Curry is coming!

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Curry is coming!

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Dear fellow curry-lovers

Good news - I am reliably informed (by my wife who bumped into Ashton Lutchman owner and chef from Melange Restaurant) that he is due to open Tobago's first Tandoori style Indian restaurant, in a building next to the Melange (Shirvan Rd, SW Tobago).

It is apparently due to open in January, hopefully in time for the Royal Visit (Steve Wooler).

Let's hope it does and is good - Ashton used to live and work in Newcastle so ought to know what constitutes a good curry. Takeaway service is also planned but I do not know if this would include delivery, at first.

Enjoy, we hope
Glyn Kirpalani
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Hopefully with a Tobago-twist. As much as I love curry I would much rather get something a bit more "local" than a Geordie ruby! :-)
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Marc

Been living here 8 months now and there are only five things I miss about the UK (at least a couple of them a bit sad I know!):

1. Friends and family
2. Shopping - being able to readily buy things without having to fly to Trinidad!
3. British Comedy/humour
4. A decent Indian Curry
5. Fish and Chips (although this can be had here)

In no particular order. You probably have curry houses all around you, yet you take them for granted! They are a fine "British" institution.

Regards
Glyn Kirpalani
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Sure you miss them, but I certainly won;t for the two weeks I am there, even the Wimbledon Broadway Tandoori special... sprout bhaji :-)

You sound like you need a few relatives to pop over with some curry recipes and some DVDs ;-)
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Marc

Just when I thought I'd heard it all - sprout bhaji!?

Think I'll pass on that one ta.

As for family - had loads of 'em out these last few months, inspecting their Trini born relation, our new baby - but as a friend on the island said of family visits - "it's nice to see them come, and it's nice to see them go". Then you can miss them again...human nature is odd.

At least the weather makes up for missing blighty, although there is a chill in the air this week - down to low 20s at night and only 28 in the day - will have to dust off the wooly hat soon.

Cheers
Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Marc

Sprout bhaji? I mean it in the nicest possible way, but please let me know where you're staying so I can ensure there's no chance of me having to use the same bathroom for a week or two. I think you're winding us up - I bet you work for Andrex.

All the best for the New Year.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

No wind up. It's really nice as well (if you like sprouts that is!).

Honestly never seen it elsewhere though!
Sue Mills

Post by Sue Mills »

hi glyn - am still planning to buy that house and as you very kindly offered advice (which i will get round to taking you up on) will promise some of the best curries ever in thanks!
oh and steve - virgin upper are 2 for one again from april 9th - any reports on excel one yet?
this site just gets better and better!
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Sue

It is no trouble, nay a pleasure, to assist any Tobago lovers as yourself - and let's hope Ashton does give it a go and opens up a curry house - I will be honoured to accept your kind offer!

Best wishes
Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sue

I met Karl Pilstl, the owner of Blue Haven, at the World Travel Market in London in November and he had travelled out on Excel One. Reckoned it was very good.

I will be able to report better in early March. Our son, his wife and baby are coming out to join us for the last two weeks of our trip. They are travelling Excel One (the old folks are relegated to Premium Economy), so we shall have first hand reports of both classes.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”