Taste of Tobago at home

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Linda P

Taste of Tobago at home

Post by Linda P »

I really enjoy the food while I am on holiday in Tobago, we have bought an excellent cookery book, The Multi-Culture Cuisine of Trinidad and Tobago (Naparima Girls' High School Cookbook) - this is a big professional book, not a little pamphlet printed by the PTA!, which I would highly reccomend, we got ours from the book shop in Lowlands Mall.
I always bring back spices sold in packets in Pennysavers and Mrs Dash seasonings, this year I even found room in my case for a big bag of pigeon peas!
I wondered what foodstuffs anyone else brings home (obviously we are limited to dried products in the main), does anyone have favourite recipes thay they would like to share, I know of at least one chef on here, a certain Cool Boy from Bude, but am sure there are lots of foodies amongst us.

Linda
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Re: Taste of Tobago at home

Post by David Watkins »

Linda,I too have that book and have had it for a few years now,I use (or adapt) recipes at work as well as at home.A very popular dish is red baked chicken,also the green fish soup is outstanding.For calaloo,I substitute the dasheen with dark spinach and/or curly kale.
David :D
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

I have this one too! It sits alongside my tried and tested recipe book from the UK, and gets (or it did before I pretty much learned the recipes off by heart!) much use!!

Lisa.
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Linda, Lisa and David,

the only thing I take with me while flying home is a botle of hotsauce and some seasoning.
Fortunately this Wednesday there is a All-you-can-eat Caribbean style in a restaurant around the corner. I will let you know how it did tast.

Though I love calalou you cannot get dasheen over here and spinach is definitely not the same :cry:
Maybe next time I take (smuggle) some plants...

Cheers
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

i know that in hamburg close to the main bus station are many multi cultural shops, where you can buy all kinds of roots like yam and sweet potatoe and different bushes too. some of them are called differently because they are in chinese or turkish shops but they are the same as the ones you can buy here in tobago. like pac choi is called "mangold" in german. see if you find a multi culty corner in your neigbourhood and just buy them by the looks and give it a shot. sure in places like london you will have areas like that, too (i know, david, you wont go there since you are not english but cornish...ha-ha).
you should be aloowed to take a pack of saltfish, too. I always took guava jelly and jam home for my friends and tamarind sauce and mango chutneys in glasses. yummy....
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Steph,
thank you Steph! Hamburg is a bit to far for a little shoping tour but Bonn as the former capitol should offer something like that. We do have a lot of Asian or African shops and I will check them all. I will let you know if I'm able to cook some calalou at home.

How is the baby doing?
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

you will definately get ocro there...
baby is fine but not eating calalou yet (so lets don't go off topic... [-X )

sunny greetings and good appetite :D
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Florian Jeschke
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Florian Jeschke »

Hhmmmmmm..... Seasoning! Hot Pepper Sauce! Honey Roasted Nuts! These are my favourites.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”