where to eat on first trip to castara?

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Alison Warwick

where to eat on first trip to castara?

Post by Alison Warwick »

Me and my partner are going to tobago for the 1st time in feb. We are staying in castara, i am concened as all the reviews of cafes/bars/restaurants that i have found havent been that good. i would be grateful for some recommendations .
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: where to eat on first trip to castara?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Alison

Welcome aboard! :D

I know my views won't be popular with a lot of regulars, but I'm afraid Castara is NOT somewhere to visit if food and/or catering are top of your holiday prerequisites. See our Restaurant listings for our own views - but don't forget that the village is so small and there are so few places to eat that its worth trying them all and making up your own mind. :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Alison,

We stayed in Castara almost two years ago so some of what I have to say may be out of date. What has to be considered is that since the places are small and have a limited number of customers there is little selection. In most cases you have a choice of 3 or 4 entrees (fish, chicken or pork prepared however they have been done that day) that come with the side dishes of the day (heavy on baked macaroni, local vegetables, and beans and rice). If you enjoy fish that will be your best bet as it can't get much fresher. As you lay on the beach you'll watch the fisherman hauling in the catch that will go into that evenings dinner.

There are small shops to purchase fresh fruit and of course the community oven where the local ladies do a variety of delicious baked goods a couple of times a week.

If you keep an open and adventurous mind, ask the locals for suggestions, and explore the options you'll do okay.

Bill 8)

P.S. Remember you'll be on island time so even though a lot of the food will have been pre-prepared it still may take a while to be served. Just lean back, have another rum punch and lime out.
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Glen O
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Glen O »

Hi Allison
My wife and I and another couple will be in Castara from Feb. 6th to 21st. We're staying at AliBaba's. We will most likely bump into you over that period. Hope you don't mind my asking where you will be staying. Looking forward to the trip, relaxing in Castara and touring the island.

Glen
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Dear Allison
Maybe I am biased ( we built a house there) but this is a small fishing village not a tourist resort. People of a like mind choose to go there, relax and enjoy the village for what it is. There are finer restaurants on island I am sure but enjoy what is there with good grace and remember where you are, and of course the fact that you don't have to drive home afterwards............
The fish bought from the fisherman's co-op straight from the sea and 'organised' for you how you want is excellent. Better still go out with Duck, Loady, King David, Alibaba or any of the other guys and catch it yourself, then it tastes even better!
Some of the local ladies are trying to come to terms with what visitors expect and cater in their own way for the tastes of people coming to stay. Just up from 'Dangerous Corner' you can get pizza, chicken and good fresh baked bread. Andrew's wife bakes great bread and the BBQ there on a Friday night is food, dance and above all FUN! The Boathouse when open can provide just the memories you expected to take away with you, along with the hangover maybe, from too much punch and we enjoy Sharon's style of cooking , Vera's roti, Marguerites fish and chips, home made ice cream in front of Miss Merlines with chicken's foot souse for the adventurous.
Go and enjoy, participate, don't watch the fishermen pulling in the seine nets, don't stand there and photograph them. Get in there and help, do something that has not changed in a thousand years, better than a workout. Take the experience home with you and remember it.

As Bill said in the earlier posting. " Keep an open and adventurous mind".

We will be there from the 31st of December if anyone visiting wants to chat some more over a beer.
I'm homesick, does it show?
Chris Runciman

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”