Latitude 11 - Revisited

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Jackie Hyden

Latitude 11 - Revisited

Post by Jackie Hyden »

How good it is to see this fantastic restaurant going from strength to strength, Utisha and Christian are such a hard working couple they deserve every success - and by the look of things they are going to be very successful!! The restaurant was full most evenings and unless you want to be disappointed I would strongly recommend booking a table and be flexible about time as 8pm seems to be the most popular. The food as always was superb and the portions are huge Christian is a magician in the kitchen using the best produce available and Utisha is an absolute delight at 'front of house'. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough and the best tip I can give is book a table and spend a couple of hours relaxing and enjoying this delightful restaurant, you are on holiday so there is nothing to rush for so sit back and enjoy. We for certain will be back.
Liz Othman

Re: Latitude 11 - Revisited

Post by Liz Othman »

I agree whole heartedly with Jackie Hyden's review. This was our 1st visit to Tobago and just as I was giving up hope of finding really well prepared food....we found Latitude quite by accident for lunch. It was so "delish" and Christian was so charming, we went back for dinner that day and then ate dinner there every evening until we left. It was that good!! Latitude is THE best dinner spot. Nice wine selection, well priced. Do make reservations and be prepared to relax over a very fine meal.
I am a "food snob" and the cleanliness of the kitchen, quality of the ingredients and the skill and creativity in preparation are most important to me. Tobago has several nicely appointed restaurants. Some even have live entertainment. I found the food to be "okay" at best.

We found really good roti at several small "establishments". One which I would recommend is nearby. As you approach the Pigeon Point turn off the main road, there is a fruit stand on your right...across the road on your left is a dirt road/path ..turn in here and behind the "shop" (which is on the main road) is a little white building serving Roti. Very nice. Everything is prepared fresh that morning so when it's gone... it's gone. Lots of lunch traffic so get there before 1pm.
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

Finally got around to visiting Latitude 11 last week and have to say that it's THE best place i've eaten at so far on Tobago,and i've eaten in a LOT of places. It was Monday evening and the place was quiet as it was early but we were made very welcome and the choice of about 5 starters and 6 mains was all that was needed,the quality of the food and service was superb,the wine we had was excellent and the portion sizes were very generous,in fact we shared a starter as we didnt want to spoil our mains.Next time we'll go there starving hungry and enjoy both! Expect to pay around $500TT for the meal with drinks :D HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Roswitha Rietzschel

Post by Roswitha Rietzschel »

=D> Latitude 11 is the best restaurant in Tobago - and we have vistied many reastaurants all over the island! Every meal is prepared fresh and individually espacially for you. Here is no fast food, no manufactured article. Instead there is fresh fish and mussels with delicious spices and a little lobster souce for which the lobster shells hve been cooked for hours with champaign and white whine. And there are tender steaks with mashed potato combined with sweet potato and fresh vegetables. DELICIOUS! Go there for a good dinner - and please don't worry if it should take somewhat more than 15 minutes for the meal to be served. Remember that the meal is cooked fresh. It is amazing and applaudable to see charming Patricia bringing the delicious and so nice arranged dishes from the basic equiped kitchen, where here husband Christian cooks.
We had a good conversation with Christian - it is interesting to hear from a german cook about the good and bad times having a restaurant in Tobago. I which those couple success and fortune with their restaurant - they really deserve it. Our best Regards to Patricia and Christian from Rolf & Rosi.
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

I fully endorse all the above comments, but wanted to point out that it's Utisha, (not Patricia!) and Christian. However, with the nice comments, I doubt very much that she'd mind!

Lisa.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Folks

Sadly, I must report that as indicated in our Restaurant listings for the last few weeks, Latitude 11 is closed and it looks increasingly unlikely to re-open.

This restaurant got off to a bad start on myTobago after I was forced to remove rave reports clearly penned by the same person and which the alleged posters declined to validate. We have a policy of 'naming and shaming' businesses who attempt to manipulate public opinion through self-promotion or false reports.

Having said that, I'm more than happy to keep an open mind. Given the generally poor state of dining out on Tobago and the desperate need for some decent dining choice, I was more than happy to listen to the many genuine good reviews that the restaurant subsequently received, plus the endorsement by friends on the island. During our recent trip we visited the restaurant three times and left Tobago firmly of the opinion that Latitude 11 had become our favourite restaurant on the island. At that time, I would have endorsed Rolf and Rosi's comments.

Since then, things have gone pear-shaped. In fact, the more I hear (and am able to validate), the more I feel like a total chump for eating there, giving them the benefit of the doubt and for raving about the place. For various reasons I will say no more. However, Latitude 11 is closed and I will be astonished if it reopens.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jackie Hyden

Post by Jackie Hyden »

I have just logged onto the site for the first time in ages, and was surprised to hear that the restaurant was closed. I could only speak from personal experience of what we thought of the restaurant and could find nothing bad to say about the food or Utisha & Christian. I wonder if anyone has actually asked them what has happened? I only hope that this is a temporary situation and that they manage to get Latitude 11 re-opened. Good luck to them both we wish them well in everything they do.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi
I passed the place few days ago and a major renovation is going on there. But if it will be same restaurant or some other business, none did know.
Ronald
Sue Wright

Post by Sue Wright »

We ate in Latitude 11 on three occasions during our trip earlier this year, and twice last year, and have nothing but praise for the food, the service and the people who ran it. I would be extremely sad if it had closed completely. It was one of the best places to eat in the Crown Point area and will leave a big hole if it doesn't re-open. Steve - I don't know what the problem was that you had with the restaurant, but from a "non-insider" point of view we loved it and would go back again with no hesitation.

Sue
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sue

I had absolutely no problem with the restaurant, other than aforementioned concerns about self-promotion in the forum - a practise they had already been accused of in another forum after allegedly doing much the same to promote a suspect dive operation they were operating in Speyside.

All I can tell you is that the restaurant was unlicenced and allegedly operating illegally. It would only have been a matter of time before the authorities took action. However, what makes me angry and let down is the fact that I have confirmed reports that when the premises were taken back, a major fumigation process had to be undertaken because of cockroach infestation and blocked drains resulting from non-existent hygeine and maintenance procedures. Playing around with people's health while they are on holiday is totally unacceptable. I never had any problems after eating there - and haven't heard of anyone who has, but the appalling maintenance standards and cockroach infection are facts that cannot be denied. This is something that would NEVER be found in a safe, well-run kitchen. I am annoyed at myself for ignoring the warnings of someone who had worked with Christian, during one of his many brief spells at various tobago hotels, and experienced his lax/non-existant kitchen hygeine regime.

Ron - you are quite right. After the premises had been restored to operational standard, they were leased to new tenants who are now refurbishing the place in preparation for the opening of a new restaurant in September. I'm not at liberty to provide any further details yet - but I think that it will be an establishment worth watching.

There is little chance of Latitude opening again on Tobago. The authorities may me slow, but they're not stupid. At least I don't think so. :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

I'm shocked at the above reports and have eaten at Latitude 11,can only say that it was very nice indeed and it's a shame that not only did it not operate legally but was also unclean.Will keep an eye out for the new restaurant when i return later this year.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”