Amadeus

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Simon

Amadeus

Post by Simon »

Having seen the reviews - we were keen to visit Amadeus, after much searching we found it only to find that it was closed.

Patrick from Yes Tourism informed me that it is now permamently closed to non-residents. I believe that the owners intend to turn the place into a small hotel with good food and comfort for residents only.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Simon

Thanks for all your feedback today. I'm just about ready to hand the keys of myTobago over to you, so just let me know where to post them.

I must confess that your news about Amadeus came as a surprise - but not quite the surprise it might have. Based on three visits during the first half of our last trip, Amadeus was set to become our favourite restaurant on the island. However a fourth meal was, to be frank, very poor. Worse still, I found Marianne's attitude very disturbing. She certainly gave no impression that she wanted business. She was frankly rude to a party of four visitors who turned up without a booking. Each time I booked she made me bring forward the dining time to around 7.30pm because either they had a "big party" coming in later (which never materialised) or because "they were catching the night ferry to Trinidad". Chatting to someone the following day, it turned out she had used the same excuse to them two nights before and the people in the villa next to them the previous night – so three nights in one week they were catching the night ferry. On our last visit there, she switched the lights out before we got to the bottom of the longs steps down to the car park. All very strange and very sad, because Amadeus was quite special.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hello Steve

Thanks for your offer to take over the website - but I don't think the pay is good enough!! :D
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Never a truer word!

Thanks again for your input. Its what the site is all about and it makes our efforts worthwhile when others "repay" us for the resource by contributing full and detailed reports and review like your own. Thanks.
Steve Wooler
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'm surpsised to hear of Amadeus closing, especially as we ate there in May this year!! We found the food nice although a little rich, the service was discreet but certainly not rude. However, a few nights later three of our party returned and were not so impressed with the food on this occasion.

Linda
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Linda

What have you heard about Amadeus closing?

Just for sake of accuracy, in case your comments about rudeness referred to our restaurant listing, I have never heard of service being rude at Amadeus. As you know, Amadeus is run by a husband and wife team. Reuben does the cooking while Norwegian Marianne does the serving. The employ no staff. I have always found Marianne to be very polite, although her manner is somewhat supercilious. When dining there, I always feel tolerated, rather than welcome (this has no connection with myTobago – they apparently hadn’t even heard of us until late last year). The complaints and comments that I have heard and received, and experienced personally, have been in connection with Marianne’s manner when dealing with people who have turned up late for table reservations, taken too long to finish their meal, or worse still, arrived without a reservation. I undertook extensive research before making the comments in our restaurant listing, particularly amongst Tobago residents. Almost every report was along the same lines - “I’ve never had any problem with Marianne myself, but I know people who have”.

Anyway, please let me know what you have heard about them closing.
Steve Wooler
Anthony P

Post by Anthony P »

At one time we considered Amadeus to be the best kept secret on Tobago. It’s a heck of a long, bumpy and boring taxi ride from Crown Point in the dark, and those 50-60 steps up the hill to the restaurant are a total pain, but the relaxed atmosphere and great cuisine always made the effort worthwhile. I always thought that the lady (Marianne?) was just shy, so never took offence at her cool manner.

Everything changed during our last holiday. Things seem to have gone downhill. We were dreadfully disappointed by our last visit to Amadeus.

We had a table booked. Earlier in the day I telephoned to say two friends would like to join us. The lady refused, saying the restaurant was fully booked. Her manner was very abrupt. Before catching our taxi, we had a quick drink with the friends we had hope to take. I admit this made us 30-40 minutes late for our 7.30 pm table. I guess it was around 8 to 8.15 before we arrived. Boy, talk about the Ice Maiden! If looks and manner could kill, I’m dead and buried. On top of that, the meal was very mediocre. We took our friends to La Terrazza instead (wonderful!). They apparently tried Amadeus after we left, but said they were unimpressed. We’ve decided not to waste time going back. Oh, and by the way, there were only four other tables occupied when we got there and nobody came in after us, so they weren’t exactly busy. So why couldn’t they fit our friends in?

Tony

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”