Rough cost of eating out in Tobago

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Deb

Rough cost of eating out in Tobago

Post by Deb »

We are going to Tobago in March for a week after spending a week in Trinidad for the cricket and are looking forward to it so much!

We are staying at the Coco Reef on a b&b basis but do not want to go All Inclusive, we'd rather eat out in local restaurants in the evenings. We wondered if anyone has a good or even rough idea of how much money (£) we are each likely to need to cover a reasonable meal in local restaurants every evening for that week in Tobago, plus drinks (local beer, local cocktails probably (won't be eating in the hotels) and perhaps a few soft drinks in the daytime - probably won't eat at lunchtime, but if we do it would just be a local snack. Do you have to pay to get into local music bars? We'd like to feel comfortable that we're not going to run out of money but at the same time don't want to take way too much if we don't need it.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Paul J Corney

Cost of eating out

Post by Paul J Corney »

Deb, like all things in life - it depends!

For good home cooking within 5 / 10 minutes walk from Coco Reef - you will pay no more than £20 per head (inclusive of drinks). See Restaurant section for places to go.

If you want to go more up market and venture to the Mt Irvine Bay area you might end up at £25-£30 per head again inclusive of drinks.

For a real dining experience go to La Tatarugia on Buccoo and expect to pay £50 per head inclusive of an excellent wine,

Eating out in Tobago is great value for money and with sterling appreciating against the US $ (the TT $ is linked to it) its getting cheaper by the day.

Congratulations on going B&B - while the Coco Reef has really good food local restaurants are as much fun if not more and you will be supporting the local economy.

Enjoy
PeterS

Dine around in Tobago

Post by PeterS »

In the course of a week, you can explore many of Tobago culinary offerings. Plan on at least one or two Fine Dining Experiences: Shirvan Watermill on Shirvan Road (near to your hotel by car) Approx GBP30-40 per head or Seahorse Inn on BlackRock Beach...about the same...the trick with these places is they keep refilling your water glasses in an effort to quench your thirst from the sun....but then bill you a huge amount for bottled water. The pipe bourne water is completely safe and you should specify "Tap Water" or "WASA Water" to save on beverage costs. A small bottle of water can run you about GBP3.50.
Other than this, enjoy the local fare at the Store Bay Beach Facilty: A boxed dinner there is about GBP5.00/meal and you can either sit there or walk out on the beach to enjoy your supper. Kariwak Village has excellent local food.

For lunches: The golf club at Tobago Hilton...not the hotel, but, the Golf Clubhouse...now run by the former owners of Rouselles. They also do Breakfast but not dinner. Another great lunch opportunity, not to be missed, is Gemma's Treehouse Kitchen in Speyside. The opposite side of the island, perfect for when you are doing your sight-seeing....Rent a car by the way for at least three days of your week. Lunch there will be about GBP6.00 at Gemmas.

Eat lots of fish and fresh fruit and enjoy your visit to Tobago.
Deb

Thank you

Post by Deb »

Thanks for your replies - they'll be really useful. I'll print a list of the restaurants recommended/mentioned in the other forum too - I just hope there's enough time to do everything we want to! Can't wait, but not long now - have been talking about this trip for about 4 years & it's been a long while getting here but will be over all too soon i'm sure!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply
Deb
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

I hate do disagree with the previous post,however yocan eat very well of good local cuisine or European for GBP10-15 per head including a few glasses of wine each in many very good places. Polo,at Bocoo Indigo at Pleasant Prospect to name but two.Go really local and go to a local restaurant and have beer at 50-70p abottle/1/2pint(or risk rum!!) and treat yourself to a rosti at about GBP1-2,it'll fill you up.Finally make friends and keep to one taxi driver and you will get on well.
Have a great time,David. :lol:
Deborah Marzohl

Post by Deborah Marzohl »

Hi Deb
I would take a different approach from the people who have already replied to you as I would avoid the Hilton Hotel Shirvan Watermill and definitely La Tatarugia - to my mind they are a bit too international and you can get just as good - and most cases cheaper -at home. The Seahorse Inn has a fabulous location but I would stick to the fish as the other dishes are not very imaginative and can be over priced.
We always try to experience more local places with good, fresh local ingredients, friendly service and a feel of Tobago. I would recommend Cafe Iguana, The Melange, Gemmas Tree House Kitchen, you should try a good Roti - the best are in Scarborough, Indigo and the food kiosks at Store Bay. If you like fish and seafood you will not be disappointed and if you enjoy cocktails - as opposed to wine which is expensive - you'll have a great dining experience.
Enjoy
Deborah
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

Hi Deb!
Try to get out of the Crown Point Area! Try to see the island! On the way you can eat in every small hut that they call restaurant. The real local food is ti be found in the smaller restaurants where "mummy" is cooking.
Were they don't have a menu, ask for the price upfront to avoid missunderstandings....!
Enjoy your trip and your meals!

Steph & Ali

deborah is right, boxfood and roti is a must! :!:
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Nora

Post by Nora »

Hi Deb, £10-15 per head is average fo a 2 course meal in crown point if you stay off the wine. Excellent meals to be had are in Dillons right next door to the coco reef (fish fish and more fish). Ru-b-lous again around the £10 mark absolutely not to be missed - next to the tropikist hotel on store bay local road. Cafe co-co is also good value and excellent food and if you really want a local treat try Marcias a little further on from bonkers- we walked there from the tropikist - a bit dark but very safe and the food and service cannot be faulted- true tobagan cooking. If I had a bit more money you are doing exactly what I would do - using co-co reef as a base with its luxuries but eating out at local restaurants which to me cannot be faulted- the best food ive tasted in the carribean !!! Enjoy :lol: :lol:

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”