Rum Punch and such ...

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Michael Jain

Rum Punch and such ...

Post by Michael Jain »

Greetings ... this is my first time to post to your forum (please be gentle). We're a little over a week from heading off to the tropical paradise of Tobago. I've spent the past couple of months mining all sorts of valuable information from this website. Like one other poster stated, as soon as I would form a question, I would uncover the answer in one of the forum posts or in one of the many articles on this site. Kudos to all you fine people and Steve for such an informative site!

This will be our first visit to Tobago .. and we are so ready to attain tropical bliss. And speaking of bliss, this leads to me to my first forum question ... actually this is a two parter, so pay attention! :wink:

1) Similar questions have been posted before ... but how about an updated 2008 version? Where have you experienced your favorite rum punch ... and why was it your favorite (flavor, ambiance of establishment, who you were with (for you romantics), "bang-for-your-buck" (or should that be "bang-for-your-quid"? :wink: ) Feel free to actually have more than one favorite, also feel free to expand your response to any other rum-based libation you experienced on the island.

2) This question pertains to sipping rums. I've been browsing around at the various rums of the region. In addition to the fabulous sipping rums from Trinidad & Tobago (Angostura 1919 and 1824) I’ve read about a good Guyana rum (El Dorado) and Venezuelan rums (Ron Pampero Aniversario and Santa Teresa 1796). I'm sure I'll be able to find the 1919 & 1824, however, do any of you rum connoisseurs recall seeing any of the other "regional" rums in Tobago shops and/or bars?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences!

Cheers! ... Michael
Linda P

Re: Rum Punch and such ...

Post by Linda P »

Hi Michael
I remember drinking an excellent rum punch on a boat trip arranged by Frankies (we left from Buccoo), I can't tell you a lot about the punch other than it had nutmeg floating in it. To be honest it may have tasted so good beacause as you rightly suggested in your question, the ambience was right. There were eight of us on the trip, our party of four and two other couples, we all hit it off immediately and i discovered that i had been to school with one of the other guys! I was drinking the rum punch virtually all day (which is why I think I only remember it tasted good!) All I can say is it is well worth you taking a trip with frankies to see if they still make the punch the same! We did a full day with snorkling, bbq at No Mans Land etc.
As for sipping rums, last year we stayed at Rainbow Resort, conveiently just over the road from Colours bar. I did decide one night, purely for research purposes to try all of their rather large selection of rums, from which I chose two favourites, in second place was Angostura 1919, and I can't for the life of me remeber the first now. I had been planning to buy a bottle from duty free at the airport, but the shop had sold out. That was nearly a year ago and my strictly rationed bottle of 1919 is almost empty, good job I go back soon!
I found a couple of drinks sold out at duty free, so would advise anyone now to buy from the shop across the road from the airport in advance, as I understand you can order your duty free's in advance and have them delivered to you in the departure lounge - is that correct experts?
Linda
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Michael,in reverse order,there are just to many rums to list that you can get on Tobago.If it's made it's available.Most rum shops and local bars will have maybe a dozen or more.Be careful of what you buy as some of it is pretty potent(Forres Rum Puncheon at LEAST 75% abv!!!!!!!!)My favourite is old Oak White .(have a look at money and getting around in the General forum!)
As for rum punches I have yet to suffer a bad one,week ones yes,in hotel an restaurant bars,but in local places never.I normally make my own,about three parts fruit punch to one part White Oak...mmmmm!
David %*} (at the thought)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Michael

Welcome aboard and thanks for your kind words. :D

Linda and David have passed comment on your questions and I bow to their superior knowledge. To be honest, I don't drink any spirits (just never took to the taste). Strange, given the fact that I was brought up on a sugar plantation and rum distillation is a part of the sugar production process.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

maybe that's just why, steve! :wink: know bakers who don't like to eat their own cake... (and not because its bad...).
there are many varieties of rum punch (some with nutmeg, some with raisins, some with flavour peppers) but as david said, get them in local places and don't stop testing... :lol:

enjoy!
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Michael Jain

Post by Michael Jain »

All ... thanks for the responses! Linda ... yes, I guess one of the problems with asking someone about rum punches is they may not be able to recall what they were like! Probably a sign they weren't too bad! :) Frankies sounds fun ... doubt we'll be able to get to that one this time though, we're already booked for Island Girl and we're on Tobago for only one short week. :( Hopefully IG will have a good Rum Punch. Sounds like the bars and shops have an excellent selection ... I'm looking forward to the field portion of my research project! So many rums ... so few days! David ... yes, White Oak ... it wasn't on my list until I saw their ad ... is it really "that smooth"? :wink: And I like your advice Stephanie ... "get them in local places and don't stop testing" ... yes, the sample size must large enough to make the assessment statistically sound ... but wait, raisins and peppers in rum punch????
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Michael,yes it really is that smooth.
You would be surprised how rum is drunk.I know a guy who frequents Tino's in Scarborough and at lunch he would have a drink of Forres Puncheon(that's a large measure)with ice,lime,salt and cayenne pepper,knock it down ,followed by a glass of water then go back to work!!!!!!!!!
David
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Michael,

If you like that first poster try this link: http://www.angostura.com/06_media.htm#N3

My favorite is the Puncheon girl!!! =P~

Hugh
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

raisins give it a special type of sweetnes, while peppers do the same as angostura bitters, they take away some sweetness that some fruit juices here might have... give it a try and don't be afraid :wink:

steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Raisins and peppers sound very interesting, I will have to do some more sampling this year!!
Linda
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Don't like raisins - just personal choice don't like them in anything - yuk. Anything spicy is good so long as its balanced by fruit juice or its too bitter. Must have Angostura bitters and nutmeg for me. Had a great one at Shore Things which is also a lovely setting - makes the drink memorable. They also do ice cold beer - a must really - served in iced glasses.

Have fun sampling

Didn't have one on Island Girl stuck to cocomania and coke - my preferred drink overall but I may now try one in a few weeks time when will be on board with them again.

Caragh %*} %*}
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Caragh,try a guners.White rum,ginger beer and lime(and of course ice).
David

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”