Pre-prepared food

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Tina

Pre-prepared food

Post by Tina »

Hi there,

First post here and only 4 more sleeps until we leave for Tobago. We are very excited :D !!

My question is whether the grocery stores have a pre-prepared food counter with preferably local foods that you can take back to a villa and heat up and/or serve. If not grocery stores, are there any other specialty places that sells food that requires no prep but just heat and serving? We will be in the Scarborough area.

Thanks.
Tina
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Pre-prepared food

Post by Ronald »

Hi
I haven´t seen pre-prepared local food at Penny Savers, but I would guess that many smaller local food places can offer take-away. I you don´t get specific answers here, ask peoples where you stay.

I know one place, the food shops at Store bay Beach in Crown Point, if you are around there usinga a car it´s easy to bring back home.
Ronald
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Tina,the only heat and eat I've seen are pizzas,however most restaurants and eateries offer a take away service,but I wouldn't risk re-heating.
David
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Caroline Brookes »

Hi Tina

We have just got back from Tobago, part self catering. We went to Penny Savers in Canaan. They have a large open freezer at the back of the store with plenty of pre-prepared food. I bought a pizza pack of two pizzas, a beef lasagne and four red snapper fish, filleted, all frozen. The beef lasagne was enough for 4 but we cut in half over two nights for the two of us. The red snapper was good. I bought some aluminium foil to baked them. Very easy without the mess of a pan to clean out. I used the foil to cook other food in the oven too. Take some plastic containers to store things like sugar. The dairy milk powder is everywhere - no fresh milk that I saw. The powder is easy to make up in convenient quantities.

Caroline
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

There is no fresh milk,unless you live near a goat farm.It is all UHT or that horrid pasturised stuff(like Carnation).Frozen red snapper isn't exactly heatt to eat,you can get loads of frozen meat and fish product,but,honestly if you are going to cook --particularly fish,get it fresh .Fresh fish takes very little time to cook.
David
Tina

Post by Tina »

Thanks for the replies. I plan on doing fish as often as possible. Is it good to get at the Scarborough market?

I am glad someone mentioned the milk too. My boys drink litres of it at home but love juice and things too so maybe we will just stick with milk for coffee.

3 more days!
Tina
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Tina,yes you can get fresh fish at the market,I assume you are staying in the Crown Point area,if so it might be just worth going out to Mt Irvine and buying from the fishermen there.
David(enjoy)
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

The RT Morshead supermarket offers fresh rotisserie chicken and pork on Friday and Saturday mornings. They're usually available from 10 or 11 in the morning. But they sell out quickly.

On Friday and Saturday evenings in front of Pennysavers Supermarket in Carnbee, a lady sells local foods - pig foot and chicken foot souse, black pudding (blood sausage), and cassava pone. She usually starts at dusk and is finished before 8pm.

Clyde
Tina

Post by Tina »

Hi David,

Actually, we are staying near Bacolet.

Thanks everyone for the food advice. At this point, with the amount of snow and freezing rain we have had here, the thing I am looking forward to the most is the warm sun and RUM! :D

Tina

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”