Seahorse Inn review

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Paul Holman

Seahorse Inn review

Post by Paul Holman »

Looking back through the forum I see the last reviews of this restaurant were over 2 years ago and rather unfavourable. We visited Seahorse Inn in Dec 2006, and found the food and staff at that time to be very good, and the price to be fairly resonable.
Mark Farrington
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Mark Farrington »

Yes, we went for an evening last week and would thoroughly agree. It was one of the best meals we had all week.

The staff were friendly and entertaining, the food really excellent, and the wine list would grace Chez Nico in London, UK! To be honest, I recommend avoiding all the expensive wines since the risk of getting a dud bottle must be high bearing in mind the shipping times involved, and the cheaper ones should be fine [the Chilean Viognier we had was good]; furthermore, all Tobagan restaurants mark-up wine enormously by European standards.

We'd be very happy to go back.
Regards, Mark
Cathy Preece

Post by Cathy Preece »

After seeing all the hype on this website (5 star rating??) and vigorous advertising by the Seahorse Inn, and this my third visit to Tobago, 3 of us decided to check it out. I'm from the UK, my friends, one local and the other from Trinidad. We all chose lobster, given that it's a speciality of the house. All were small in size, no claw or legs and drowned in garlic. We even discussed ordering a second each as we were still hungry but it wasn't so great so we decided just to leave. Been there, done that! To be honest, I can't fathom your enthusiasm for the place and will continue to go back to Dillon's for the best fresh lobster ever.
Lina Mallon

Post by Lina Mallon »

Since our hotel was all inclusive we only went for a few meals outside the hotel. One of them was the Seahorse. We both got the surf and turf dish. It was called something else but that was what it was. The lobster bit was nice, but not very big but the fillet steak was a disaster. It was mostly grizzle and we couldn't eat half of it. We pointed this out to the waiter who was very nice and apologised but didn't try to rectify the problem. We went to Indigo as well around the corner and found their food and the atmosphere a million times better and the prices cheaper.
Bernard Anderson

Seahorse Inn review

Post by Bernard Anderson »

We went at the end of may 2007. Nice place, Still not sure what they mean by 'Eating under the stars' as all the tables we saw were inside. The food was very good, the prices reasonable, and the service unusual! we had three different waiters and each time at least one dish/drink was missing when delivered to the table which actually was quite amusing, we almost had a sweepstake to see what would be missed next! Overall though it was pretty good.
Bernard Anderson

Water from Scotland

Post by Bernard Anderson »

I forgot to mention that we could not for the life of us work out why the seahorse sells bottled water form SCOTLAND (Highland Spring!) seems a bit mad when they have 'Local' bottled water suppliers. So if you are concerned about 'Food miles' ask for tap water ! :o
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Well, Bernard, I guess its because some people prefer their 'spring water' flavoured with Scottish sheep droppings rather than Trini goats. :wink:
Wyn Emanuel

The Seahorse Inn - a maximum security restaurant.

Post by Wyn Emanuel »

We ate at the Seahorse Inn last week and the standard of food was very good indeed. You can eat well at reasonable cost - as long as you are prudent in your choice of wine. Some of the prices are impressive indeed.

However, new security measures make it look a bit like a POW camp from the outside. High new fencing has gone up, topped with a double row of barbed wire - presumably to tackle a burglary problem. And they are building a guardhouse at the entrance - or maybe it's a machine gun nest. Anyway, it may be necessary but it's not pretty.

A new restaurant has opened at Pleasant Prospect, the Fish Pot. We had a nice lunch there and a very pleasant dinner, which due to an island-wide power cut we had to finish by torchlight - taking it in turns to have the beam on our plates. It doesn't have a liquor licence yet though, and has limited opening hours for the time being.

The Grand Courlan / Grafton beach bar also doesn't have a licence at present, so no beers with lunch. It seems deserted at the moment.

Best food of we experienced was at the Blue Haven. Not cheap by local standards, but definitely worth it as the cooking and service were superb.
Wendy Whitehouse

Re: Seahorse Inn review

Post by Wendy Whitehouse »

My family ate at the Seahorse in October 07. Couldn't fault it. Food- service and surroundings were all good. If anyone wants a moan about restaurants - try The Pavillion - we were recommended to go there for a birthday celebration. We booked a table for eight o'clock and ordered a birthday cake. At 8.15 we had to ask for drinks. We ordered food it had not appeared by 9.10 so we made our exit our special night ruined.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”