La Tartaruga, Buccoo

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

La Tartaruga, Buccoo

Post by Steve Wooler »

May I extend our congratulations to La Tartaruga restaurant in Buccoo, who recently won the 2003 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.

La Tartaruga has long been known for its excellent Italian cuisine. Amenable host, Gabriele de Gaetano, is something of a wine buff (a touch of British understatement here) and can offer diners a choice from 202 Italian labels, costing between US$20-$1500. There are even 42 selections of wine by the glass (US$4.50-$35).

La Tartaruga has now introduced an à la carte menu with starters at US$3-9 and main courses US$9-27.50 to supplement their fixed price menus of US$25 for the three-course dinner and US$58 for the “tasting” menu.

Readers may also be interested to learn that Gabriele has also opened a new Italian Ice Cream bar –Ciao Café – in Burnett Street, Scarborough (about a 2-minute walk uptown from the port).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Steve

Their ice cream is delicious, although I had the pleasure of sampling it c/o the competition at the new italian restaurant on Shirvan Road, La Terraza. Very nice food and service too, but they do source the ice cream from the Burnett St store you mention.

Let's hope that now there is a choice of Italian restaurants on Tobago, prices will continue to drop and quality rise.

Regards
Glyn Kirpalani
I Slade

Nice just doesn't do it!

Post by I Slade »

We ate at La Tartaruga this Xmas, it was the best meal we had on the island by a long way. Gabriele is a superb host and his passion about the food and wine he serves is wonderful.

Make sure you pay a visit when you are in Tobago and yes, the ice cream is superb!

Make sure you book in advance though as he was often booked up for days in advance.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”