoff M »

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the info. Have now booked at BWI + 24 dives, in Sept so will be happy to let you know how things are.

How far/long is the walk into Speyside? We tend to be a bit shattered after diving, but if the regime is as relaxed as you suggest - Carribbean Time - maybe it wont be too bad.

Off to Sharm in a couple of weeks, which will be a nice rehearsal for the real stuff in Sept. Are the curents as good as people say? Have dived Maldives a couple of times, so not afraid of a hefty current.....
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Geoff,
its a 10 to 15 minute stroll in to Speyside from BWI so it must be a bit less than a mile, we used to walk in in the evenings around 7ish (don't forget a torch). Redmans is not always open and Jemmas is a bit less crowded at night. We also did lunch a few times but I was not diving in the afternoon so that was pretty relaxed. Charlotville is about 15 minutes in a taxi.

Most of the drift dives were around 2 to 3 knots but it was very variable as you move along a reef. Kamikaze Cut at the end of the Flying Manta dive is a real stunner as the current between the rocks must be up around 6 knots for a short distance and it really feels like your flying.

I've been to the Maldives too and the drifts are faster and longer in Tobago. The guides are great at Aquamarine who run the BWI center and usually had 2 guides if the group was more than 6 dives as things tended to get a bit strung out.

If you are interested I did a dive report and posted it on http://www.divernet.com in the destinations forum so if you do a search on Tobago it should turn up.

Regards
Kevin
Geoff M

Post by Geoff M »

Hi Kevin

Would you therefore be otherwise known as Diverat? If so, it is mainly because of that report and a subsequent one from Bren Tierney that I going to Tobago, and staying at BWI. Thanks !!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Guys

And as soon as I get my finger out, I will be posting Kevin and Bren's reports as Visitor Reports, part of a major article on diving on Tobago. Sadly, there's just not enough hours in the day, but it's top of my list as soon as I finish our 2004 Reviews.
Steve Wooler
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Geoff,
You have have found me out.

Diverat!!

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”