Harlequin Restaurant move and expansion

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Harlequin Restaurant move and expansion

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi All

One of the regrets of our 2008 visit to Tobago was the fact that we didn't get the chance to dine at the new Harlequin restaurant in Pleasant Prospect. Unforgivable really, given that we stayed at Hibiscus Height just a few yards away. We constantly admired the obvious ambience of the place, but they were always full by the time we were ready to dine and it simply didn't happen. Very irking as all reports have been really excellent.

Anyway, I am informed that with effect from 1st December 2008 Harlequin are relocating to the Tobago Island Suites complex right on Buccoo Junction, where they are taking over the in-house restaurant concession. Best of all, they will be open ALL day - serving full English breakfasts, lunch, afternoon teas and a full diner service. The restaurant is fully licenced and bar meals and a take-away service are also available.

At the moment, the restaurant are unable to accept credit cards - but watch this space for an update.

Give Harlequin a try - everything I've heard have persuaded me that we shall be paying them an early visit on our next trip.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Harlequin Restaurant move and expansion

Post by Lisa Keith »

Thanks for that Steve - we look forward to seeing you!

Just a quick addendum to Steve's note... Harlequin is closed on Mondays. We're also actively looking for a Chef to cover Breakfasts, so whilst we're hoping to supply breakfast in the immediate future, until we can find someone suitable, we're only opening from Lunch onwards. Aside from some very minor glitches, however, things are going well so far! It's pretty quiet, but the same can be said of the entire island right now.

And on that note, I'm off back to Harlequin! No peace for the wicked!

Lisa.
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Lisa,

All this time that we've been posting I knew you were a business owner but had no idea what it was. You've always been so friendly and helpful to so many people with questions and needing assistance I hope that "what goes around comes around" and that you will be successful in your new endeavour. I will definitely be paying you a visit in 2010 when we next vacation in Tobago.

Best of Luck.

Bill 8)
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Awww... thanks Bill!! :oops: (blushing!!)

This is actually a completely new venture for me. My 'regular' job is administration / running a dive centre, so this is a bit of a leap of faith for me. Fortunately, however my business partner, Tracey (who owned the original Harlequin at Pleasant Prospect) is pretty amazing, so I'm really just cashing in on her success!

I look forward to meeting you in the flesh!

Lisa.
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Lisa,

so you are doing two jobs now?? The diving thing and the restaurant? I hope you will still have the time to post here and help us out, how Bill already wrote. Your suggestions and advises are always very helpful! I will come and check the Harlequin in March for sure.

Cheers
Gisela (98 days to go)
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi everyone,

Firstly, Happy New Year to you all!

Secondly, due to several issues, we closed Harlequin tonight. There were a couple of factors that eventually forced us to make the decision, and we didn't take it lightly. The main reason is that the island is absolutely empty at the moment. In all honesty, if we can't turn a profit between Christmas and the New Year, then there's not much hope for the rest of the year! Who knows, maybe in a year or two when things settle down, we'll try again!

Sorry to those of you who had tried to make bookings over the last few days! In the meantime, I have plenty of food and drink at my house to celebrate the New Year with, fortunately!! %*}

C'est la vie! ;)

Lisa.
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hello Lisa,

I'm really sorry to hear that you have to close the Harlequin! I hope it is not a desaster for your friend and you can cope with your diving centre?
All the best for you and of course all mytobago readers and writers for 2009
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

really feel for you Lisa - had some issues of my own in the uk so attention been elsewhere but in all honesty tobago is skin of the teeth survival currently.

heres hoping that what goes around...

paul
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Lisa,

Sorry to hear that this venture did not work out for you. Hope that things will improve in the New Year for all of us.

Bill 8)
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Thanks one and all for the good wishes. Hopefully I will get to meet many of you at some point in the future - it just won't be over dinner now!! ;)

Take care, and may 2009 bring us all good things.

Lisa.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

sorry lisa. I guess it will be "allowed advertisement" when you let everybody know when you tried the second version at some point in the future, isn't is steve?! :wink:
all the best from one end of the island to the other
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Steph

Most certainly. There is invariably an obvious difference between advertising/promotion and 'announcements'. Apart from this, Lisa has always been particularly conscious of the rules governing usage of the forum by Tobago business people and she always contacts me to discuss any issues that might be contentious before posting. That's what makes the closing of Harlequin all the more sad, to be honest. Anyway, hopefully things will improve and they can have a second shot at it.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

How about 'one-off' occasions?

I am up for it ... I will be there between 7 - 21 January. I would pay TT$100 per person to go to any function and if it brings good business and good people together I am all for it.

Any takers?

You up for it Lisa?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hiya Paul,

I'd be happy to... if it weren't for the fact that someone else is now operating from the restaurant! All joking aside, I genuinely wish him the best of luck and bear no grudges or hard feelings - life's too short!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you though, and if I see you (assuming that you still look like your avatar!), I'll introduce myself. I do that occasionally - as Steph can confirm!!

Thanks for the thought though - it'd have been a nice idea otherwise! Coincidentally, I also met our very own Mr Watkins a week or so ago. He was liming with my next-door neighbours, somehow my name got mentioned and I was able to meet up with him. I've still no idea how my name came into the conversation, as my neighbours only know me by my married name. Either I've become infamous, or the island is short on Lisas!! (Quite refreshing, as I was one of four in my class at school!!).

I'll be looking out for you!! ( :shock: )

Lisa.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

why don't you start a "harlequin-we-come-to-your-villa- and-cook-venture"... cooking on demand. no rent for a place, shove it all in a vehicle including table cloth and dcoration, waiter and all and offer people "a-night-out-at-home-experience" so to speak :wink:
just a thought
steph

PS: keep introducing yourelf, it is nice to meet the people behind the businesses :wink:
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

That's not a bad idea! Right now, however, I'm enjoying getting back to (ab!)normal and am thinking about doing lots of other things that I'd been putting off!

Definitely an idea to keep on the back-burner though - thanks Steph!!

L.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”