Ciao Pizza, Scarborough

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Ciao Pizza, Scarborough

Post by Andy K »

While browsing through the restaurants section of this web site, and occasionally contributing a Restaurant Reader's Satisfaction Vote, i came across Ciao Pizza, which i had visited on three occasions earlier this year.
(I come to Tobago at least once a month for some days).
I would go for ice cream and an italian drink next door to Ciao Cafe any time, so please, dear reader, don't misunderstand, what i am about to write.
The PIZZA i wanted to enjoy was far behind what i had expected to come out from a brick oven (and being priced in that category, of course). I tried three different kinds of pizza on the three occasions, only to find all of them quite tasteless and in need of peppersauce and other condoments (which are normally not supposed to go on an italian pizza at all [-X ).

Admittedly, i have been "spoilt" by the high standard of La Cantina's pizza, where i since go again, regardless of the longer drive from home. No more experiments.

I need to add that the corner at the bottom of Burnett Street also seems to attract vagrants at night, who annoyingly address patrons of both Ciao Pizza and Ciao Cafe, begging for money or just making disrespectful comments.
Some attention of the owner or staff to those situations would make patrons feel more comfortable sitting outside on the porch.

Greetings from Trinidad

Andy
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: Ciao Pizza, Scarborough

Post by Carol G »

Hi Andy,
I was rather surprised by your comments on Ciao Pizza and I appreciate you saying that this was not a comment on Ciao Cafe or I assume La Tartaruga. First off I will be upfront, my husband & I have known Gabriele for over 10 years and as often as we can afford visit his various restaurants. We were at Ciao Pizza in Jan, Feb and March of this year and had lovely evenings with friends (one from the UK). Nice to have somewhere in Scarborough we can get a decent meal; we live out "country side". Driving down to Store Bay, Castara or Buccoo are not an option for a casual or spur of the moment meals When we are not in Tobago we live in Toronto (a block from the area called Little Italy). I have not found any of the toppings at Ciao Pizza strange...the thought however of adding pepper sauce or other things just leaves me, breathless. We have not had any problem with (how should I put this) street people. I hope what you have stated is not the current situation in Scarborough/ Ciao Pizza.
Cheers, Carol :)
Gabriele
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Gabriele »

Ciao everybody: wanted to say that Ciao Pizza has been closed since April.
Will restart operations with November, new season (Tobago has been very quite).
Ciao Cafe' is regularly open seven days a week.
We always welcome your comments regardless of point of view, and we always make treasure of them to improve.
Grazie, Gabriele
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Carol,

as for the vagrants, unfortunately, this was the situation earlier this year, some months ago. As we could read from Gabriele, that had to be somewhere between January and April, which i am unable to specify closer, since i go to Tobago every few weeks for some days.
I had observed the situation much earlier and over the years and i must say, that part of Scarborough doesn't invite me much to come down at night, having to park my van somewhere, people possibly interfering with it, and having to listen to some "talk" of the above mentioned individuals.
(Admittedly, Trinis tend to overreact a bit when it comes to situations like this and see crime everywhere they go.)

As for the pizza, i have nothing to add to what i wrote earlier, and trust me, i do NOT like to use pepper sauce on pizza, if i can avoid it !
But we just learnt that Gabriele will reopen in November, so let's hope for a successful new start with some more flavour on the pizza.

Greetings from Trinidad,

Andy
Gabriele
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Gabriele »

Andy, grazie. After many years in Tobago I have learnt to be patient, observe and give the time for this beautiful island to improve, and there is a lot of space and it s actually happening all around us!
Ciao Pizza: we have almost completed the refurbishing of a 'covered beer garden' located upstair, in the back of the property. It is surrounded by green, will be used to accomodate the tables for the customers (with more 'privacy' from the street) and will also be available for theme parties and weddings.
There is also a 'small lounge' directly upstair on the second floor, wich will be prepared to accomodate small groups.
We will be ready for the 'winter season', head to toe and I will be looking to welcome you again! Gabriele

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”