Roti

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
SandraK
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Roti

Post by SandraK »

For you seasoned Tobago people this is no news but if you are on your way to this beautiful island for the first time then listen up .The tourist restaurants are quite expensive but you can eat so well at a roti stand. The first time we ate ,we took lunch to Turtle Bay, that was it no dinner required,huge portions of the most delicious food cost around £3.50 for two. We found the ladies at Mt. Pleasant by far the best but if you are in the Crown Point area do use the beachside cafes at Store Point -more expensive but they have overheads so fair enough. Also do watch out for roadside stalls often in the most obscure places,literally a trestle table and a cool box or six ,everything is always very clean and tastes superb. Enjoy -we did !
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Re: Roti

Post by David Watkins »

Sandra,I keep,on,and on bout this.Eat local--more fun,more food and less£££££,and all the money goes into the LOCAL economy!
David(still shivering) :(
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Hi

Where is a good place to go on foot from Turtle Beach - i.e somewhere in Black Rock village. Didn't try this last time and missed out - on our last day a lady was walking along the beach trying to get people to go and try her food but we were leaving - didn't catch her name or where her stall was. If we wander to black rock will we find somewhere nice??

Thanks

Caragh
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Caragh,there are more places to eat in Plymouth than Black Rock.
David
SandraK
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by SandraK »

Hi Caragh
I know the lady you are talking about,she is everywhere you go . Do not be put off her food is very good,on Saturday she is at Turle Beach for lunch ,on Sunday selling popcorn at Buccoo, as she explained she is now semi retired but what a character. Makes the most wonderful fruit juice with your lunch - bring your own rum -we did,she was fascinated by my husbands hip flask and joined in the revelry ending up drinking more than we did - believe me that is an accomplishment. Please do go out as much as possible,I assume you are staying at Turtle Beach, the cab rank is in the car park and as far as I could discover reliable and cheap. We met people at the resort who were loth to use them but all reports back were more than satisfactory - still say hire a car- get out there. Hope that helps
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Thanks Sandra - yes fully intend to go out - car already booked. Went out a lot last year just not on foot so thought would do that too on days we haven't got the car. Will try her food if we see her again.

David - just another daft question but how far is Plymouth on foot. Thinking along the road as not too great at the goat style scramble over the rocks at the end of the bay. Just thought it would be further than Black Rock. Walked to the supermarket in Black Rock last year but wasn't really sure what else was around so headed back. Could have gone further if we had a purpose! Is Plymouth a lot further then or not? I just assumed it was as it seemed to be when we drove but then I was watching the road..

Thanks

Caragh
#-o
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

At the moment, my personal favourite roti on the island (and, sadly, I won't get any kickbacks for mentioning it, more to the pity!!) is Jackie at Mount Irvine. There are several small hut/kiosks, right on the corner of the main car-park, and Jackie has the green one in the middle. Her veggie roti is absolutely gorgeous! She also does great potato pies and always asks if you want hot sauce, which, unless you're VERY adventurous (I'm not!!), use sparingly! ("Slight pepper" is enough for me, even when I AM feeling daring!). I've been caught out a couple of times by other vendors who automatically add hot sauce, though I'm sure it's nothing personal, but I like to be able to taste other things too and not have to wait for my taste-buds to grow back first!! That stuff is HOT!! :oops:

The price for roti and most food on the island is increasing right now, as there's a wheat shortage, which means the price of flour has gone up quite drastically, and also rice has virtually doubled in price, so don't be too surprised if you're a returning visitor and the local food seems more expensive than you remembered. It is, however, still very good, and, certainly compared to US / UK prices, excellent value for money.

Lisa.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Caragh it is not much further at all,and I think it is probably an easier walk also.One used to be able to walk from the jetty end of Courland Bay up to Fort James.
David
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Cheers David

Would you walk round the road to Plymouth then or over the bay and cliffs somehow from the hotel? (turtle beach)

Caragh :?
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Caragh,if you walk to the right of the beach as you face the sea,you will come to the jetty.There was a road/lane up to the Fort James area,it is quicker than the road.
David
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Cool. Thanks David. I thought that you had to climb over the rocks right at the end of the bay, never realised there was a path. Will look harder this time.

Caragh 8)

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”