grocery shopping

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Jennifer C
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

grocery shopping

Post by Jennifer C »

Can anyone tell me if they know of a grocery where one can buy tortilla's or taco/tostada shells? I would love to make mexican food for my friends but my skills stop short of tortilla making. I really don't want to haul them from Canada.
Also where can one find good multigrain/whole grain bread?
I stay out in the country so driving from place to place looking is more time consuming (don't want to take too much time out of limin' :D )
Thanks for any ideas.
Peter Kuhn

Post by Peter Kuhn »

Hi Jennifer,
the best chance to get stuff you like to buy is at Morshead Gourmet Foods,Mt. Pleasant.
Please look behind this link: http://www.mytobago.info/shopping.php#

I hope it helps,
Peter
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Jennifer,I'm pretty sure you vcan get them at Pennysaver's.
David(62 days 23 hours 17 min to take off :lol: )
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Jennifer,

The guys are both right - Pennysavers and Morshead have both tacos and tortillas, and Morshead even has different flavours of tortillas!! There's plenty of avocados around right now for guacamole too!! Oh, except they're called zabucas (not sure on spelling, but that's the pronounciation!) here!!

Enjoy!
Lisa.
Jennifer C
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Jennifer C »

Thanks for the help. I will check those locations.
As a matter of fact I have a standing request to make Guacamole when I arrive. The request is "can you make some of that guaca..maca..stuff that you made last time, its good?". It is good to know that the avacados are in season right now. I should be in Tobago by Oct 12.
I am not sure if my original request was totally clear now that I re-read it and account for regional differences in food language. I was looking for the flatbread tortillas (for burritos etc) not tortilla chips. Although I will buy those too! Then if you were from Venezuela, tortilla actually means scrambled eggs there, which is definitely not what I meant! :P
Mexican food went over much better than spaghetti. My Tobago friends told me that it (spaghetti) was OK but not real food :D The differences are the reason that I go :wink:
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hiya!

They do the tortilla chips too (all SORTS of flavours of those!!), but I was referring to the ones that you can use for fajitas, burritos and chimichangas, etc! Yummm..... that's just given me an idea for dinner this evening!!

Morshead also does re-fried beans, jalapenos, varying strengths of dips and even the Old El Paso cheese dip!

Yes, I can definitely feel a Mexican evening coming on VERY soon!!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Lisa,guacamole mole is mashed avocado(egg plant?)with flavourings of your choise.If you want a recipe I can post it here,
David
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hiya David,

Thanks for the offer, but I think you may have misread my post! However, if you want to MAKE it for me when you get here, and it's better than the recipe that I have.... then I'll DEFINITELY have your recipe!!! :wink: I make it a habit never to turn down good recipes! I have a large avocado tree growing right outside my bedroom window and will probably break my neck trying to reach them one of these days!!

Lisa.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”