Jemma's Treehouse

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Sally

Jemma's Treehouse

Post by Sally »

We ate at Jemma's last week, and we had a very good meal. There was only one other table of customers, so we received plenty of attention. The food and service were both good.
Andreas A.

Post by Andreas A. »

It was a really nice place with excellent food, but i just wish they could server a beer to the meal instead of all that sweet stuff :?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

I understand that Jemma is a strict Seventh-Day Adventist so will not have alcohol on the premises (which is why the restaurant closes from sunset on Friday evenings to sunrise on the Sunday). Someone did tell me that they turn a blind eye if you take your own beer in, but this hasn't been confirmed.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

I can confirm it Steve,

We went there and were told to bring our own beer. Coming from a hotel backround I felt quite awkward walking into a restaurant with a six pack in tow, so the first waitress I saw I asked if it was ok, she laughed and said everybody does it and it isn't a problem.

I didn't want to ask why, I just presumed there was some odd licencing laws on Tobago, so thanks for clearing that up for me Steve!!

Joe
Patrick Dankou
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Patrick Dankou »

Hi Andreas,
Jemma's has no liquor license and they are seventh day adventists.
They sell shandy though, lime,ginger or sorrel lemonade with a hint of carib 1.2% :wink:
It is no problem however to bring your own booze, saw a group of french yachties a while ago who all had lobster and washed it down with a few bottles of chablis....
Patrick Dankou
Yes Tourism - http://www.Yes-Tourism.com
Andreas A.

Post by Andreas A. »

Ah thats right Patrick, Shandys is what they suggested instead.
Waaay to sweet for my taste. =;

Is it true that people actually mix that stuff with beer???
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Visited Jemmas.

Nice to have a veggie option but I was underwhelmed by the food.

Nothing unpleasant you understand, just far from impressive.
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Sorry Marc, I have to disagree with you there 8)

We stopped in Jemmas the day we did our island tour, and the food and service was fantastic. The lunch was up there with the best food we had on the island, and the dish of roasted eggplant was gorgeous. The setting was a bit dissappointing as I had gotten the impression that the restaurant enjoyed spectacular views. Maybe it was just where we were sitting, but all I could see was the back of the kitchen, and a tree!!

But it is definitely worth a visit if you are in the Speyside area.

Joe
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

I agree with Marc,I think Jemma's is over-rated and over-priced.I was very dissapointed with it and must have had the same table as Joe! :cry:
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

I couldn't comment on the prices, the meal was included in the tour price.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Jemma's is certainly not overpriced! I can honestly say that I had my best meal on the island there. The lobster is simply DIVINE! The Kingfish was out of this world and even the BBQ chicken was excellent. I am very much a food connaisseur and I would go so far as to say that if you miss Jemma's you will miss the most increduble food on Tobago. I have already informed my husband that next year we are going to Jemma's at least TWICE!!

Just Go To Jemma's!!

Bryn
Terry Gilbert

Jemma's

Post by Terry Gilbert »

As a matter of interest how much is the Lobster meal? We are hoping to visit Tobago in September or October and love lobster so will have to visit. Living in the South West of UK we have lobster here, but VERY expensive.

Terry
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Terry

I don't know about prices, but it's a fraction of the cost you'll pay in the UK and MUCH fresher and tastier. The best lobster I've had on Tobago was at Ru-B-Lous in Crown Point. The price varies, depending upon the weight, but a big one is more than enough for two of you.
Steve Wooler
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Terry,
Last November it was about £25 and worth every penny. Much more than you would get in the UK.

My wife had 3 over the 10 days we were there, by the end of the week I did not even have to ask, I knew what she would order by the broad grin she had when we walked in.

Hope its not gone up too much
Regards
Kevin

PS since when has Bridport been in the South West?? :lol:
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

I don't know how much the lobster is in Jemmas but as far as I can remember the going rate on the island in May was between TT$180 and TT$250 depending on where you were eating. Thats about £18-£25.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Yes, Joe - that's the sort of price range I thought.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”