Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
WarrenMi
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Local Food in Scarborough Request

Post by WarrenMi »

Hi,

Happy Holidays to Everyone!

Wife and I are doing a couple of days the end of next month with some friends of a friend at the DMPI in Trinidad, then off to the Half Moon Blue on Tobago for five days of sunning, snorkeling, touring...and EATING!

We've munched our way through local restaurants around the world (including a recent yummy month in India) the past 35 years, including a fair number of Caribbean islands, and have no desire to do any "high end" tourist-oriented restaurants on Tobago. We're dinner eaters only (no lunch), and what we mostly want to do is pick up local food that we can reheat for dinner. The only exceptions might be the Salsa Kitchen & Blue Crab if we can get through to them for dinner reservations. Aside from those two, the "My Tobago" restaurant listing for our area (Scarborough) suggest that Eddie's and Chef's BBQ might have local food to take away. Question is can we get good examples of things like shark & bakes, doubles, buss-up shots, rotis, etc. at these places or other ones in Scarborough, or do we need to go to Store Bay or look for roadside stands when we tour around? Also, does the Masala Hot Roti Shop still exist, and has Ciao Pizza reopened (it's still listed) or are they closed for good?

Much thanks for your responses!!

Michael
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Local Food in Scarborough Request

Post by Andy K »

Michael,

you already mentioned Eddie's restaurant. They do have a good variety of local (creole and indian) food.
Try also "Flavor Pot" restaurant, it is not listed here. You will find the place opposite MILES ALMANDOZ Liquor
Warehouse in Wilson Road. Turn off into the side street opposite TSTT. To me one of the best outlets for creole food in Tobago.
If you want to eat good curries in Tobago, go to Trinidad :lol:
I avoid eating caribbean indian food in Tobago, unless i cook it myself.

Doubles at the airport and at "Hot on de Spot" truck several times per week in Milford Road. Also near
Penny Savers supermarket in Carnbee and on the main road in Bon Accord.

Bake & Shark is best in Trinidad. Unless you find somebody who serves all the condoments, dressings etc.,
forget it. There used to be a lady selling very nice bake & shark in Crown Point, but i haven't seen her
recently.

Seasons Greetings,

Andy
WarrenMi
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by WarrenMi »

Thanks Andy!

I'll definitely check out the "Flavor Pot," and look for Doubles closer to Crown Point and the Airport. Three questions:
-- Do you happen to know if Ciao Pizza is permanently closed or is reopened/planning to reopen?
-- Do you have any opinion about trying to do dinner at either the Blue Crab or Salsa Kitchen?
-- What's the best all-around supermarket/grocery in Scarborough, and do they sell rum/beer or would I go to the Miles Almandoz Liquor Warehouse you mentioned for alcohol?

Thanks Again!

Michael
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Michael,
Andy gave you some excellent suggestions and the best comment on eating curry...do in Trinidad. Do try Eddie's. Not a lot of people (except locals) go there. Good value, lots of choices and very typical food....not fancy but local fare. Ahem, you might want to take it easy on "provisions" a little goes a long way.

To answer some of your other questions:
When we left at the beginning of December...Ciao Pizza was maybe open or going to open...couldn't tell and didn't have time to check in at Ciao Cafe. Not fond of spending time in Scarborough. Anyone know if it did?
Cannot recommend a grocery store in Scarborough. Instead go to either the Pennysaver in Carnbee (my personal choice; less crowded, easy to get in and out of) or the Pennysaver in Canaan. This is assuming you have a rental. You could do by bus. But a pain if you are planning to buy a lot. If you are looking for something local...do try the goat cheese from the lady in Orange Hill!!
For your liquid needs...Almandoz usually has the best prices. Although in December the price of rum was the same as the Pennysaver. Yes, you can buy rum and beer almost every where; grocery stores, mini-marts, rum shops, etc.. They will have a sign outside noting they are licensed to sell "spirits". Where to buy depends on how much you want and how much you want to spend.
My pick for dinner would be the Salsa Kitchen. Think the Blue Crab is overrated (please take as only my opinion). Have you considered the Fish Pot...see reviews.
Hope you have a great trip.
Carol
WarrenMi
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by WarrenMi »

Thanks Carol!

We're going to have a local dinner cooked for us by "Baby" of the DMPI on Trinidad who my friend touts as the best cook on the island, so hopefully we'll get one good curry on our trip. (Spent 30 days in India last Spring, so we certainly have had a good run of curries)

We're not renting a car so we'll be wanting to stay close to Scarborough for most of our eating/shopping activities. I see from the My Tobago listings that there is a smaller Pennysaver in Scarborough which with Almandoz should do for our food and beverage needs. We'll definitely try for one dinner @ Salsa Kitchen and do the rest as take-out from places like Eddie's and other local food stands we pass on our Island "touring." A few local beers and/or a bottle of local rum and some fruit juice will create the appropriately festive dinner atmosphere.

Have a Happy New Year!

Michael
Rachel Crew
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Rachel Crew »

Masala Hot Shop is still open at the end of the esplanade, but a shorter walk would be Rena's in the TLH mall - a little way down the esplanade from the port on the inland side of the road. Very popular.

You can also get local breakfasts in the market (indoor section) in the centre of town (eg fried bakes, roast bakes) on a Friday or Saturday morning especially. Ciao Pizza was open a couple of weeks ago - not sure what their situation is now, but Ciao cafe is open and also does nice lunches (italian style). There is also a gyro shop in uptown scarborough, opposite the fire station, and a local lunch shop next to the medical laboratory just up from the traffic lights.

Go to Salsa Kitchen early in your stay - you might well find you want to go there again before you leave!

Hope that helps!
Rachel & Marlon Winter-Roach
CocoMotion - http://www.cocomotion.net
WarrenMi
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by WarrenMi »

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all of your great local foods suggestions. Except for perhaps a dinner at Salsa Kitchen, we'll be making the rounds of the Scarborough "joints"--and if we're around Crown Point/Airport, there as well--during the day, and have us some fine Tobagoan feasts at night.

Michael
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

There is also K Mart Supermarket, very close by Almandoz and like Almandoz has its own car park.

Some items are cheaper in Penny Savers some in K Mart. The big difference is that there is room to move around in K Mart. Penny Savers in Wilson Road is always a crush. So are the other supermarkets down by the dock to a large extent.

You could investigate Salsa Kitchen, Flavour Pot, Almandoz and K Mart all in one go at the same time as going to TSTT to get a sim card! If you are feeling lazy, drive across the lights and a little way up to Salsa Kitchen but it is walkable.

Also, if you fancy doing your own cooking occasionally, or want fruit, don't forget the market in Wilson Road.

Frank
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

On Fridays from about 1130 until 230pm a group of ladies from a charity have a big hot food and bbq kitchen outside the Docksite Club.Very good value
David

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”