restaurants we visited

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Piia

restaurants we visited

Post by Piia »

These are the restaurants we visited. Generally I would say that everywhere we went the portions were really big and the service friendly. We didn’t make table reservations anywhere else than the Seahorse Inn and always got a table. My only really big disappointment was that La Tartaruga was closed for the month so we couldn’t go there. I was really looking forward to that.

The restaurants here are listed in the order we visited them.

Indigo, Pleasant Prospect
It was Friday and there was a barbecue buffet that evening. For 150 TT you could choose the things you wanted to eat and a chef prepared them for you. While eating you could watch an excellent drum show.

Riverside Restaurant, Parlatuvier
Very good local food. A choice of chicken or fish. This lunch was included in our tour so don’t know about the prices.

Bonkers, Crown Point
We had lunch here twice. Prices were really reasonable, about 30-40 TT. This is also the place, where we got the friendliest service on the island. Our waiter, Avalon (sorry, not sure how to spell his name), was very nice and funny.

The Seahorse Inn, Stone haven
This was the only restaurant that seemed to be full night after night. We ate dinner here three times and lunch once. A very beautiful and romantic restaurant and you can’t beat the seaside setting.. Food was always good and they have a great wine list. Although being the most professionally run restaurant on the island, we found that there was room for improvement when it comes to service. Beth (?) at the bar was a real joy, but some of the waiters at the restaurant were almost rude. It is not a cheap place, but worth the money. A dinner for two with wine costs easily 600 TT. Recommended.

Panache, Crown Point
Panache is a quite simple local style restaurant. Owned by the same people who own The House of Pancakes. There were no menus; the waiter told us what was available for the evening. We got a choice of main course, but the price (100 TT) also included soup, salad and ice cream. We were the only diners there that evening so the service was really attending. They made sure we really enjoyed ourselves.

Pelican Reef, Crown Point
This is a nice restaurant with really efficient ceiling fans to keep the diners cool and mosquitoes away. Good food, good wines and good drinks. Delicious cakes for desert! I have to mention the excellent maître d’ they have here. He should work in a fancier restaurant, he really knows his business.

Miss Esmies, Store Bay
Rotis were ok.

Ciao Café, Scarborough, Burnet str.
Delicious ice creams and good coffees. They also serve lunch and have wines and cocktails. Would definitely recommend.

Church’s chicken, Scarborough
Like Mc Donald’s. Only if your really hungry and need something fast.

Patino’s, Shirvan road
It is a big restaurant, but it was quite empty every evening. The garden is really lovely. Food was good, dinner for two with drinks and desert was about 460 TT. They have special nights throughout the week for example lobster fest.

Shore Things, Lambeau
We had read good things about this place from the forum, so we went there for lunch. The décor is nice and bright and the prices are cheap. Pizza was a bit unusual but absolutely delicious. The owner lady was really nice. Definitely a place worth visiting, both for the food and for the crafts sold here.

The House of Pancakes, Crown Point (?)
Had breakfast here twice. Simply delicious. A busy place though. Highly recommended.

La Terrazza, Shirvan road ,next to Patino’s
I was really looking forward to this restaurant after reading about it in the forum, and it was everything I expected it to be. It was one of our favourites and we had dinner there twice. If you like pasta like me, you got to go there. The penne with salmon was to die for! We also liked the tropical salad as a starter. They have a good wine list as well. Décor is simple but stylish; it is a very pleasant place. A three course dinner for two with wine was about 500TT. Highly recommended.

Birdwatcher’s Restaurant and bar, Speyside
This was probably the best local food we had. The portions were extra huge and it was cheap. No menus here either. For 40 TT you got chicken, rice, vegetables, macaroni pie, salad etc. Bright décor and friendly service. Recommended.

MeShell’s, Shirvan road
A really pleasant, romantic restaurant. Food was beautifully presented, and my boyfriend said that the rib-eye steak with red wine sauce was the best he had on the island. They have a good wine list as well. A dinner for two with drinks and desert was about 390TT. Recommended.

Marcia’s Restaurant and bar, Crown Point
A local restaurant with good air-conditioning. The food was nothing special, quite spicy, but the nice owner lady was very informative about the food.

Kariwak Restaurant, Crown Point
They had a set dinner with a choice of chicken and fish dishes for main course. Prices also included soup, salad and desert. Food was a bit spicy, but really good, although the portions were the smallest we had on the island. The choice of deserts was wide from ice cream to pies, all of them sounded delicious. For 120-125TT/p.p. it was good value for money. They also have a good cocktail list.

Lal’s Rotishop, Scarborough
Better rotis than from Miss Esmies. Very popular with locals for lunch. This lunch was included in our other tour.

Café Coco, Crown Point
A big restaurant with really nice décor. If there weren’t so many tables it could be very romantic. The portions were extremely big here and the food wasn’t bad either. Although I found there was a conflict between the pub type of food and the quite stylish décor. They had a funny menu including titles like “wines without a bank loan”. All the taxes and charges were included in the prices so it was easier than in most places to know the cost of your dinner.

Café Iguana, Crown Point
Very entertaining and friendly owner. Excellent and cheap cocktails. Highly recommended for drinks.

Vie de France Café, opposite the airport
Had lunch here before our flight back home. Really good sandwiches and excellent coffees.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Wow! Thank you so much Piia. That is EXACTLY the sort of report that makes this forum and site worthwhile. Your reports have allowed me to "tweak" several entries in our Restaurants listing. Thank you so much. :lol:
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Katie

Post by Katie »

yeh a good report, didin't agree with everything though we got bitten to by mossies in pelican reef, though the puddings where gorgeous. Also unless you eat loads i believe that the portions at kariwak are of a big enough size! :lol:
Ally

Post by Ally »

my friend also got bitten like mad in pelican so spray yourselves before you go there!
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

They had coils burning when we visited, but to be fair I went nowhere without a squirt of the mozzie spray!

Mind you, was bitten to bits here in boring UK last week, at least in Tobago I'd have been having too much fun to notice!

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”