Alphamega Restaurant & Barbecue food

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Steve Fifield

Alphamega Restaurant & Barbecue food

Post by Steve Fifield »

The Alphamega Restaurant that I remember, is a very small cafe in Canaan not far past the "Viewport" Supermarket on your left as you drive east towards the Shirvan road. (Note, not in Store Bay as currently listed in the restaurants list, are there two?). It would not normally attract athe attention of the average tourist I would guess, however, I would definately recommend that you do drive by on any Friday, after about 7:00PM when they get the barbecue going on the roadside. There is the usual choice of Chicken, Fish or possibly Pork, but what makes it really good, is the selection of vegetables etc that accompany your meal. Macaroni Pie, Callaloo, Coocoo, noodles and barbecue sauce, and all served in a (large) takaway container for the equivalent of about £2.50 - a perfect change from eating out, just take it home and eat in on the balcony. =P~

Another Barbecue has recently opened (in the last two years) on the main road opposite Pigeon point road (next to a music shack). We just referred to it as "the barbecue shack". Here you can take away or eat in, and the quality and quantity is almost as good as Alphamega, and available on any day of the week. Does anyone know if it has a name?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Steve

You are probably right about Alphamega. They're not listed in the T&T phone book or Yellow Pages under that name, so I can't double-check, but neither can I find the source of my original listing. I'm sure it must be one and the same so I have adjusted the Restaurant listing and added your comment about a good BBQ on Friday evenings.

The BBQ opposite Pigeon Point Road and towards the Pelican Reef is, I believe, Bartons - where the price you pay is allegedly related to the colour of your skin.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

I can't believe that would be the case Steve:
"Bartons - where the price you pay is allegedly related to the colour of your skin"
:shock:

I could believe that the price might be related to the amount of Jewellery that you wore, or how rude you are to the staff!

We visited that place "Barton's" on our way back to the airport last time we went over, and were horrified to hear some customers with broad American accents complaining about everything. They were very rude to the staff "Boy the service here is real bad" etc. In fact, they had ordered takeaway, and had proceeded to sit down in the restaurant area. They also had not listened to the staff, who told them to take their takeaway containers over to the barbeque, and collect their choice of Chicken / Fish etc, and complained very loudly when they opened their containers to find only vegetables inside. "Gee, wherever this fish is, it sure must be small". Consequently, the Tobagonian staff began to shake their heads, especially when referred to rudely. "Girl - don't we get any cutlery?" etc. It made me ashamed to be a tourist and I didn't want to be associated in any way.

I got charged about 20-25TT$ per head (about £2.50) as I remember, which is good value. It is possible that locals might get lower prices, but at that price I certainly wouldn't complain. It is possible to eat for less. At the local Kite competition in Plymouth, we managed to get a Hot Dog for my little boy, 2 portions of Chicken Pillau and drinks for all of us for a total of TT$30 :!:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Steve, I strongly resent the implication that I was either rude or wear flash jewellery. :x

As it happens, I have never visited this establishment. We were sent the warning by a very reliable European resident who works in that immediate area. He had heard reports that they were charging different prices to "locals" and put it to the test by sending a local member of staff out, who was charged TT$25 for a meal. He then went over and was charged TT$45 for the same. Like very many people, I strongly condemn this practise, which is why I made the comment. If this doesn't bother you, then fine, it is entirely your choice.

Whilst I appreciate the economic arguments for "local" prices as opposed to "visitor" prices, there is also a narrow divide between fairness and rip-off. OK, so in this case the price might not be racially motivated - skin colour is probably just a crude way of identifying 'local' from 'tourist' - but nevertheless, it is not a practise that I will endorse.
Steve Wooler
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

Hey,
Those rude people could have been Canadian, also. :lol:

We Americans generally don't refer to "cutlery" in speech -- it's "knives and forks." I never say, "girl," as a way to address people, either.

(No insult to Canadians -- my mother and her 12 brothers and sisters were born in Winnipeg, and I have hordes of relatives from B.C. to Nova Scotia.)

Rudeness occurs in all nationalities.
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

OK, I do in fact agree with both of you! I guess that the best practise is to ask the price before you order (I always do if it is not on the menu or sign), and then you don't get surprises. Equally, I don't condone the way that a very small minority of tourists behave, as if anyone who is serving them is their worthless slave. Personally I find the Tobagonians invariably polite, enthusiastic to help, and (mostly) smiling 8) Compare the staff in fast food outlets and some restaurants in the UK!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I sure know what you mean, Steve.

As a matter of interest, your post does actually support an email I received about six weeks ago saying that Barton's had responded to pressure and abandoned the dual-pricing. You say you paid TT$25 - the original 'local' price. If you would care to confirm that you could not be mistaken for a local, then I think I would prefer to take the comment about pricing off the Bartons Restaurant listing.
Steve Wooler
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Not so fast - Though I just posted my views, my last visit was in January 2004, so maybe it all went pear shaped after then? Perhaps give them the benefit of the doubt, but still suggest some caution on prices?

I'll certainly give you plenty of updates mid January 2005 8)
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Re: the Alphamega Restaurant. I drove past it last night & it is derelict no doors or windows.
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Oh, that is bad news. :( Still, perhaps they are just refurbishing? :?
Might still be worth checking the plot on a Friday evening, as they serve from the roadside, and I guess that most of the food is home cooked anyway.

I'll check again in January when I next visit. 8)

Steve.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Steve

I'll pass by on Friday evening & let you know. I don't think it's being refurbished as there certainly hasn't been any sign of activity there in the 5 weeks I've been here & I pass by the place 2-3 times a week.

Dave
Bryn

I can guarantee they weren't Canadian!! :-)

Post by Bryn »

I'm Canadian and have travelled across my great country. Never once have I EVER heard a Canadian start a sentence with either GIRL OR BOY. It's definitely an American thing. My guess would be Tennessee. But it's more like GIIIIRLL and BOOOYYEE. LOL :-)

Just can't have it blamed on the Canadians!! :-)

Bryn
clearly a proud Canadian!
Dave C

Alphamega Restaurant

Post by Dave C »

I managed to pass by Alphamega on Friday evening & saw no sign of any food vendors outside but there was a stall outside Penny savers supermarket just down the road.
However a chalkboard sign has appeared nailed to one of the windows of Alphamega indicating the place is going to be refurbished & further notices will be posted in the future. i'll keep an eye on it.

Dave C

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”