Our Restaurant Reviews

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Sue Wright

Our Restaurant Reviews

Post by Sue Wright »

We've just got back from our fourth trip to Tobago, staying back in our favourite Toucan Inn.

We were staggered at how quiet everywhere was compared to previous years, and also how much everything cost! This meant that a lot of our usual haunts missed our custom this year as we simply couldn't afford to go to some of them, and we stayed within walking distance of the hotel. However, it did mean we tried new places and found some nice surprises.

Bonkers Restaurant - ate there twice as we were staying in the hotel. Food good but the menu has been the same for four years now and perhaps could do with a little updating. Specials on every evening which added a bit of variety. The waiting staff are now practically all Fillipino and the service couldn't be faulted. Slightly disappointed with the Valentine Night buffet - it has always been table service previously and a buffet lost a bit of the"special" feeling that a meal in a restaurant ought to bring.

Cafe Iguana - we have used this restaurant every year as it is one of the few open on Sunday evenings, and have always found it to be a good, middle of the road, option. This year the food was still good, but the prices had shot through the roof, they added hefty tax and service charges on the bill and it ended up being our most expensive meal out for the whole holiday! Won't go there again, unfortunately.

Dillons - not impressed two years ago but tried again this year and what an improvement! Excellent meal, friendly staff, good service. Recommended.

Pelican Reef - second big disappointment of the trip. Again, somewhere we have used before and enjoyed, but they've definitely lost something. Friendly staff but very slow service (on a very quiet evening), and the pricing was a bit steep in places. Our meal was nothing special. Neither they nor Dillons/Backyard Cafe are helped by the new Corner Bar next door which is extremely busy, noisy and intrudes, particularly on Friday/Saturday evenings.

WYSIWYG - nice meal (good local style food), friendly staff, average price. They seem to have abandoned the buffet type of service at present, probably because there are so few people about. Worth a try.

Cafe Coco - as usual good value but I do wish they would turn the fans down in there! It makes for a chilly evening if you are wearing a strappy top and a wrap is advised. Very quiet again - in fact they had closed off one of the sections and this was on a Saturday night!

La Cantina - hadn't tried it before but glad we did this time. Excellent all round. Good pizza, friendly service, nice people. Tremendous value. Definitely recommended.

Syps - our find of the trip. Lovely people, fantastic food, very cheaply priced. Ate there three times. The service is slow but that is because they cook to order. They will accommodate a big party with advance notice and will do a different menu if you want (again with advance notice). Worth seeking out (just outside the Tropikist Hotel) - they don't advertise much so you might miss it. Recommended.

We also discovered the delights ofthe view from the Crown Point Beach Hotel terrace and it became our regular stopping off spot for a cold Carib on the way back to the Toucan (yes, I know it is a bit of a detour but the view was worth the extra walk!). We went there on our last evening after we had checked our bags in and while we were waiting for our flight, and not only were we rewarded with a stunning sunset we were also given a free Rum Punch and watched the sun go down to the sound of their regular pan entertainment. Perfect way to finish the holiday.
Ben W

Re: Our Restaurant Reviews

Post by Ben W »

Don't have the time for a full review unfortunately but I'll back up Sue's points re- Dillons and Syps, we enjoyed nice meals at both establishments.

Unfortunately WYSIWYG was closed when we had a look, not sure if it was a permanent thing, or just our bad luck, we had a quick look at Cafe Coco but were put off a bit by the prices as it was the end of our trip and we'd already spent a lot.

My other big recommendation (bar Pizza Boys (see other post)!) is the Restaurant at Englishman's bay (Eulah's?). It's hard to imagine a restaurant with a more beautiful view anywhere in the world! And the grilled fish and chips that I had was great too!
Robert L
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Re: Our Restaurant Reviews

Post by Robert L »

We got back exactly 24 days ago (miss it already) and at this point I'll just submit my ratings (from 1 to 10 - ten being the best), a short note and will try to add further comments later on.

Kariwak - 8.5, excellent dinner and super seafood sandwiches for lunch.

Dillons - 8, good food and service on all visits but under staffed on one.

WYSIWYG - 7.5, great cocktails, good lunches and dinners.

Syps - 7, Tried brekkie, lunch and dinner. Good service, great breakfast, OK lunch, good dinner.

Bonkers - 6.5, not bad. Service OK as was the food.

Cafe Coco - 6, First time I loved the food, second time I found it lacking flavour.

Steak & Lobster - 6, wasn't too bad. I expected something horrible after having read reviews.

House of Pancakes - 3 (and that's just because I've never been to a 2 before), service faltered BADLY

La Cantina - Being away from home for two weeks really didn't make me cry out for Italian.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”