New Chinese restaurant on site of D'Coal Pot - Red Crab.

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

New Chinese restaurant on site of D'Coal Pot - Red Crab.

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi all

Just to report that the closed D' Coal Pot restaurant (adjacent Tropikist Hotel, on road to Sandy Point) is now open as a restaurant again - the Red Crab Chinese.

By all accounts (or at least one - a lobster main course cost just tt$40, or around £4!) the food is excellent, absurdly reasonably priced and from what I have seen from the road, the setting is pretty enough. Next on our list for a meal I think, since the prior quality of chinese food available on Tobago thus far is pretty bland, at best.

Has anyone eaten there yet for a report?

Steve W - one for the listings, don't know tel number yet but possibly same as D'coal Pot, and will let you know if noone else does first.

Regards
Glyn Kirpalani
Nora

Post by Nora »

Thanks Glyn, im off yo the tropikist this weekend so ill definately pop in one night and write my review when i get back. Lobster for £4 - definately worth a try! :wink:
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks guys. I've added it to the [http://www.myTobago.info/restaurants.htm]Restaurants[/url] listing but would obviously like to add the telephone number and any comments/confirmation on the food there.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Nora

Enjoy it - with any luck they will still be GIVING away free glasses of wine (as their liquor license had not been issued to sell it yet - due imminently apparently). Please get a telephone number for Steve, plus fax and email if they have it, but forget that if you are busy as I may pop in next week as we have chinese food loving friends over from London.

If we all tell them we read about it on MyTobago.info, then when Steve and Jill are out in January he may get the "VIP" treatment (assuming you like chinese food Steve?) - a free lobster claw or something. Our xmas present to them! :)

Regards
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I enjoy Chinese food, Glyn, but have always avoided the "delights" of Tobago ever since someone said "If you want good Chinese food on Tobago, go to Trinidad".

Mind you, what I really long for and miss while on Tobago is our English national dish - curry. I was brought up on Guyanese/Trindadian East Indian curry and it has been my tradional Sunday dinner ever since (with all due respect to Beef & Yorkshire which would still be my favourite Sunday Lunch). It's a total sod because a brilliant Indian restaurant has opened just 3 miles from us here on the Essex/Suffolk border - a month before we are due to move further away. Life can be a bitch!

I never got round to trying Tobago's only authentic "Indian" restaurant - in Pigeon Point Road. That's closed now and I understand that there are no alternatives. Pity - with the number of Brits visiting the island, I would have thought there would be a good market. Ah well, we'll just have to pop over to Trinidad.
Steve Wooler
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Steve

Soooo true! There is the atmosphere-less Mumtaz in Crown Point for half-decent east indian trini food in the evenings, but no (Brit/bangla) style tandoori that we know and love.

I too have long recognised this gap in the market here - with 85% of foreign tourists being Brits - and recommended to a hotel owning friend (with a closed restaurant in good Mount Irvine location) that he should ship in some tandoori chefs from UK, or go in with a UK retauranteur to relaunch his restaurant as a fully fledged tandoori.

He loves the idea, so I emailed my UK friends asking them to put the feelers out into curry houses near them - ended up with one half interested owner emailing me but he appears to have lost interest.

Maybe you (or someone else) could approach your new local restaurant and ask if they want a foothold in Tobago? A few weeks ago I travelled 5,000 miles for a vindaloo in Sarf London (secondary to showing new baby to grandma too), so bring em on! I should be happy to put any restauranteurs (or budding ones) in touch with the hotel owner - outlay would be minimal since he has it all there already, gathering dust - he just wants a profit share arrangement, no rent even!

Time for the "Bombay Wooler Nights" to open? :D

Regards
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Naah, sounds too naff - maybe myTandoori would have a better ring.

Talking of names, this new restaurant took over the premises of a very good bistro - the Red Onion. But no, they sadly missed the humour and failed to call themselves the Red Onion Bahjee.
Steve Wooler
Nora

red crab review

Post by Nora »

First of all i apologise as i did not see your message before i travelled so cannot provide you with the red crabs telehone number. However good news - its GREAT :lol: . The building is very tastefully decorated and extremely light and airy. The staff could not be more helpful providing us with maps of the island etc and taking a real interest in your holiday. It is exceptionally good value for money- it was one of our cheapest meals on the island. I had hot and sour soup and allan had deep fried shrimps to start which were delicious. For main meals we had a mixed plate of shrimp chinese style chicken and char sui pork which was as tasty as any I have had in liverpools china town. They also allow you to order each dish in 3 different quantities so if you want you could have a little bit of many dishes and create a banquet. They were still waiting for their beer liscence but are now serving wine, it was very popular and had alot of repeat custom. GO ON GIVE IT A TRY :twisted:

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”