Full board or breakfast only?

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Jonno
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Full board or breakfast only?

Post by Jonno »

Hi all,
First time on this forum and looking forward to our first trip to Tobago in February 2011.
We are just about decided to book into the Coco reef but are undecided as to what meal choice to arrange.
I am not an experienced traveller or user of hotels. We are a family of four-two children 11&8.
The difference between breakfast and all inclusive is over £900. I don't think we will be just staying put at the hotel all week so I was wondering how expensive it was to eat out in the area.
Great forum, It certainly has made us chose Tobago as a destination.
Thanks in advance
Jonathan.
GillMathews
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: Full board or breakfast only?

Post by GillMathews »

Hi Jonno.
I am returning to Tobago in May for my sixth time. I usually stay in the in the same area of the island that you are going to.I always go self catering in an apartment as I am not a 'hotelly' person.I prefer my own space and freedom to be out and about with no time constraints.I confess to being very selfish where Tobago is concerned and choose to pay less for accomodation in order to stay for longer. However for you and your family (you don't say if you will have transport ) there are many catering venues very close to Coco Reef.Both Store Bay and Pigeon Point beaches have catering with both hot and cold food from various booths and vendors and small shops. Within easy walking distance (some only 3-5 mins) are quite a lot of restaraunts and fast food outlets.
In the home page drop down menu follow Accomodation/Hotels/Location/2 for Coco reef.Then follow Restaraunts/region 1. Coco Reef is in the middle of the dense bunch of markers and there are quite a few more food opportunities that are not there. Food prices have certainly gone up over the years but I still find them very reasonable.Bit of a dilemma I suppose but £900 is a lot of money!
Whatever your decision, I hope you all have a fabulous time and that you will share your thoughts about your holiday when you return.
Regards Gill
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi
I´ve have no experiences of hotel´sand their restaurants as I´m staying by a local family in Bon Accord and I´ve been to Tobago every year since 1992, T&T as a whole since 1989.
Gill is correct, when she say there are quite many restaurants and food shops in the Crow Point Area, if I would stay at a Coco Reef, I would go for breakfast and not all inclusive.

It´s diffuicult to see distanses to the restaurantes on the map, when you never have been in Tobago, but as an example: if you walk normally from the gate at Coco Reef all the way to the Airport, you reach the Airport in about 5-10 minutes, all depending how fast you walk.
You have quite many places to choose from in the Crown Point area, and in February mostly of them should be in service as you are there during the High Season.

On thing to think about is the price, as Gill say, they have gone up during the past 4-5 years, but there are still places with resonable prices. But that doesn´t mean that all smaller restaurants always are cheaper. As an example, I´ve been to the Café Coco quite many times (behind Coco Reef on a small street) and that restaurant isn´t so expensive as one can believe. Good food, service and mostly large plates, some dishes are more expensive at some smaller places, in teh Crown Point area!

You have plenty of time to search on the restaurant section and to ask specifik questions.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

It is of course your own choice,however I would suggest that you go for the b&B option.You have a good variety of restaurants and eating out/take away places in that area.If you do want a night in then eat at the hotel.
I feel that for your family the best option is B&B(or even room only)
David (freezing cold)

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”