Don't worry about drinking the water

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Don't worry about drinking the water

Post by Carol Townsend »

For the first day or two we bought the local "Blue Water" bottled water, and used tap water for tea. We then got daring and drank the tap water, which though cloudy at times was absolultely fine. We kept some in the fridge and it was very refreshing. We also put small bottles in the freezer to take out and about -it stays cold for quite some time,and you can't drink rum punch ALL the time. :wink:
We did suspect that the" Blue Water" was the same stuff that comes out of the taps anyway, and is intended for people without their own supply. I was rather surprised to see people cleaning their teeth and doing their washing in the stream. Is this because the water was cut off, which I understand does happen to conserve it, and they don't have a storage tank, or are they permanently without their own supply?
I must say I hadn't expected this level of poverty, if poverty is what it is; maybe they don't consider themselves poor and who am I to say what poverty is?
Anyway, when we got back home to good old British water, all I could taste was chlorine!
Carol
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

I don't think it is poverty if people use the river water... a garden tab is quite cheap, but some people are just used to it and stick to it. they just don't care about having an own batrhroom so much. many tiimes you see folk "shower" under the public tabs in the street... and why not.
we sometimes go for a river bath in the night, there is nothing more refreshing (and I mean with soap and towel).
sometimes there are problems with the water lines and if you don't havve maaany laaarge tanks you will run out of water evntually... there is always the river ;o)
the tab water is OK for drinking, just that it does not taste too good sometimes. you have to give the chlorine time to settle... the bottle water is the same water, but filtered and purified, so there is not a single mineral in it (unless it says so on the bottle)...
cheers
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Thanks for your answer Steph.
I stand corrected.It's all too easy to impose one's materialistic Western standards on other communities. What matters is health and happiness. I can remember being regarded with pity for many years when we couldn't afford to run a car!
Regards
Carol
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

here it is about different priorities. some people rather have a cell phone, a PC or a fancy car than a nice house with running water... I've seen it. I lived with the family for years... alibabas family that is... :wink:

steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

There is more poverty in the US than Tobago(wait for it Watkins)Carol,how many street urchins did you see?? How many drunken derelicts-(excepting a European or two on Old Year'sat Coddries)?Not a lot methinks.
Bagonians are a very proud people and there is no poverty as you would find in Grenada,Cuba,Dom Rep,Mexico,etc all very popular destinations for Brit tourists.
Sorry to sound a bit antagonistic :oops:
David :D
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

David,
Of course you are right. I've not travelled much but I am aware of what goes on in the world. I've not been to the US but Britain is hardly Utopia is it? I hope I haven't caused offence, especially to the proud and generous Tobagonians. Ever opened your mouth and inserted your foot? :oops: :oops: :oops:
In fact I've just been telling friends about the happy lifestyle in Tobago.
Regards
Carol

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”