Resort/Hotel meals overpriced

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
JC Mountain

Resort/Hotel meals overpriced

Post by JC Mountain »

We ate at Steak & Lobster, Bonkers and Sandy Point Beach Club and each meal was 250-400 for 2 people. They were good, but not great for the price. ( I live in a smaller town where going out to eat is 20-25 US total for apps, meal and desert and when it is 40-80 for just a entree...)

We also ate at some places I do not have names for and had local fair...Roti and such and had awsome meals for 2 on less than 100 TT

So I would say if you want a meal where the place setting is formal, 2 forks and such got to a resort/hotel. If you just want great food find a local resturant, get some roti, doubles from a stand, shark and bake, even a meal at sunday School.

I guess it is what you are into. My wife and I go places and like to try the local flavor, I don't want what I can get at home.
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Resort/Hotel meals overpriced

Post by Andy K »

JC,

unfortunately, i have to fully agree. The price gap between the tasty local food what you can buy at
the numerous small outlets and restaurants, and the international style restaurants is HUGE.
This is not a Tobago t'ing alone. When you go to places like TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesdays etc. in Trinidad,
you will experience the same. Even worse in one of the "fine dining" places, where you definately don't
leave the restaurant with a bill of less than TT$ 1,000.- for two people.
I only go to such places, when i feel for their food and i can't get it nowhere else and i am too lazy to cook it myself.
One place i occasionally return to in Tobago , to have a nice spicy rack of baby back ribs, is "Bamboo Mile" in Bon Accord. Those ribs are expensive, yes, but they are worth the money :D

Greetings from Trinidad,

Andy
Cindy B

Re: Resort/Hotel meals overpriced

Post by Cindy B »

We ate at Bonkers in late february. Overpriced, and not that good either to be honest!!
I agree, some of the best food is from smaller local stalls. But as I mentioned before, Colours was great food for a great price!!

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”