Pepe's restaurant crown point

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Kevin Ancell

Pepe's restaurant crown point

Post by Kevin Ancell »

Hi to one and all, I was wondering if any of you people out there who have been lucky enough to go to Tobago have ever heard of a restaurant called Pepe's located underneath the Taj Mahal in crown point area.

I wanted to know if you have, what you have thought about it as last time i was in Tobago this place represented the best value for money for restaurant food i found anywhere on the island and the service and ambiance were just great..I had a lobster thermidor meal that came with soup first and then a lovely coconut ice-cream to finish for just TT120..The food was yummy and i still think about it to this day.

Is this place still there? I haven't heard anything on this forum about it and wondered if maybe it has changed hands and name or has jsut closed down. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that has anyone been to Panache also in corwn pont and give me a rough idea of what is on the menu and prices..I have heard good things about this place and just wanted a bit more inside info before i go..

Thanks to anyone who can help...Kevin
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kevin

I imagine you are referring to the restaurant opposite the Yes Tourism office, on the left side, just up Pigeon Point Road? I can’t remember the names, but I do recall that there was a two-storey Colonial-style building with a very good Indian restaurant upstairs and a regular restaurant downstairs – or was it the other way around? I believe it’s been closed for a couple of years, but no doubt someone can confirm. As far as I know, there are NO Indian restaurants (as we would call them in the UK) on Tobago – but again, hopefully somebody can confirm this.

As regards Panache, that is immediately across the road from the restaurant you’re talking about – again, right next door to Yes Tourism and immediately in front of Red Door Beauty & Health Studio (used to be the Kalina Cats office). Panache took over the premises previously open as Café Callaloo. Anyway, Panache offers very good, reasonably-priced Creole cooking. They tend to work on a fixed price menu, rather than individual courses, but when I was last there in January, I believe main courses were between TT$80-TT$140. Here’s a copy of the menu board outside the restaurant:

Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Tanja Mohammed

Re: Pepe's restaurant crown point

Post by Tanja Mohammed »

Hi Kevin

Pepe's is still there, however the Taj Terrace on the upper floor is no longer there. I believe Pepe's has taken over upstairs as well, there is a big painting on the wall "Pepe's International Cuisine". I have seen some construction going on there over the past few weeks on the outside mainly. Cannot help with menu or prices at the moment as nothing is on display outside but I will pass and see if I can get some more information for you.
Just opposite the Pepe's is Tobago's newest restaurant the Cafe Coco, owned and managed by Coco Reef Hotel, haven't tried it yet but their menu looks interesting (international with local touch I would call it) and the prices are reasonable.
Panache offers a four course menu (soup, salad, main course, desert) from TTD 80 up to 160 (depending on what you choose as main course, chicken is the cheapest dinner, and obviously lobster the most expensive), I personally have been there a couple of times for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed the food and the warm and welcoming atmosphere.
And Steve - there is one East Indian restaurant around: Mumtaz Restaurant (located in Crown Point, enter the small side road between Arhur's by the Sea and Pelican Reef, it's behind Arthur's on the left), however I have heard very mixed reports about the food.

Have fun
Tanja - Yes Tourism

Kevin Ancell wrote:Hi to one and all, I was wondering if any of you people out there who have been lucky enough to go to Tobago have ever heard of a restaurant called Pepe's located underneath the Taj Mahal in crown point area.

I wanted to know if you have, what you have thought about it as last time i was in Tobago this place represented the best value for money for restaurant food i found anywhere on the island and the service and ambiance were just great..I had a lobster thermidor meal that came with soup first and then a lovely coconut ice-cream to finish for just TT120..The food was yummy and i still think about it to this day.

Is this place still there? I haven't heard anything on this forum about it and wondered if maybe it has changed hands and name or has jsut closed down. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that has anyone been to Panache also in corwn pont and give me a rough idea of what is on the menu and prices..I have heard good things about this place and just wanted a bit more inside info before i go..

Kevin Ancell

Post by Kevin Ancell »

Hi Steve, once again you have come up trumps with some answers to my questions. Thanks for the info on Panache, I can't wait to get to Tobago and see it & expeirence it all again.

You may be able to help me on one other matter too Steve. Would you happen to know if there is any decent chinese/Thai food on the island too. I ate at Fortunes last time which was so so. but pretty cheap if i rememebr correctly. I have heard of a restaurant called Man Friday (Thai food) at Sandy Point.

I think it belongs to either Sandy Point village or club. My wife is mad about oriental food and simply couldn't bear the thought of none for two weeks!! SO withthis in mind i am tring my best to make she gets her fix..Can you help me?

Once again thanks for all your answers and help people!!

Kevin.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kevin

Let's thank Tanja - she's the one who has come up trumps.

Hopefully Tanja can also answer your question about Man Friday. I don't know it, but have heard the name. It's not listed in my Restaurant guide and I don't know if I deleted it because it had closed. I'll be glad when I get all this info database-driven so that I can keep tabs on everything properly. Anyway, maybe Tanja knows but I've also written to John Martyr, the manager of the Sandy Point Beach Club, because he's sure to know as Man Friday is listed as being at Sandy Point.

At the back of my mind I have a vague recollection of someone telling me that it's not/was not a 'proper' Thai restaurant, but that the owner/chef (?) was married to a Thai lady who often did Thai dishes. We'll find out, one way or another.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Tanja Mohammed

Post by Tanja Mohammed »

Kevin and Steve

I have just spoken to Sandy Point Village, they do not have a restaurant with that name. I have then tried the Beach Club (as the receptionist at Village indicated to me that the Beach Club used to have a restaurant called Man Friday but she is not sure if it is still open), unfortunately I only could leave a message there to please call back as no one was available to take the call. I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.
However, I have personally never heard of that restaurant in that area, I know Ru-B-Lou's just before the Village to the left (limited menu but delicious food and very welcoming hosts, I felt like at home when I went there last time). I'll keep you posted.
Regards
Tanja - Yes Tourism
Kevin Ancell wrote:Hi to one and all, I was wondering if any of you people out there who have been lucky enough to go to Tobago have ever heard of a restaurant called Pepe's located underneath the Taj Mahal in crown point area.

Kevin Ancell

Post by Kevin Ancell »

Steve you are absolutely right..Thank you Tanja!! In fact both of you have extensive handy knowledge about all aspects of Tobago and i am very grateful that you guys take the trouble to help all of us out..Where we we be without you!! Lost is the answer..Since joining this forum i have found out a wealth of info that i simply wouldn't have had the time to find, or couldn't find at all. One last question from me for today if it's ok..

Does anybody know of where i could purchase some fresh fish from arond the Store Bay area? Do they still pull the seine nets from the beach there? If not where could you recommend to buy some from as i am going to be doing a lot of cooking myslef..Any idea of what sort of fish can be expected in early Dec too?

Thanks a million...Kevin.

Anyway
Tanja Mohammed

Post by Tanja Mohammed »

Hi Kevin

it's me again. Thanks for your kind words. Not too sure about Store Bay and the nets but you will get daily fresh fish definitely at Mt. Irvine Beach (the fisherman come in around 4pm), I have seen some fishermen as well just before the Conrado Beach Hotel (at Pigeon Point Road, pass our office and Pepe's going down to Pigeon Point).
As for Chinese and Thai food, I am still hoping that one day Tobago is gonna have a decent Thai restaurant (I also am a lover of this type of cuisine), having lived in Hong Kong for a while before coming to Tobago, I cannot really recommend the Chinese restaurants in Tobago (I have probably been too spoilt with the true thing.....), but Fortune Restaurant is stilll around, and so is Harbor Wok and another one in Scarborough at Breeze Hall Mall, sorry I cannot remember the same at the moment.

And just heard from Sandy Point Beach Club that Man Friday closed down about 3 years ago, they now have a restaurant called Sandy Point Restaurant offering totally local cuisine.

Maybe we should get together while you are in Tobago and cook some Thai or Chinese food.......

All the best
Tanja - Yes Tourism
John Martyr
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by John Martyr »

Hi Steve,

You are right about the Thai dish lady. By the way, how do you get all this info? The Man Friday Restaurant has been closed since 1999, and has been replace with our own Sandy Point Restaurant. It is a small establishment serving only local and caribbean dishes at very attractive prices. 8)
John Martyr
Sandy Point Beach Club
www.sandypointbeachclub.com

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”