Eating out in Castara

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Phil Walker

Eating out in Castara

Post by Phil Walker »

As I'm ploughing through some reviews after our fantastic holiday in Castara, Ithought I'd post my thoughts of places to eat in the village.

Let me first say what a wonderful place it is that we have just visited. We ate at the following places-

First night at Margrietes at the bottom of the village. As a first timer to Tobago, let me say I commited the cardinal sin of asking for the menu :oops: . The non too friendly waitress pointed to the chalked board of Chicken, Sprimps, Beef, Goat and Fish. They all came with a "sauce" and rice. We both chose shrimps and the meal was pretty good. Quite a nice hot sauce. However the waitress was not shall we say over enhusiastic. I know it's laid back but this was just bad service as our other experiences were totally different, really friendly and good service.

The second and last time at Margrietes Sarah has a terrible meal, tasting of metal, we did not pay for hers and she shared mine. We did not go back.

Vera's- we ate there twice. Good service. I had the goat curry, tasted of perfume, not nice at all. Sarah had Shrimps and was ok. Had a decent roti once for lunch.

Boathouse, Sharons food was consistantly good. The Wednesday night steel pan night with Rum Punch and local drummers was great. Also cooked a great Lobster for us on our Wedding night.

Clay Kitchen, left down the hill from Coddries. Potentially the best homecooking. We ate here three times and I had three good meals. Some proper local stuff Callaloo etc..Rebecca was a good cook and host and with Brian made a good team. The only let down was the last time we ate Sarah had a "metallic" meal again. Rebecca swapped it for steak and chips.

Cas Creole- never was open when we tried it!

Finally- the Mot-Mot at Alibabas Sea Breeze- Mr David Watkins cooked us a feast of heavenly spiced shark and noodles. Best meal we had on the Island (apart from my own cooked Kingfish :lol: ) Alas this was for only private guests only( us a one off), so please don't go knocking on Alibabas door asking for David!)

All in all meals were as expected and great value for money around $100tt each. Just don't expect Egony Rony standards. And we wish we knew what that metalic taste was....
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: Eating out in Castara

Post by Jill M »

Phil,

Congratulations on the wedding =D>

But I hate to tell you - pregnant women often get a metallic taste in the mouth :shock:

Jill
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Well Phill, that went quick :D :D

*rotfl* to Jill =D>

Cheers
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Phil,

Congratulations on the wedding. Glad to hear you had a great time.

Jill, you're being very naughty [-X

Phil, don't pay any attention to what she said I think she's just jealous that you just got back from Tobago and it's been a while since she was there :D

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Bill,

You are absolutely correct.

When will it be my turn again ??? I tease myself everyday by coming onto this site.

But, sorry if you didn't like what I said, but it's absolutely true - I remember it well!!
Mind you, I also had a metallic taste in the mouth when I had a mouth abscess #-o

Jill.
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Jill,

Having never been pregnant nor ever having an abscess in my mouth I'll have to take your word for it. :roll:

I agree that coming on this site makes me yearn for another return trip but we just have to settle for where the timeshare gods send us (which isn't all that bad - Mazatlan And Cabo in a few weeks =D> and then Puerto Vallarta next year).

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Phil Walker

Post by Phil Walker »

Jill M wrote:Phil,

Congratulations on the wedding =D>

But I hate to tell you - pregnant women often get a metallic taste in the mouth :shock:

Jill
Thanks for all the congrats everybody :)

Jill, if that's the case, then I must be pregnant too 8-[ I've a feeling it could be stuff that is boiled in the same water again and again as it seemed stronger on rice and dumplings.
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

[quote="Phil Walker"

Jill, if that's the case, then I must be pregnant too .[/quote]

Sympathetic symptoms :wink:
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Now now Noe [-X You are as naughty as me :lol:
Caragh M

Re: Eating out in Castara - lunch?

Post by Caragh M »

Hi

On this topic where is a good place to grab some quick, nice, cheap, local lunch - like a snack type thing?

Went snorkelling at heavenly last year and will be going again and be great to get something hot and fresh rather than taking the packed lunch cooler from the hotel which was very average.

Thanks

Caragh - less than 4 weeks to go
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Caragh,at Heavenly Bay you have the Boathouse,walk up the hill then up the short cut,you have the Clay Kitchen at Blue Mango.Continue down to Big Bay,you have Cafe Delight,next to this is Vera's Roti and at the other end af Big Bay is Cascreole.Also opposite the Community centre you the Cafe Bar.All of these do a take away service,none is more than a 5 to 10 min walk from Heavenly and,if conditions are right you can just wade round the rocks.
David
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Thanks David. Still a novice re Castara but really want to spend more time there this year as hoping to suss it our for somewhere to stay on future visits.

I'm assuming the boathouse is the one with the dangling wooden fish and rags, ribbons hanging down in it - really bad description I know!! We had a soft drink there last year after snorkelling as no food or alcohol available and we just wanted refreshing anyway. Wasn't sure what else there was nearby but we should have explored further. As it was we parked at big bay - couldn't find the road/track to heavenly!! even though had driven past it twice - had to ask and then a very nice lady, who may have been German from memory hopped in our car and showed us the road so we drove round and parked at heavenly bay. Wanted to keep an eye on it and the things in the boot as it was a soft top so decided not to leave it out of sight. After that we just left and never realised really there were so many places to eat...will make sure we look around this time.

Can't wait to be there

Caragh :D
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Jo B »

Caragh, for lunch in Castara you really can't beat Vera's roti. But don't leave it too late, as once it's gone, that's it! She serves soft drinks, but you can always get yourself a Carib from the shop just up the track. Personally we had one bad experience at Cafe Delight and wouldn't go back - appalling service and not particularly appetising food. For a very local lunch there is L&? (sorry, can't remember exact initials, someone will correct me), above the small shop by the fish co-op. Sadly we have never had the opportunity to try the Boathouse, as we always go in the autumn when they're closed. :(

Jo x
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hey Jo,

it's L & H and they offer really local food. I took my friends there the day we arrive and they got the right feeling right from the beginning :D

Jo, maybe this time you will be more lucky with the boathouse and if not you can go to Adams Sandcastle which is not the cheapest but gorgeous food and service.

Cheers
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Jo B »

Hello Gisela, long time no see!

Sadly, as I prefer going away in September/October I doubt I will ever sample the delights of the Boathouse (Brenton/Sharon????). Such a shame as it is such a short roll down the lane from Young's House.

Regarding Sandcastles, Steve and I have eaten with Adam and Ria a few times and always had a good dinner.

Jo x
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Thanks for the tips everyone. Bearing in mind I really do not know Castara, where are L&H and Vera's roti - thanks for the advice Jo. I basically know where both bays are and the road through. Also the hilly track down to heavenly bay. Idiot proof directions please - or I could just ask when there.

Caragh :)
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Hi Caragh

L & H and Vera's are both in Big Bay (though I have never found L & H open, or it may have been but just didn't look like it was). I also have found Cafe Delight to be a place to avoid - slow, unfriendly service and uninteresting fare. Castara is so small that you will find everywhere quite easily, but if you get stuck - just ask. People will be only too happy to point you in the right direction.

Have a lovely time.

Tony
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Caragh,Vera's is right next to the Naturalist and Cafe Delight,L&H is above the little grocery shop by the fishermen's co-op.
David
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Thanks

Guess I'm being a bit silly really as sure will find them. Sometimes its hard as you tend to tell people where things are in relation to other things i.e next to.... or above...and I don't know where they are either. I thought Castara was quite small but I seem to have missed a lot on my first visit!!

I'll stop with the questions now and just chill a bit more.

8)
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Caragh,

it's very easy. If you walk from the "main road" to the big bay you pass DJ and his fruit shop (left) and Marvins restaurant (right). Shortly before the fishermans coop on the left side is a little shop and on top of this shop is a very smal restaurant. This ist L & H. If you turn right (oposite of L & H) there is a smal path behind the beach direction Naturalist and you will bump into Veras Roti.
But like Toni wrote Castara is very smal and you will easily find everthing. Or just follow your nose :^o :D

Cheers
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”