Please - Don't eat the Conch!

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Steve Fifield

Please - Don't eat the Conch!

Post by Steve Fifield »

Has anyone tried Conch Roti? I confess that it tastes gourgeous. I had it at Crystals one year, and it is widely available.

When I mentioned how much I had enjoyed it to some local's, I was most surprised at their reaction: :?

No!! - don't eat the Konk!

I was told that Conch are in rapid decline around Tobago where they are overfished, however some Conch is in fact farmed from the shores around Grenada, where they are more prolific. The problem is, you can't tell if they are local, and they probably are.

I found this document about it on the web:

http://international.fws.gov/pdf/queen%20conch.pdf

Just like the coral, many locals can't believe that they are doing any harm by their actions, so Conch continues to be sold in many restaurants. (There are at least two reviews on this site that list that it is still on the menu). :(

Don't buy the shells either. They are just a by-product of this food supply business. You may be told that they just washed up on the shore (pink and shiny? - never), but if you look carefully, you will find a little hole at the crown end, where a pin was used to get him out, usually covered by a bit of shell or barnacle stuck on with glue. If you have one at home (you didn't get caught by UK customs!) take a look.

Anyone else heard about this or have a view?

Steve.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”