La Terrazza

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
rkohler

La Terrazza

Post by rkohler »

I have been visiting Tobago for the last eight years and during that time Tartaruga has reigned supreme as the daddy of Italian restaurants on the island.

However, I wish to report that it is time for Gabrielle to abdicate. There is a new king in town - La Tarrazza!

My wife and I had a superb meal there, the quality of which would rival any Italian restaurant the world over. The chef and owner Stefano is extremely charming and the restaurant has a great atmosphere.

As an extra special touch, if you like a cigar after dinner, you can ask Stefano to get one from his walk in humidor - he also owns the Tobago Cigar Factory right next door to the restaurant! How about that? Watch you cigar being made before you smoke it!

I would recommend La Terrazza above Tartaruga any day.

The king is dead, long live the king!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

I met Stefano at the 'old' cigar factory back last January and took a whole bunch of photos meaning to do a piece in myTobago. It was a bitch of a year and I seemed to do nothing but catch up on the accommodation reviews, so I simply haven't got to that article yet.

Anyway, the point was that I met Stefano and can endorse what you say about him being very charming. I believe he comes from a long line of restaurateurs. Since La Terrazza opened earlier this summer, we have received an increasing number of highly positive reports, praising both their catering and the pleasant, friendly “family” atmosphere. In fact, one local contact who considers himself a connoisseur of fine dining (as his stomach attests), reckons it has the potential to be the best restaurant on the island. We are looking forward to trying it for ourselves within the next week or two. I somehow suspect that it won’t be a single visit.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Lucy Knight

Post by Lucy Knight »

We too ate at La Terrazza and found it exceptional. We spent most of our two weeks at Speyside - and really enjoyed the "fish, shrimp or steak" approach to local food but halfway through the week we always fancy pasta or Pizza, and travelled to explore the island. We stayed 2 nights at Enchanted Waters which is next door to La Terrazza. We had fantastic "open ravioli with Scallops and shrimp in a cream sauce" for around £9 and enjoyed our only bottle of wine of the holiday. I would really recommend it for that pasta fix - also the Pina Colada icecream was to die for!
Paul J Corney

A cautionary tale that marred a very good experience!

Post by Paul J Corney »

La Terrazo:
Opened August 2003, located on the Shirvan Road next to Patinos.
Décor and ambience very good, wine list extensive / cosmopolitan and range and quality of food (Italian) high. Owner / Chef is an Italian with international experience.
Expect to pay circa £20 per head with wine inclusive of service.

I would recommend it.

NB Our visit was somewhat marred by an incident over the bill wherein we were “accused” of not giving the server the correct amount. In view of the excellent service we had received we will give them the benefit of the doubt but it did cost us an extra £20 and there was little we could do about it as we had handed the money over and it was her word against ours. I would urge other diners to pay close attention to the amount they hand over in payment as my fellow diners and I are all financial people well used to handling the local currency!

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”