Restaurants in Crown Points

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Camillad

Restaurants in Crown Points

Post by Camillad »

Hi :lol: We have just come home from Tobago! We lived at Surfside Hotel in Crownn Point.
We want to recommend two fantastic Restaurants!!
First Restaurant "Panache Creole" in Crown Point!!!! We got wonderful food there, we must say exquisite!!!
When we were there and ate there was a German chef and his wife who served!! His food is fantastic!!!!!!!! We have never ate something like that.

The other Restaurant we will recommend is "Cafe Coco" Crown Point!

We had pancakes for breakfast at "House of Pancakes" Bon Accord, near crown Point, tasty pancakes :lol:
Sharon Keeler
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Sharon Keeler »

We also did most of our eating out in the Crown Point area. Here's my feedback:

Bonkers -- Went for a late lunch. Excellent fish, chicken and chips. Burger OK. Good service, reasonably priced, $40TT/meal. Love the pool-side atmosphere.

Cafe Iguna -- Went for dinner. Outstanding on all counts. Our party started with the jerk pork. For dinner we had the shrimp, mahi mahi, and coconut chicken. While the chicken was a bit overdone, the rest where excellent. With a bottle of wine, bill came to $900TT. Fantastic service, by the way, and the place was pretty busy.

After Hours -- Near the airport. What a great place! Went here twice. Once for lunch take-out. For $35TT you get a huge portion of chicken or pork, macaroni pie, potato salad and green salad. Also went here at night for take-away "cutters," or appetizers as we call them in the US. Great jerk chicken and fried wings with salad or fries for about $40TT.

Sandy Point Beach Club Cafe -- As we stay at the timeshare, we went here on several occasions, sampling breakfast, lunch and dinner. All fantastic in a great setting right on the ocean. My favorites include the fried bake and flying fish for breakfast, fried chicken and roti for lunch, and the split pea soup and shrimp dish for dinner. Prices range from $35TT for breakfast and lunch to about $85TT and up for dinner (dinners are three courses with soup or salad, entree, and dessert).

Bago's Beach Bar -- On the turn to Pigeon Point. This became one of our favorite places to stop after a day on the beach. Ice-cold Caribs and Stags. We also had excellent fish and chicken and chips, shrimp, burgers and roti. Prices ranging from $40TT and up. Fast, friendly service and a great view of the sea and sunset.

House of Pancakes -- Good breakfast. Try the nutmeg syrup on your pancakes, yum! Relaxing garden setting and friendly service. Can't remember what we paid, but I think it was around $35TT.

The doubles lady at the airport -- This is my favorite place for breakfast. If you are in the Crown Point area this is not to be missed. Tasty and cheap.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks for your report Sharon.

Can you just confirm the price you paid at Cafe Iguana - TT$900? Is that correct. How many people was that for?
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Williams »

To A.Lall
It is really great to see a positive report on a Tobago restaurant as sadly a lot of recent reports have not been.
We are in the process of planning a trip round the island based on good places to eat and we will definitely try Panache.
Regards
Paul
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Bertam

Thanks for an excellent run-down of your favourites and not-so's.
I like the :D rating - good idea.

It will be another 11 months or so before we return to Tobago :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: but we'll certainly check out Panache after such good reviews.

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I am sorry if Paul and Steve's posts don't quite make sense, but two posts have been hidden pending further investigation.

The two posts concerned are ‘rave’ reviews of a restaurant. They were posted by A.Lall and Bertram Hänger. I was highly suspicious of these reports for several reasons. Firstly, they were exceptionally detailed. Secondly, they could well have been written by the same person. This was particularly noticeable because English was clearly not the author’s first language (A.Lall claims to by British, Bertram German). A third and highly significant point was that both user accounts were registered on the same day – a month before the post – and both posts were made only a few hours apart. Coincidences? I think not!

Most convincing of all, however, was the fact that these users claimed to be from the UK and Germany. However, both reports were filed in the Caribbean – one in Tobago.

Suspicions aroused, I wrote to both users asking them to confirm that they had no association with the restaurant or anyone working their. My emails received no reply. Neither did my follow ups. Neither user has filed any other reports, but they have periodically logged into the forum and checked this thread, presumably to see whether their posts are still here and whether I have taken any action.

I know and highly respect the owners of the restaurant concerned. I would find it hard to believe that he would be involved in any attempt to manipulate public opinion through false reports. However, the new chef is another matter. For that reason I have been in a quandary on how to handle this matter. As a result, I took the cowards way out and did nothing. However I today received a private email from someone currently holidaying on Tobago and asking me to jog their memory with the name of this “new restaurant that everyone is raving about? German chef and his wife I think?”. It made me realise that leaving the posts is also possibly creating a very wrong impression.

There is a final twist in the story. One that in many ways made the decision for me. Readers may remember my 2007 Trip Report, posted in this forum back in March. In that report I said…
Restaurant disasters? Well there were a couple. One was down to bad timing and bad luck and so it would be unfair to name them. However, I am keeping a close watch on that restaurant to make sure that our rating is still valid.
Well, it pains me to report that that disaster was this very restaurant. We had gone there to see how this new chef was working out. Well, the evening was a disaster. The half-empty plates of other diners were clear evidence of how others felt. I felt so embarrassed for the owner, who arrived shortly before we left. He was terribly apologetic and I felt so sorry for him. Despite no charge for the meal being made, we did not feel inclined to return and check it out later in the trip. I had no choice but to remove the restaurant from our list of personal favourites, listed in the Restaurant section.

It is naturally only understandable that owners, staff and friends and relatives associated with restaurants and other businesses may sometimes try to “help” and sometimes go overboard in so doing. I do not know if this is the case here. All I can say is that I do not believe that these two reports were genuine visitor comment and have therefore removed them from the forum.
Steve Wooler
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

The plot thickens!!! :twisted:

From Tobago 8) 8) 8) 8)
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hugh S wrote:The plot thickens!!! :twisted:
Like the soup, eh Hugh?

Steve - feel free to remove my post too, as it is now surplus to requirements

Bon appetite
Steve
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Mr. Pitts,

Congrats on your win! I will probably get to cash mine in sooner. :lol:

I think I'll wait and see on Panache.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hugh S wrote:Mr. Pitts,
Congrats on your win! I will probably get to cash mine in sooner. :lol:
Hi Hugh

Hope Steve has managed to sort out your prize.
Emails have been flying around to get something sorted during your visit.

On another subject - how's the fishing? (Better not answer that, as it's off topic)

Cheers
Steve
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Steve P,

I hate to admit that I have not tested the waters yet. I somehow forgot to pack the reel I use for beach casting and brought only a big 40 pound test trolling reel. (I have four rods here already.) Maybe I should take the spinning gear or the fishing trip??? Tough choices huh? Life in Paradise . . . 8)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi All

Life is full of twists and turns and I must offer an update to my earlier posting above.

In my post I refer to the fact that we had a disastrous evening at Panache back in February. We went there to try the “new German chef". Well, unbeknown to us, Panache was actually operating as two different restaurants at that time. The new chef, Christian, was operating three nights a week with his own style of catering; the other four nights being operated as the original Panache Creole Restaurant.

With this in mind, I now accept that our ‘disastrous’ night was not one of Christian’s nights. We had gone on a ‘Panache’ night, when sadly a relief chef was on duty. Therefore, our experiences should obviously not be held against the new restaurant.

Although the two restaurants operated in this manner for some months, I am delighted to announce that the situation has been resolved. Frankly, it was a daft arrangement and I’m glad it has been sorted. We all accept that the chef might have nights off. It is up to the establishment to provide consistent quality regardless of who is on duty. To have a situation where the public you don’t even know ‘which restaurant’ is operating on a particular night (or even be aware that two different restaurants offering different styles of cuisine are operating from the same premises) is frankly madness.

Anyway, lets put that behind us and clarify the current position.

Panache Creole restaurant has now closed. A new restaurant has opened at the same premises in Pigeon Point Road. The new restaurant is called ‘Latitude 11’. The new restaurant is owned and run by chef Christian Schwendt and his Trinidadian wife Utisha, who run the front-of-house. Christian describes his cuisine as a “a mixture of French-Polynesian-Creole foods / tastes - very freestyle”. They have sent me a long and detailed description of their menu. It wouldn’t be appropriate to publish it here, but I have to admit that it really had my mouth watering. It is clearly a very different type of restaurant to the old Panache.

Tobago desperately needs some decent restaurants offering varied cuisine and good service at realistic prices. As such, I fervently hope that Christian and Utisha can achieve this and am delighted to wish them every success with their new restaurant. We shall certainly try Latitude 11 on our next trip and I look forward to some genuine visitor reports in the meantime.
Steve Wooler
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

I'm really pleased that this has been sorted out. I've been fortunate enough to eat food that Christian has prepared several times, and I must admit, I was wondering about this thread as I've only ever had excellent food from him. I wish him and Utisha much luck. They really are very good at what they do, and I shall definitely visit them (if they can fit me in!) as soon as I'm able!

Thanks for clarifying Steve!

Lisa.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Thanks for the follow-up Steve. I hope to visit them soon and will report back.
8)
Geoff Seabrook
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Can't find Latitude 11

Post by Geoff Seabrook »

Went to try Latitude 11 last night and could not find it. May be it's not open yet. We ended up in Cafe Coco, which was excellent.

Geoff
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Latitude 11 is opposite the turn for Cafe Coco, there is a souvenir/beach shop next door.

Linda
Geoff Seabrook
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Geoff Seabrook »

Went and had a closer look. Only signs are for the Panache Creole in that building. With two hungry teenagers we decided not to risk a dissapointment.

Geoff
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Geoff

It IS the Panache Creole building. We must assume they haven't changed the sign yet - but my understanding from the new owner/chef is that Panache has closed and he is running it 7 days a week. I wrote to them saying you were having problems finding and asking if they were open and/or had changed the signage, but have had no reply.
Steve Wooler
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Geoff

Your post prompted me to follow up and I've had an immediate reply from Christian's wife Utisha. They WERE closed last Wednesday, as Christian was in Trinidad getting supplies for the new restaurant. Their new signage comes this Friday (tomorrow?) - although it does say Latitude 11 on the menu board outside. Utisha sends her apology for the confusion, but they've only just got the place full-time and everything has been a bit of a rush. They are still working on the place (hence paint and plastic sheeting inside) but will be fully operational soon - but ARE open every evening.
Steve Wooler
Merlin
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Three weeks to go!

Post by Merlin »

Wow... nice restraurant rundown... wife and I will be there in three weeks! Our first trip to tobago.... wow.... looking forward to it.....

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”