Baked Goods in Castara

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Alice_Karr

Baked Goods in Castara

Post by Alice_Karr »

Hello,

My name is Alice, and my husband and I are arriving in Castara on the 19th (Dec) for our honeymoon. I've heard that sometimes the ladies in Castara will bake breads and/or cakes and offer them for sale. Does this happen regularly? And if so, where in Castara can I find these delicious-sounding things?

Thanks,
Alice

PS My husband and I are super excited about our first trip to Tobago ever! :D
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Baked Goods in Castara

Post by Brian Taylor »

hello alice
the ladies bake every thursday and saturday (unless the oven is not under repair , happened a few weeks back, or the rain is pouring down too much, should not happen too soon again...).
they start in the morning and have the first batch usually around 11 or 12... ask for the pastries, they don't show them but hide them in plastic containers so no fly can touch them... little coconut pies and other goodies...yummy!
enjoy
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Caroline Brookes »

Hi Brian
You omitted to say precisely where the ladies who bake these delicacies are located in Castara. As we shall be in Castara in Feb. this is vital information that we need as husband Ted will want to be first in the queue.

Caroline
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

you can't miss it...castara is not that big :wink:
cross the bridge over to cascreole restaurant in the big bay and on the left there is a gate in the fence... you will see it easily...enjoy!
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Alice_Karr

Post by Alice_Karr »

Steph,

Thanks very much for the info. Those pastries sound delicious!

Alice
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Hello Alice,
The oven is huge, made of clay and worth seeing for itself. There is a roaring fire, and the ladies wrap the pastries in banana leaves before cooking. You may recognise one of the ladies from the 2007 tourist brochure.
I can recommend the coconut tarts; if you can, take some to eat on the plane home!
Regards
Carol
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi Alice--
If you're staying in a self catering place with a fridge with a freezer, bring along a couple of freezer bags from home. We bought 2 loaves of bread & cut one in half (they're quite long) & froze it. It froze very well & that way, we had bread for our whole 9 day stay. The bread is some of the most delicious that I've ever had. Of course, it has no preservatives, so freezing the 2nd. loaf is essential. The first time we came, we didn't & the 2nd. loaf started to get spots of blue mold on it! We just cut those parts off & ate the rest, but it's better if you can freeze some.

The bread ( & all the baked goods) has become so popular, that the ladies will take your name & you can come back later for your stuff.

Enjoy!
Jessica G.

Post by Jessica G. »

FYI, the bread that they bake on the day of sell out quickly, so it is best if you pre-order so that you will not be disappointed. We had to figure out this pre-ordering system ourselves since the ladies who bake weren't very informative. We ended up wasting a whole morning waiting for bread that was already sold :( Their bread was definitely worth the wait though :)

Jess
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

You must seek this out..their food is delicious and it is an amzing sight to see in itself with the open air cooking.

We went along at about 11am on a thursday. There were only a handful of people there at the start but after 5mins a queue had formed. We had some pone and some cake. The pone was so nice. People were pre-ordering their bread to collect later and although the ladies were not that forthcoming I just wandered up and asked for what I wanted (after letting a few locals go ahead of me so they got what they were after) first!!

Thanks for alerting me to this source of lovely fresh local food.

Caragh
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

When we were there in January you could buy fresh coconut bread daily from the Clay Kitchen and also crusty loaves from the little yellow-painted shop opposite the Community Centre on the main road. I don't know if it has a name but here is a photo. The loaves were usually ready at around 5pm. All delicious.
Shops.jpg
Shops.jpg (216.84 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
Tony

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”