prices of food & drink?

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Marty

prices of food & drink?

Post by Marty »

Hi All,

Myself & my Boyfreind are off to Tobago for our first visit on Thursday (cant wait) :D. I'm a it lost on what kinda money we will need to bring along with us in regards to food & drink and getting by, and also if the banks change Euros or will i have to bring along some Sterling or USD, banks in Ireland dont do TT dollars :x. I would really apprieciate some information on this as it would take a lot of pressure away from me and then i will be able to look forward to getting on the plane and dreaming about the lovely people and paradise beaches.

Hope to hear from someone soon [-o<

Thanks a million
Martina
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: prices of food & drink?

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Martina,

If you want to try local food (which is generally very good), a Roti lunch will cost about 20TT -slightly under two pounds. The price of an evening meal would depend greatly on where you were eating! The Chinese Restaurants are worth trying, and they do set meals which work out at less than GBP5 each for their daily specials. Then again, you can also go to some very good restaurants (ie The Seahorse / La Tartaruga) and pay around GBP30 a head on average, but that's a 3 course meal. Drinks with your meal (alcoholic) range greatly, and you'll pay up to TT$15/20 for a Stag / Carib beer, whereas if you buy them from the shop, or from a local bar, they'll be nearer TT$10. Food prices on the island have increased over the last couple of months but it's still cheaper than the UK by comparison, I believe. I've not been back to the UK for a few years now, but I'm fairly sure it's still cheaper.

You'll be fine with US$ and lots of places take Sterling too, but the best option is to bring a few US$ and use the cash tills when you get here which only dispense local currency anyway.

Enjoy your holiday!
Lisa.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi
The Bank´s does change every common currency, Euro, USD, GBP, DM, so it really doesn´t matter what foreign currency you bring with you. The TTD does follow USD, so even if the US has become cheaper in Europe, in Trinidad & Tobago you still get about the same as before 6TTD = 1USD.

You can also use the ATM´s, you didn´t tell us where you are going to stay. But if you stay in the Crown Point area you have 3 ATM´s there, one at the Airport, one at Royal Bank and one outside Golden Star.

You have Republic Bank at the Airport and Royal Bank next to Coco Reef Hotel. There´s also an Exchange office at the Airport but their rates isn´t as good as the bank rate.

It´s better to pay in local currency instead of using foreign currency, many might take foreign currency but you will loose money compared with the exchange rate at the bank! That´s my opinion, I´ve been to T&T every year since 1989. Credit cards as Visa, Mastercard are also working fine at the restaurants.

Tour operators mostly set the price in USD as they often want foreign currency, but it´s OK to pay in TTD too.

I´m using the ATM´s but I also have some Euro or GBP with me in case of an emergency situation or if the ATM doesn´t work that day.

Have a nice vacation
Ronald
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hi Martina
I totally agree with Ronald regarding currency to take. We have not taken any currency for the past few years, and just visited the cash point as soon as we leave the airport. Having said that, usually we fly on a Thursday and arrive before the banks close - in case the cash point is empty. This year we are flying on a Saturday, so I will take some tt dollars, just in case the machines are empty and not refilled untill the monday morning.
As you can't get tt's I would reccomend taking some US dollars, so at least you have some cash for until you can get to a bank or cash point.

Linda
Marty

Post by Marty »

Hi Lisa, Linda & Ronald,

Many thanks for your replies and all the info, dont know what i would have done without this site its great. Going to bring USD and use the atm's also. Looking forward to going now.

Thanks a million

Martina
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Marty,why take US$,Euros are acceptable......save the exchange charges
David
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

David, do you mean that the shops will accept Euro's or that you can change Euro's for tt's at the banks in Tobago?
Linda
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Last Jan., Feb., and March most places in Charlotteville would not take or change Euros. During that period I probably changed, myself, 3 to 400 Euros. We would go on the internet and check the exchange rate and all the people I changed were so happy to be able to get TT that they just said 8 is good enough. I just kept the Euros until I got down to the bank.

Most places in C'ville will take US $ as payment. The rate will very, some like to use 6 because it is easy but some could be as low as 5.75 or lower if they have a calculator.

I think Sharons and Phebes is the only place besides places to stay that takes credit cards in C'ville. Never assume always ask even if places have the little sign that says we take cards. I would do this all over the island, sometimes the readers are broke or the phones don't work.

When I go now I take Travelers checks, I get them for free from my bank at home. I used to use the ATM's but a few years ago the fees totaled out to over $300 US. I don't like to travel with alot of cash. When you use Travelers checks you actually get a better exchange rate than if you use cash. For the 3 months the exchange rate for cash was usually 6 and for Travelers checks it was 6.17 or better.

The Money Exchange in the building across from the terminal at the airport was giving 6 to both the US $ cash and Traverlers checks, the bank next to it was giving 6.1 but there is usually a long line at the bank. The Money exchange is open longer hours than the bank even on Saturdays. I can't remember for sure but I think the exchange maybe open until 8 in the evening and 10 to 6 on Sat. (could someone please check). I usually change 1000 at a time so I look for the best rate. If I only change 1 or 200 $ and am down by the airport I use the Exchange because it is a quick in and out.

If I come in through Trinidad and need TT I usually use the Exchange in the airport there. Its always been open.

In the past when I have changed at a bank in Tobago I have waited in line sometimes for over an hour. All depends on what day, what bank and the time of day. Most banks close at 2 in the afternoon.

Hope this helps, Phil
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi all
The reason why I didn´t mention travel checks is because we don´t use travelchecks in Sweden. Mostly banks here say "you have a chip on your card, use the ATM´s, we dont´t give out travelschecks any moore" and it´s the same into nearly every country in Europe.
Of course you can have travelchecks if you really want but you will have to pay extra for that! Myself prefer the bank card (ATM) and cash so I don´t have to stand in line to exchange money.
Ronald
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Jo B »

Martina

Even if your banks don't do TT, you will probably find that the airport exchanges do. I don't know about Ireland, but I have always got about £100 of TT at Gatwick to tide us over before flying out, then used ATM's when in Tobago. And we have always stayed in Castara, where the economy is definitely cash-based. We just used the ATM's whenever down south or passing through Roxborough. I definitely wouldn't bother changing currency to US$ then to TT.

Jo x

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”