Surf 'n' Turf restaurant

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Berrebi

Surf 'n' Turf restaurant

Post by Berrebi »

This a new and amazing restaurant in Tobago. The food is excellent, fresh, with a touch of italian accent and a large choice of good wines. And the atmosphere is very pleasant....
We had a wonderful dinner there and we highly recommend this place. The best in Tobago!
dominique and Pierre
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: Surf 'n' Turf restaurant

Post by Andy D »

Sounds good,where abouts is it?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Andy

Surf N' Turf in on the left in Pigeon Point Road, on the junction with the first turning left (that leads down to Cafe Coco. See our map in the Restaurants listing or our main interactive map (menu: Tobago > Maps).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Gabriele
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Gabriele »

we had dinner with the whole family, the restaurant is nicely located upstair, very airy and cool.
Service was very attentive and lots of smiles! Menu' simple and easy to read. Credit cards accepted.
we recognized several diners who lives in Tobago, sign that Surf and turf will be a great alternative
for our future dinners. Cuisine is Asian/Caribbean fusion, my wife loved the fish and the very good touch in preparing the sauce! Prosecco wine was a good suggestion to pair the entrees.
Buon Appetito! Gabriele
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thank Gabriele

Praise indeed, coming from one of the island's leading restaurateurs.
Steve Wooler
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

Hi Steve, Thanks for that,i know where it is now,will try it out soon.
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

I will add my own endorsement of Surf & Turf Restaurant. I didn't even know it existed since I don't pass that way much, but based on the comments from Dominique & Pierre and Gabriele, my wife, son and I decided to try them - we were not disappointed.

The food and service was excellent. Dinner for the three of us which included appetizers, entrees and dessert (no wine - we had 2 bottles of sparkling water) came up to $940 TTD, no VAT, before service charge - approximately 84 pounds or 104 Euro. Not inexpensive, but our party felt that the meal at Surf & Turf ranked among our best in Tobago. Our main complaint was that the dessert selection was very limited - we only had a choice of NY Cheesecake or Haagen Dazs ice cream. Interestingly, the wait staff and chefs were all Filipino!

We definitely plan to return to explore other items on their menu.

Clyde
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Clyde

Nice report. Its good to know that visitors have somewhere else worth dining. I had great hopes for Surf N' Turf and so its really pleasing to hear that that trust was not misplaced.

Just one correction, if I may. I understand that the chef is called Sasha and that she's as Tobagonian as they come.
Steve Wooler
Deb O

Post by Deb O »

We visited Surf 'n' Turf twice during our recent visit to Tobago (9 - 23 October). We loved this place which is why we went back for our last night. The food and service was excellent although a tad pricey - but in our opinion completely worth every TT!! Food was very tasty and beautifully presented and they even accommodated my mother's request for a plain steak with chips. Her steak was beautifully cooked and the chips perfectly seasoned! All our other meals were perfect too - we had a selection of steak and fish plus starters and not one complaint amongst us. I really hope this restaurant continues to be successful as in our opinion it was by far the best food we tasted.
Jane Stone

Post by Jane Stone »

Just to say that we ate at this Restaurant in early January having heard of it through local friends. Very, very surprised at not only how good the food was, but also how excellent the staff were. Very unusual for Tobago in regard to service (no offence, as we love the island, have a place there and visit about 3 times a year), it was almost silver service (wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that the waiting staff were Filipino?)! My only complaint was that none of us could finish the food which was delicious!
Stephen Porter

Post by Stephen Porter »

We went to this restaurant over Christmas/New Year and were thoroughly disappointed. Food was awful service OK.
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

We had a nice night out at Surf&Turf this week. We were very pleased with the service and quality so we cannot do anything but to recommend this place for a cosy evening get-together.

Robert&Agi&Greg
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Robert

I totally endorse that. In fact within five minutes of submitting this response I will be sitting down in the Surf 'N Turf and enjoying my first Stag of the evening. We've eaten there for the last three nights and been delightd with every meal. :)
Steve Wooler
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Steve,

Have a wonderful evening!!! We wish we were still there!! Don't forget to go for that lovely, creamy callaloo soup!!!

Regards

Robert&Agi
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Robert

Following your suggestion, we tried the Callaloo soup last night. Guess what we’ll be having again tonight!

I must admit that callaloo, in any guise, is not normally to our taste. It can be great, but all too often we consider it just a slimy, tasteless goo. However, we once had a callaloo soup at the Cuffie River Nature Retreat which possibly ranked as the best soup of any type that we have ever enjoyed and we have constantly be searching for a repeat – but seldom finding anything that even started to compete . This Surf ‘N Turf was the nearest yet.

I have to say that after four days of dining at the restaurant (breakfast, lunch and dinner), we are both knocked out by this small restaurant. I think there is no doubt that it now ranks among the two or three best restaurants on the island – and certainly number one in terms of friendly, efficient service. It is so sad that the only way they’ve managed to achieve this is by employing Filipinos. The only thing that has surprised me is how quiet the restaurant is, at lunchtime in particular. I know it is a bit out of the way and will only be accessible to those with a car (or prepared to take a taxi), but that applies to every other decent restaurant, pretty much.
It certainly seems to be one of the best kept dining secrets on the island.
Steve Wooler
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Steve,

We're glad that you both tried and liked the soup. Just to add to your perception we also were very surprised at how quiet the place was. We spent the whole night there and besides us only a couple of people popped in for a dinner and some drinks.

Definitely agree that the friendly atmosphere and efficiency could be down to the Philippino employees.

Wondering if you've ever tried El Pescador in Bucco?

Robert
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Robert

No - it's on our list though. El Pescador wasn't open on our last trip, two years ago. We will hopefully be able to get to it by the end of the month or sometime next month. We're just arrived in Castara, so are sure to be craving a decent meal when we get back down to south. :lol:
Steve Wooler
Sharon Keeler
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Sharon Keeler »

Steve, has this restaurant moved from Pigeon Point? Where is it located now?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sharon

Yes, it relocated over a year ago. Looking back over the thread, I see no mention of the relocation. Very remiss of me. I shall go and sit on the naughty chair for ten minutes (with a nice cold bottle of Stag).

The Surf 'N Turf Restaurant is located at the Bamboo Walk Hotel on the Old Milford Road in Hampden/Lowlands, together with the offices of Yes Tourism (they are all owned by Patrick Dankou, who consolidated all operations to the same compound for better management control).

In case you don't know it, it is actually VERY easy to find. From Crown Point head towards Scarborough. Take the first turning RIGHT after passing the entrance to the Tobago Plantations (Hilton) golf course, etc. This turning is very shortly before the traffic lights at the new Gulf City Mall. Anyway, having turned right onto the Old Milford Road, proceed down this road for about half a mile. The Bamboo Walk Hotel is on the left (there are no building anywhere on the right down this road) and can be recognised by a brightly painted mural on the wall separating the buildings from the road. There is also a sign on the opposite (right) side of the walk. If you get as far as the rear entrance into the Tobago Plantations golf course, then you have gone a few hundred metres too far, so turn back. Continuing down this road would take you to the Atlantic coastline and to Scarborough via Lambeau.

From Scarborough, turn LEFT 200m before the traffic lights at the Gulf City Mall. Proceed to the end of that road, then turn LEFT onto the Old Milford Road. The entrance to the Bamboo Walk Hotel/Surf 'N Turf Restaurant is just 30m on the left.

As you can see, it is a little off the beaten track but actually very centrally located so ideal for anybody with transport staying in the south-west of the island.
Steve Wooler
Sharon Keeler
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Sharon Keeler »

Steve, thanks for the directions. I see you are in Tobago right now, having a good time I'm sure. How's the weather? We are arriving on Feb. 24. Can't wait! What would you recommend at Surf n Turf? We will definitely check it out.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”