Bago's Beach Bar

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Linda P

Bago's Beach Bar

Post by Linda P »

For some reason, in our four previous visits to Tobago, when we spent most of our time at Pigeon Point, until this year we had never visited Bago's. Boy did we miss out! I am only pleased that we decided to 'pop in for one' on the way back from the beach early on in our holiday this year.
Bago's is the friendliest bar I have visited in Tobago (and I have been to a few :oops: ). The owners, English Bob and his wife Shirley (think she said she was from Trini but could be wrong) make everyone feel so welcome, the staff are great and from day one address you by name. Steve's report in the restaurant listings says Bago's is an ex-pat hang out, however we found a complete mix of holiday makers, locals and ex-pats - but the best thing was everybody was mixing and chatting together.
To be honest we only ate there once, the fish chowder is amazing, but the other meals we saw served looked and smelt delicious, and very reasonably priced.
Bago's is also possibly one of the best spots to view the sunset from.
Just take a camera with you every time, I found that the best sunsets were on the days that I left it in the apartment! :evil:
The opening hours have changed from Steve's listed ones, they now open Tuesday - Saturday 10.00am - 7.00pm though there is often someone there to serve you a drink from 9.00am if you are desperate, Sundays 10.00am till late ( I think when the last person departs for Sunday School), you can also often get a lift to Sunday School with others from the bar.
Shirley has also started to arrange some open air street fairs - will write a review of this in 'Sightseeing etc forum', they are intermittant at the moment, vaguely coinciding with public holidays, keep an eye out for them publicised in the bar.
In summary, Bago's is a great, friendly, fun, relaxing place and I would highly reccomend it to anyone.

Linda
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Bago's Beach Bar

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Linda

Welcome back and thank's for the update on the opening times at Bago's. I've updated our records.

I didn't mean the comment about being popular with ex-pats in a derogatory way - just the opposite. :lol:
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

And they do draught lager, to the delight of the colleague who accompanied me on my last visit last year %*}

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

all they need now is intravenus rum and I'll be in heaven :D
GillMathews
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by GillMathews »

Hi everyone,
I discovered Bago's Bar aswell this year. They often play really good music there,but not too loud.I had a fabulous meal of King fish with veg,and a steak cooked to perfection on another occasion.I agree with Linda about the sunset views from there and at night The Coco Reef looks pretty with it's lights ablaze from the beach beside Bago's.Definately a place I will revisit.
Gill x :)
CaroleW
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by CaroleW »

I have to agree with what everyone else has said, I've been to Tobago twice now - 3 weeks and 4 weeks. Bago's is like "Home away from Home" Bob & Shirley and their staff Maria & Obe make you feel really welcome - definitely going back!!! =D> :D :D
HelenaVM
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by HelenaVM »

I believe Bago's and House of Pancakes are shut at the moment, under going some renovations in time for the high season... I hope they are both open again in December, as I'll be wanting my fix!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Bob and Shirley from Bago's are on were on vacation last week wheni contacted them, Bago's should not be closed for long.

Linda
J Parkins

Post by J Parkins »

We just got back from Tobago and have to agree that Bago's was by far the best food and best prices. =D> =D>
Susanne Thomsen
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Susanne Thomsen »

We have never been there, but could anyone tell me where it is. We want to visit Bagos but please tell where it is????
Susanne
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It's easy to find, just turn down the road to Pigeon Point, Golden Star is at the corner. Bago's is at the bottom of the road next to the sea, only 2 mins if you are walking.

Linda
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Susanne

Linda has pointed you in the right direction. However, you will find the location of all restaurants and major bars shown on our interactive maps - so check out either the main map page (menu: Tobago > Maps & Regions) or through the Restaurants menu.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Susanne Thomsen
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Susanne Thomsen »

Linda, Steve.
Thank you very much for answer. We will try to find it, 5 weeks to go.

Susanne
Marcus Hartnell

Post by Marcus Hartnell »

Having just returned from our vacation my wife and i did not rate bagos at all food was lousy and service was not much better either best thing was Beer was cold
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

Marcus Hartnell wrote:Having just returned from our vacation my wife and i did not rate bagos at all food was lousy and service was not much better either best thing was Beer was cold
Thats a shame to hear that,i've been to Bago Bar lots of times and know the owners Bob and Shirley and have to say that the standard of food has always been very good when i've eaten there.Maybe they were away or something? Anyway i'll be there again in March so will see whats occurring.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I will be including Bagos in my forthcoming Food Review shortly ... but, sorry Marcus, their food was excellent and good value for us and we went several times during our recent stay.

I know the staff can be a bit funny but they are great when they get to know you ... same for most places to be honest.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Marcus Hartnell

Post by Marcus Hartnell »

Dear Paul

There food is probably very good but on the 2 times we visited it was not.
I know the staff in all places can blow hot and cold this is my 20th Year visiting Tobago I should know what the people are like by now.
But on a good note went to Bagos 3rd February to try again for lunch and the food was excellent so all is now forgotten and hopefully for the next 3 weeks of our vacation we will eat there much more frequently it is ideal for us as we like the little beach to the left.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

That's good to hear Marcus ... I guess any place can have it's off-days.

The location of Bago's is lovely so it would be sad if things started going downhill.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Paul Tallet wrote: The location of Bago's is lovely so it would be sad if things started going downhill.
Regards
Don't worry. I have recently returned to Tobago after 4 months in Trinidad, and i found everything
in place at Bago's.
As for the food, Bago's kitchen space is limited, so you find a good bit of fried food on the
menue. That may not be everybody's favourite. I do like their Roti and sandwiches though.
Prices for drinks are still quite reasonable unlike in some other places in the vincinity.
Robert L
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Robert L »

We actually only had drinks at Bago's but we really enjoyed it. Friendly staff, cold beer, laid back atmosphere and good music. One really doesn't need much more than than, now do one? :D

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”