Evening Dining

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
M Doolan

Evening Dining

Post by M Doolan »

I have never experienced such wonderful food - and my parents were both chefs and I am not too bad myself - I am also very fussy!

A few of the restaurants we tried I have listed below. However, even shopping in supermarkets is very reasonable compared to what you would pay in the UK.

Gary and I dine out a lot in the UK and in some of the better restaurants we expect to pay between £60 - £100 for a special meal.

ALL the meals out we had in Tobago came to about £40 to £50 including a bottle of wine (which is the most expensive drink in Tobago because it's imported). Below are a few examples:-

Cafe Iguana
Lovely little restaurant. Very friendly and efficient staff. The barman from New York is very amiable and he will stay open as long as you want to keep drinking. Disappointed they didn't have crab and dumplings on the menu the night we went but the garlic shrimps were excellent as were the shrimps creole and the pumpkin soup. The jazz music was lovely. All in all, a lovely experience and a pleasant atmosphere.

Jemmas Tree House
What a pearl in the ocean! On being seated in the 'Tree House' we asked for a menu and were told that they didn't have one but we could have shrimps, lobster, chicken or fish! I opted for fish and Gary for shrimps. No idea of the cost when we ordered or what they came with. However we were not disappointed. The fish was King fish in a lovely creole sauce - two large pieces. Gary must have had at least 20 shrimps. This was served with salad, vegetables, rice and macaroni pie. All for about £18. BARGAIN! And it tasted superb.

Dillons Seafood Restaurant
Undoubtedly the best fish I have ever tasted. We both had lobster crepes for starters which just melted in the mouth. For main course I had baby red snapper stuffed with crab meat and shrimps in a creamy white wine sauce - to die for! Gary had the catch of the day which consisted of red snapper in batter and flying fish - again, couldn't fault it. The service was pleasant. The only downside was that if you want a romantic setting, it is slightly marred by the Pelican Reef's entertainment opposite - you can hear their entertainment blaring throughout your meal -maybe Dhillons should turn up their music a bit louder to drown it out.

Coco Bay RestaurantBeautiful setting and excellent service. Very lush surroundings and very reasonably priced. The menu was somehwat limited but the food was very tasty just the same. The cocktails were lovely too. We enjoyed it thoroughly but we ate here the last night of our holiday so we made the most of it.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”