Surf 'n' Turf restaurant

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Surf 'n' Turf restaurant

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sharon

The weather has been absolutely incredible in the week that we have been here. Bright blue skies and hot sun every day. Our first six days were in Lowlands and we were kept cool by those glorious Atlantic winds. We moved up to Castara two days ago and you really notice the difference - athough I understand that the last two days have been particularly hot. We had 10 minutes of rain during the day on day last week - but nothing else. The 'rainy' season didn't come last year so there are water shortages and this is already leading to low pressure and cuts in some areas, but nothing that has disturbed our holiday. What a difference to the cold we left in England!

As regards the Surf 'n Turf, frankly nothing stands out as particularly better than anything else. We tried just about everything on the menu. The Callaloo soup was particularly memorable. The signature dish of surf and turf is wonderful if/when they have fresh lobster in. Expensive, but yummie.

Have a great trip.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kevin Pallant
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kevin Pallant »

Hi Steve,

Looks like we need to pay this place a visit when we are over, look forward to the Callaloo soup and few bottles of Stag.

Still cold here with snow showers - but the dogs are fine!!

Cheers.

Kevin.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kev

I'm raising the first bottle to you as I type. :lol:
Steve Wooler
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Steve Wooler wrote:
Yes, it relocated over a year ago. Looking back over the thread, I see no mention of the relocation. Very remiss of me. I shall go and sit on the naughty chair for ten minutes (with a nice cold bottle of Stag).
Ah ha - no wonder we couldn't find it Mr Wooler!
We gave up and defaulted to Cafe Coco instead.

Looks like the location has been taken over yet again and is now occupied by the Anglers' Bar.

Despite the obvious attraction for me to pop in and check it out, Lyn reminded me that we had dinner at this venue in one of it's previous incarnations several years ago and we were eaten alive by mossies.

I'm not sure which was worse - the mossies or the entertainment (Caribbean style Elvis tribute).

Come to think of it, they both sucked :lol: .

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Steve

It was really nice to bump into you and Lynn on the flight out and have a bit of a chance to catch up and sorry that we haven't seen you since. Glad you had a good time at the Pink House though - we are due there ourselves next month.

Sorry about the location change. I shall just have to go and sit on that naughty chair again, with another bottle of Stag. Given the heat at the moment, I suspect it will be considerably more of a pleasure than a punishment however.

Your description of the old incarnation of the premises makes me wonder whether it was Pepe's. The Elvis impersonator sounds like Baker - the hideously naff and cringe-making guy who ran the weekly 'talent' show at the Golden Star.
Steve Wooler
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Steve

Well a week was never going to be enough time to do all the things we wanted to, in between chilling out up at the Pink House. You have a treat in store for you.

You're right - it probably was Pepe's place several years ago.

Hopefully, the mossies have followed Baker to wherever he is performing and I can have a swift one or two at the Angler's Bar next time we visit.

Back to the Surf and Turf - we passed Bamboo Walk on our final trip back to the airport after our customary last day lunch at Shore Things. Giselle was asking after you so you had better put in appearance soon!!!

Patrick's place looks very inviting, so we'll check it out next visit too.

Cheers
Steve

BTW - have you seen the old Inn on the Bay site (or should that be sight?)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

No, we haven't been to Shore Things yet but it is one of those 'standard' places we never miss. So, equally, I haven't been past the Indigo (ex Inn On The Bay) development yet. To be honest, the work involved in the reviews is so intense that we had been on the island 6 days before we even saw the sea (after leaving Bamboo Walk - our first sight being from the road to Castara). Now we have it lapping the shoreline, 7m below our balcony.
Steve Wooler
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Steve Wooler wrote: Now we have it lapping the shoreline, 7m below our balcony.
Strange how quickly you can go off some people :evil:

Looks like work has ground to a halt at Indigo (any association to Indigo ex Pleasant Prospect?)
You wait 'till you see what they've been doing over at Buccoo !!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hee, hee! :P

No connection with Erica and 'Irish' of Indigo and now the Fish Pot. The proper name for the old Inn On The Bay project is Indigo Bay I believe. Yes, I understand work has ground to a halt - much to the disgust of all the villa owners on the compound who have been unable to rent their villas out while it has all be a building plot.
Steve Wooler
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

I shall just have to go and sit on that naughty chair again, with another bottle of Stag. Given the heat at the moment, I suspect it will be considerably more of a pleasure than a punishment however.

I've never understood this enthusiasm for Stag (or Carib) unless it enhances the punishment of sitting in the naughty chair!!!

Why not go along with what they are good at, Rum!

Definitely avoid what they are not good at, wine, which tastes like a by product of Ronseal manufacture!

we're just back home after three weeks of almost unbroken sunshine, a quick trip down to Trinidad and then "jumpin' up in de Carnival" back in Scarbro'.

Frank
Patrick Dankou
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Patrick Dankou »

Hello Frank and Mina,
I am sorry you did not enjoy the wine, could you kindly let me know which one did not agree with your palate? We have more than 30 different wines available by the bottle from different suppliers including Gabrielle from Tartaruga and I would like to be able to identify the culprit. You can never guarantee the quality of wine here in T&T until you open a bottle, next time please let us know immediately if anything is wrong with your wine.
P.S.: I enjoyed the last bottle of a 1995 Chateau Mouton Rothschild ( priceless %*} ) that I inherited from Stefano Monti of La Cantina last night, good luck it was ok, even though the cork started to crumble when I opened it.
Patrick Dankou
Yes Tourism - http://www.Yes-Tourism.com
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

Hello Patrick,

No need to worry about the provenance! The wine we bought was "Supermarket Plonk". It did say on the label that it was made from alcohol and grape juice but I guess the alcohol came from cane rather than grapes! We didn't read the small print before purchase.

Our mistake was making the assumption that because European supermarket plonk can usually be perfectly drinkable, so would Tand T supermarket plonk. . The "wine" went into the cooking over a few days.

Luckily, as we self cater and with access to beautiful fresh fish and plenty of tropical fruit (soaked in rum)and vegetables, we have no need to frequent restaurants in Tobago so in over ten years we have never paid over the odds only to be disappointed (except for that bottle of "wine").

Enjoyed some excellent "wines" along the road during Carnival, though !!!

Frank
Sharon Keeler
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Sharon Keeler »

Visited Surf 'n' Turf during our recent visit to Tobago. Overall impression, VERY expensive, average food. If money is no object for you continue reading. A party of four we arrived on a Saturday night and were the only ones there (two other couples entered later). We were welcomed kindly and the service was excellent. No callaloo soup, which I was so looking forward to. We ordered two house salads and two specialty salads. All good. Until the main meals came. My partner and I split shrimp and steak, my mom ordered lobster (half a tail) and steak, and my stepdad ordered shrimp and steak. All steak ordered medium rare, all arrived medium to medium well. We sent them back and they still came back overcooked. Tasty, but small portions (three small shrimp). The only thing I'd consider excellent and reflective of the price was the lobster. Total bill around $1500 TTs (and that included 6 Caribs and 2 Johnny Walkers). My main complaint is that the food, in both quantity and preparation, did not match the price. For this price point I expect excellent service and fantastic food cooked the way it is ordered.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”