Cafe Coco near Coco Reef?

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
JGCooke

Cafe Coco near Coco Reef?

Post by JGCooke »

Does this establishment exist, is it any good and is it safe late at night for teenagers?
Tanja Mohammed

Re: Cafe Coco near Coco Reef?

Post by Tanja Mohammed »

Hi there,
yes, this establishment exists. It is managed by Coco Reef Hotel but is not directly on their hotel compound. If you leave Coco Reef Hotel take a left and easiest is to walk through the compound where RBTT Bank and the Clothes Wash Cafe are located, exit this compound by the drive through ABM machine and turn right. After a few yards you will see Cafe Coco to your left hand side. I would consider this area safe for teenagers at night.
This restaurant just recently opened, the prices are quite reasonable and the cuisine is international with a local touch.
Regards
Tanja - Yes Tourism
jgcooke wrote:Does this establishment exist, is it any good and is it safe late at night for teenagers?
Paul T

Café Coco

Post by Paul T »

:D

We went there several time, superb food, and cocktail for just 25TT$ (4 US$) !
Syndy

Post by Syndy »

I visited Cafe Coco in June 2004, and they were only opened a month then. I loved the decor (reminds me of Coco Reef), the ambience and food was fabulous. Prices were very reasonable prices and some entrees like the "Big Momma's Bermudian Fried Chicken " ($62.50 TT) can be shared by two unless you can eat half a chicken all on your own :lol: . I especially enjoyed the cocktails which at $25.00 TT was steal and the side dishes (loved the parmesan mash). I so enjoyed the resturant that I am taking my fiance there for a surprise birthday next month.
M Doolan

Coco Bay Restaurant

Post by M Doolan »

The setting here was fantastic. We went here on the last night of our holiday. The waiting staff were very polite and gave excellent service - AND they were pleasing to the eye - as my partner Gary would say! The menu is somewhat limited and has an international theme but the food was lovely and very reasonable. The cocktails were also good.
Katie

Post by Katie »

tje setting of cafe coco is great (it has a pond),the staff are frienly enough and the menu is amusing
James Blackshaw
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Coco Reef Cafe

Post by James Blackshaw »

Went both afternoon and early evening. Spacious colourful surroundings.

Excellent cocktails. Particularly good Bloody Mary (one of those days)

Food fine for all comers old and young. Light bites and more substantial.

Would have thought it perfect for teenagers as it is well managed, clean and certainly no dive. Should be perfectly safe.

Opens 3pm

regards
James
Deb

Coco Cafe

Post by Deb »

We went last month, but only had the time to go once. Would definitely have gone back again. The starter, callalloo soup with crab dumplings and coconut cream on top was superb. I would have gone back just for that alone! A friend had the blackened fish but found there was not enough sauce and therefore quite dry but the rest of our party enjoyed their meals very much. I would recommend a visit.

May have to find the callalloo soup recipe to TRY and make it - the thought of it is making my mouth water!

Deb
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Here we are

Here are a couple of recipes that you could try also.

Callaloo & Crab Soup

4 oz salt pork
1lb callaloo (dasheen) leaves or spinach.
1 small onion chopped
1/2 tsp thyme
6 oz, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped fresh breadfruit
1/12 chicken stock
8 oz crabmeat, flaked
8 crab claws
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 small green sweet pepper, sliced

Cut the pork into small pieces. Chop the greens roughly.

Put in a saucepan or cooking pot, together with the onions, thyme and chicken stock, Cook for about 20 minutes until the meat is tender. Add the flaked crab and claws and cook for a further 15 minutes until tender. Stir in the butter and season to taste. Garnish with the green pepper slices.

This popular traditional soup has a beautiful green colour. The soup can be put into a blender and processed until smooth. Some cream can be added for a lighter smoother texture. Chicken can also be used instead of crabmeat

Traditional Callalou Soup with Crab

2 lbs young Dasheen leaves (Callalou), or Spinach
1 doz. okra
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 ham bone or pickled pig tail
6 cups water
2 small crabs
1 large onion, chopped

Method:

Boil ham bone covered with water for about 1/2 an hour, or if pig tail is used, cook it until it is soft. In the meantime, chop dasheen leaves (spinach), okra and onion, and set aside. If you are using dasheen leaves, remove skin from the stalks before chopping.

Prepare crabs (live), clean and wash thoroughly, discarding backs. Break crabs into fairly large pieces. In a separate skillet, melt butter, add thyme onions and garlic, and saute for a minute. Add crabs and saute for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

When ham bone or pigtail is ready, add enough water to make 6 cups. Add dasheen leaves or spinach and okra, and cook over medium heat until tender. Swivel mixture or pulverize so that a smooth, thick liquid results. Combine liquid mixture and crabs, and simmer slowly for 20 minutes. Add pepper and salt as required. Serve hot. Drizzle a small dollop of cream into the centre of each bowl before serving.
Note: Dumplings and tania may be added at the simmering stage. It is not always necessary to use crabs but it does add a lot more flavour to the soup.
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Or Plain
CALALOO SOUP

1 pound calaloo leaves (can be found canned,
or substitute Swiss chard or Bok Choy)
6 cups chicken stock
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2-3 green onions, chopped
1/4 tsp. thyme
4 oz. lean salt pork, cut in small cubes
(you can substitute ham)
1/2 lb fresh, canned or frozen crab meat
1/2 cup coconut milk (canned is okay)
1/2 lb young okra (or 10 oz. frozen) sliced
Salt and Pepper
Pickapeppa sauce or Tabasco or similar sauce.

Wash greens and chop coarsely. Put in heavy saucepan with chicken stock,
onion, garlic, green onions, thyme and salt pork. Cover and cook at a
simmer until the pork is tender. Add crab meat, coconut milk, and okra
and cook until okra is done, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt,
pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Cafe Coco is Fantastic. If you are staying anywhere in the Crown Point area pay it a visit. The setting is beautiful with little streams and waterfalls as you enter the restaurant. the staff are excellent and really friendly. The food is top notch, try the Calalloo Soup!! Their Cocktail menu is one of the largest and most reasonable we saw on the island, and a bottle of Tattinger Champagne will only set you back £30!!

An excellent and highly recommended spot.
Katie

Post by Katie »

it is great but the best place for cocktails is kariwak :D
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Sorry Katie I should have phrased it differently, It is the best Cocktail menu for people who don't really like Vodka(me) and people who for medical reasons can't drink vodka (the missus). Kariwak was fantastic too, but we enjoyed Cafe Coco more.
Everyone is different I suppose :wink:
Steve Roughley

Post by Steve Roughley »

We never visited kariwak but heard good things about it, but Cafe Coco was very good, good food, good service and good atmosphere, definately one to recommend.
Steve & Hilary
Rachel Harries

Two different experiences...

Post by Rachel Harries »

The first time we went to Cafe Coco we had gorgeous food and it was simply divine. The second time the food was nowhere near as good as our first visit, but it was still good. (Great for kids, too).

It's a lovely restaurant - really romantic, great surroundings and the loos are fab (did I just say that out loud?!)

Ask for a doggie bag to take what you can't manage home. The portions are B-I-G!

Rachel
Andreas A.

Post by Andreas A. »

I agree with the people above, their callaloosoup was brilliant

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”