Castara Restaurants

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Castara Restaurants

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi David Watkins and other Castara lovers!!

If any of you have stayed in Castara recently, or are going to soon, I'd like an update on the restaurants. We're going on Feb. 21st. & staying at the Naturalist. Of course, we will have Ancle's BBQ -- great food!!

But what about the other places? We haven't visited for 2 yrs. & I know things can change. Who's doing good food at a reasonable price? And what are the prices like (you can use TT's, GBP or US$)?

I'd really appreciate any info all of you kind forum readers can give! Thanks in advance!!

Joanne Green
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Jo B »

Hello Joanne

We were in Castara for two weeks in October 2006, and the previous September.

Unfortunately we were not there when the Boathouse was open, so can't comment on that - I'm sure one of the other Castara regulars will be able to update you on what's going on there.

Last year we ate at Vera's (D'Almond Tree), Marguerite's and the Cascreole, as well as Sandcastles. We didn't get to L&H's as we were generally out during the day. This year we only had a drink in the Treehouse of the Cascreole, but they have put a kitchen there now, and the food being cooked certainly smelt good and seemed in line with the other local restaurants! Marguerite's and Vera's were both up to standard this year - good value, local food.

For a special occasion or treat, we do recommend Adam and Ria at Sandcastles. They are more expensive, but the food is more European in standard and style, and Adam keeps a good wine cellar. They were about to open their new restaurant when we were last there, so it will be up and running now. But you do need to book in advance.

So, I'm sure you'll find most of Castara as it was when you were last there, with plenty of choices of places to eat. The ladies' bread and cakes were just as good too, the coconut pies being particularly recommended.

Jo x
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hello Joanne,the Boathouse is open and doing very well thge food and service are remarkably improved,the Cascreole(tretops) has Creole menu at lunch and a more European feel in the evening(steaks,chops etc).Vera's and Margeurittes are still the same excepting that Vera,s has been expanded.Sandcasles(Adam and Ria)is now operating fully and is awaiting its'liquor licence.
Marvin is waiting for his licence also to open his bar/restaurant but does occasionally have a bbq there(opposite the health centre).Of course Miss Merlines and Coddries are still there for the quiet lime!!!!
David :D 8)
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi david--

Thanks for replying. What kind of prices did you pay at the Boathouse & Cascreole? Did you have lobster? If so, where & at what price? Are you going to be in the Castara region anytime after Feb. 22? We could get together for a drink!!

Joanne Green
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Joanne,I leave Castara for the Lowlands(Carnival& Pan)8Feb.You can expect to pay between TT$ 70 to 150 in either establishment.Unfortunately there is a dearth of lobster at the moment,but usually if they are available it costs TT$150--200.
Regards David :D 8)
Jane Crossley

Castara Restaurants

Post by Jane Crossley »

Joanne - just returned from 2 weeks in Castara (first visit). The Boathouse is open regularly - very friendly service - great rum punches - food good (less authentically creole) - sometimes too obviously microwaved (to warm up food). Don't miss Wednesday night - they have a set meal TT150 each including all rum punches, live pan band and then locals play drums. Say hi to Sheron (owner) from Jane and Val - and a hug to Tiger (her dog and Cleo, cat). Vera's has very tasty food, cooked while u wait (not microwaved). Her lunch time rotis are sooooooo good. DO NOT MISS Marguerite's Local Cuisine - ample servings (about TT175 for 2). The food is gently infused with local spices - truly divine! We tried fish, chicken and pork - all excellent and their homemade sorrel drink is the best. Enjoy - Jane
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi Jane--

Thanks for the update. Yes, we found Margurites to have the best food at the most reasonable prices. We didn't know about her sorrel drink though. We love sorrel! Such a different flavor from other fruit juices.

Joanne
Mary G

Post by Mary G »

We spent our first week in Tobago in March 2007 and had a lovely time - apart from the food which was such a disappointment :cry:

We stayed in Castara and would report as follows on the four restaurants we tried:

The Boathouse :D - the best quality food at reasonable prices. The Steel Pan night is well worth going to. Lunches vary every day - but are always fairly substantial so go elsewhere if you just want a snack.

Marguerittes :( - mediocre food with the most impolite service we encountered in Tobago. A real disappointment. The only good side was that you could take your own drinks - we splashed out on a bottle of red plonk at the nearby shop.

Veras/D'Almond Tree :) - we had a lovely lunch time veggie roti here. Friendly service but a bit slow. No licence but you are encouraged to buy your Caribs at the shop under the L&H restaurant just over the road.

Cascreole :evil: - I have saved the worst til last! We went here for lunch and, having ordered fish and waited 40 minutes, we were amazed to be told that the fish had run out! We don't eat meat but were told by the friendly waitress we could have a vegetarian option. This consisted of slimy deep-fried aubergine, wilted lettuce, carrot which tasted off and a piece of bread smothered in raw garlic with a bit of butter. And that was it! To add insult to injury, we were charged the price of the fish meal (we only realised this afterwards or we would have said something).

So, to sum up, we recommend the Boathouse and Veras but suggest steering clear of the others and eating in!
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

We found the service at Margurittes to be very fast & friendly. We were always greeted with a smile! We tend to dine early, so maybe it's different later in the evening. The food is reasonably priced (comperable to Vera's) & we liked it.
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

We loved Veras and never really found it that slow. Anyway slow was one of the reasons we were in staying in Castara so I guess it is all relative. We had breakfast there on our last day in Castara and did have to wait while 2 year old Pumpkin was taken to school, but look at the location... five more minutes of chillin' in paradise. Oh Yeah! In the evening there were always surprise treats like home-made chocolate cake and ice-cream. I think Vera likes to experiment a bit, well it's the only time I have ever had Guinness ice -cream.

We never had a bad meal at Cascreole and were always looked after royally by Debbie. We were particularly fond of the fish ( whatever the guys had brought in that day) and ate fish that I had previously never heard of.

The food at the Boathouse was also good (except for one day when we had curried bonita which was as tough as old boots) but more expensive than Veras and Cascreole.

We ate at Margeurittes and found it friendly enough but the food rather bland and the location not very inspiring. Cheap though!

All in all there isn't much variation in the food served in Castara's eating places but, as David Watkins says somewhere else in this forum, (HI David), you'll only pay between TT70 and TT120 per person which ain't bad on Tobago.

Tony
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Williams »

Have a problem in that I probably agree with most of the points made on this posting which is why I would always opt to stay in a place with self catering facilities as I have to admit that even a true Castaraphile needs a change every now and then, although this only means grilled fresh fish with mashed potatoes and salad for me.
We will have to visit Sandcastles next visit as the reports are consistently good with regard to Adams cooking.
Regards
Paul
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Mary,

I agree with your assessments. My wife and I enjoyed Boathouse and D'Almond but found Cas Creole to be overpriced, slow, and mediocre quality. We didn't try Margueritas so can't offer an opinion. We also ate lunch at L & H and felt it was the best tasting and least expensive of the lunch places. Very friendly and if you ignored the very spartan setting it had a nice view of the beach.

As Paul and others pointed out if you are staying in Castara for any length of time (we were only there four days) the food is all essentially the same style and can get boring.

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Andy & Sara

castara resaurants

Post by Andy & Sara »

We were in Castara over new year, we ate at most of the local eateries.
breakfast at the naturist was good, and the juices were great.
lunch at the almond tree was always good. freshly cooked roti and very reasonably priced.
we ate a few evenings at marguerites which we found to be brilliant. the food was freshly cooked, good portions. Marguerite always had a smile and a chat.
we tried several dishes but our favourites were the goat curry and the shrimp the food at cascreole was good, a bit more expensive than the other places, but well cooked by debbie and has a good menu. overall our favourite has to be marguerites, her great food and geniune friendliness guarantees that we will be back!
don't miss the fantastic bread and cakes from the big clay oven behind the school. i woke up twice to the wonderful smell wafting up the hillside. The coconut cakes and bread are really good. the only difficult thing is deciding what to have!!
Can't wait to be back!
:D :D :D
Rebecca Thorpe

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Post by Rebecca Thorpe »

We must have gone to Margaruittes on an off night. The food was
cold,rubbery and inedible.The service was unfriendly and slow.As
for the view...nice ditch.
Beach house was ok.When we went they had a bbq, nice food and
service was ok.
The seahorse inn, although a big jump in price, was amazing.Beautiful
meals, friendly unfaultable service. A lovely location.Highly recommend
visitors enjoy a meal there. The ice cream was fantastic also!!
Mel M

Post by Mel M »

Don't miss The Boat House on a Wednesday night! Steel pans, African drums, wonderful food, very drinkable rum punch and lovely, friendly service for TT150 you can't go wrong! :D
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

MelImust have missed this--anyone see me there....ever!!!Wednsday in D'Boathouse? :roll:
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

David,

My memory of you that Wednseday night in January in D' Boathouse is that it would have been near impossible for you to have remembered having been there. %*} :twisted:

But, I have the photographic proof http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/vie ... astara_053

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Aw,shucks,Bill!Will this one minor slip in an otherwise pure :roll: life be there to haunt me forever?
David.
Regards to you both,will you be going out this winter?
Johanna Y.
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Johanna Y. »

:lol: :lol: :lol: [-X
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Not you as well Johanna :cry:

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”