eating out - personal review

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Nora

eating out - personal review

Post by Nora »

I had the pleasure of eating out in tobago the first 2 weeks in december and found tobagan food was a revelation. Allan, my companion a non fish eater ate fish with gusto every night for the whole 2 weeks!!! My favourite places were

DILLONS Beautiful fresh fish, rice and vegetables. The callaloo soup was very tasty and the red snapper stuffed with crab delicious. This was my favourite place and we ate here on our last night also. You just havnt tasted fish until you go to dillons - the lobster looked amazing and we ate a fish called a wahoo fish !!!! A definate for all us fish lovers.

MARCIAS A little out the way but again beautiful tobagan food. Portions were generous and the menu had alot of choice. We plumped forThe corn and pumpkin soup which was very tasty. The beef stew was very tender cooked to perfection and the curry conch was out of this world. Marcia herself was very friendly and hospitable - a real gem of a place.

Ru-b-lous -I have never tasted shrimp quite like it before. It was to die for.A truly great meal with the shrimps very plump and fluffy. Allan opted for the grouper fish which was gorgeous. Again the portions were generous and the vegetables and cheesy mash delicious. The menu is very limited however which is a shame but ensures what meals they do serve -they cook extremely well

cafe -coco - This was a real surprise. Its excellent in the evening for cheap cocktails and pre dinner drinks and really is rather plush. We were not going to eat here as it looked a bit artificial but decided to after hearing how great it was from other people. We both opted for the belly bust soup which was described as a fish soup.It actually tasted of oxtail and fish soup which although sounding a bit strange worked really well. A taste not to be missed! i had the beef casserole which was very tasty and peppery and allan had fish which was also very good. The portion size was the most generous we experienced so definately an option when you are hungry. Very romantic with candles and dim lighting again a real find.

Panache - we went on our first night and had the tastiest pumpkin soup ever. The owner was really friendly and the ambiance very laid back and romantic .I reccomend the shrimps in creole sauce, the sauce was sublime. Allan opted for the chicken in creole sauce which was also excellent.They have live music on some nights so you need to get there early as it tended to be full by 8pm on these nights.

Cafe Iguana - This was one of our favourite drinking dens they serve excellent food also - the jerk pork was very hot and very succulent. The pork casserole was also cooked very well. They have a live jazz night on a saturday which is not to be missed. Sharon the female lead in Destiny is excellent her voice still haunts me now. The owner a and staff have created a lovely laid back atmosphere - go you wont be dissapointed

Other places we visited which are worth going to when you need a change from tobagan food (which shouln,t be very often )are are the red crab for chinese food and muntaz for indian food .

The only 2 places that I cant rave about but cant really criticise either as the food was up to standard just not exceptional were the pelican reef and bonkers. The fish soup in the pelican was tasty and reccomended but the fish in both establishments tasted very ordinary in comparison to dillons and ru-b-lous.
The pelican bar however is great for drinks and is lovely and cool due to much welcomed air conditioning!!!

Well thats about it - having been to barbados we were not expecting the food to be any great shakes but tobagos food especially the fish was the highlite of our stay - truly delicious Mnnnn! :lol:

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”