Scottish Bar/Pub

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Gordon

Scottish Bar/Pub

Post by Gordon »

Hi,

Leaving a week today for my first trip to the Island.

Does anyone know of any Scottish or Irish pub's on the Island!? Not very cultured I know but always a good way of meeting people!

Thanks,
Gordon.
Louise I
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Louise I »

You won't need a scottish or irish pub to meet people!

Just go to one of the local rum shacks and start liming (talking) - cricket or Dwight Yorke are always good conversation openers!! We have found the locals to be more than friendly - which is why we keep going back! :o
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

sounds great! much prefer mixing with locals than the people you meet everyday anyway!

what' the best currency to take to Tobago?
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Currency

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Gordon

T&T dollars work for me.
I get 1,000 TT (approx. £100) to take out with me from my bank and use my credit card to access extra dosh whilst out there. The bank at Crown point, right opposite the airport, has an ATM.
Credit cards are widely accepted at many resturants, hotels and supermarkets, so you don't need that much in the way of cash.

Most tour operators, dive companies, hotels, resturants and car hire companies take US Dollars readily, but just make sure that you know the current exchange rate. Few people will knowingly rip you off, especially Tobago businesses, but the odd beach vendor might get his sums wrong, so it doesn't hurt to know how many TT there are to the US Dollar.

I have used the good old £ at some of the larger hotels, when paying for a meal etc. but please don't expect to pay for something like a bottle of coke or a ice cold coconut with a tenner and get £9.65p change.

Expect to pay the marked price in shops, bars and resturants, but don't be affraid to haggle politely, with the beach vendors. That's my wife's speciality.

Cheers
Steve
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Gordon

There are no "chain" Irish or Scottish pubs here - yet - but the following are run/owned by Brits and some might say that they provide a British/tropical pub "feel" and welcome (minus the ridiculous UK prices), plus at least the first two do a sunday roast for £7-8, plus the first also does fish and chips:

The Great Lime Inn, Crown Point (look for the union jack!)
The Polo Bar, Buccoo (look for the large letters on the side of the house as you drive into Buccoo)
The Cat and Fiddle Pub in Lambeau.

You might wish to try a sports bar in Scarborough (seafront) called Barcode, where the Trini owner, local staff and patrons are very friendly, there is a dartboard, pool tables etc.

Have fun
Glyn Kirpalani

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”