A tale of two restaurants

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
RosieK
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

A tale of two restaurants

Post by RosieK »

Another couple of data points…

We prefer not to reserve for an evening meal in advance. If we’ve been out and about we may have had an early or perhaps a late lunch; Or maybe we’ve had no lunch at all but have had tea. So we prefer to go out to eat in the evening with as much flexibility as we have during the day.

So off we went Friday night last month (Dec 07), on the recommendation of a shop owner, to try Kariwak around 7:45pm. The restaurant area looked very pleasant. A buffet was set out, and about 25% of tables were occupied. It took a few minutes before anyone came to greet us. We knew we were in trouble with the tone of the initial “Do you have a reservation?” We explained weren’t in a big hurry, would have happily sat at the bar for a while, etc, but the were told, rather impolitely, IMHO, that there were no tables. OK, it’s a Friday night, you don’t always get in, but also, quite frankly, the ‘un’welcome didn’t exactly inspire us to want to eat there! As we walked off, maybe realizing she had been a bit short with us, we were chased and almost pleaded with to book for the next night!

The same shop owner had also recommended Rou B Lou’s. What a difference! Greeted immediately, off to check with ‘Joanna’ if we could be accommodated with the honest admission that it depended on the kitchen & wait staff capacity. “If you don’t mind waiting at the bar we’ll fit you in”. Of course we didn’t and although a couple of the more popular dishes (e.g. delicious sounding prawns) were already unavailable but we had a fine meal none the less. Finished in time for a fun set from a superb drum band (African drums primarily), outside under a starlit sky.
What a difference!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: A tale of two restaurants

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Rosie

Sad to say, your own experience exactly echoes my own.

To be honest, I have real "problems" with the Kariwak, both as a hotel and as a restaurant. That is why it doesn't appear in our recommended lists. I have always found it a supremely unwelcoming place - even when you DO have a reservation. I regret that the bad staff attitude almost certainly filters down from the owners. 'Weird" is the only word to describe them. I count them amongst the rudest and most arrogant people I have met on Tobago.

The catering at the Kariwak has an excellent reputation - far beyond merit in my view. We eat there at least once every trip, simply because of that reputation. I confess that I would not do so if it weren't for the importance of research for this site. I'm still trying to find the justification for Kariwak's reputation. Yes, its undoubtedly above average - but lets be honest, the "average" is pretty low. My benchmark is always the same: would I ever use the establishment if it was based within a my home locale, here in the UK. Given the catering and service standards offered by my local pubs and restaurants, I have to say "no chance".
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Graham W
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Re: A tale of two restaurants

Post by Graham W »

Hi Rosie & Steve

Rosie i'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at the Kariwak , we have dined at the resturant many times and have found it to be excellent however all resturants have bad days/nights even the so called 5 stars.
Steve i know from other threads on this marvellous website that you have a problem with the "Weird" owners and the staff of the Kariwak.We have stopped at other establishments all over Tobago during our 4x 2 week holidays but have enjoyed our best times at the Kariwak, in fact staying there is one of the reasons we keep going back to Tobago.Cynthia the owner is a wonderful person there is nothing that is too much trouble for her, i could write a list of examples to back this up.The staff have also been faultless from waiters/waitresses,gardeners to cleaning ladies and cooks and just like Tobago the Kariwak would not suit everyone but like Tobago we always remember it for our great holidays, wonderful people,peace and quiet.I hope this article will help swing the balance back towards the Kariwak especially for newcomers to mytobago.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”