Crown Point or Castara ???

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Peter

Crown Point or Castara ???

Post by Peter »

First of all, please excuse my bad english. I learnt it at school, but that’s 30 years ago. My wife and me will come to Tobago in november the first time. We’re looking for a clean and cheap apartment (up to 60 Dollar/night) in walking distance to a very good beach. The area should be a bit busy with restaurants and supermarkets and a good base for exploring the island by rental car.
We don’t like too quite secluded places.
I think, the first option is Crown Point and there following accommodation: Sandy Point Beach Club, Rainbow Resort, Arthurs by the sea, Belleviste Apartments, Store Bay Holiday Resort.
The second option is Castara and there Sealevel Guesthouse or the Naturalist Beach Resort.
Am I right, any other advice ? Thank you for your answers !
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Peter

No need to apologise - your English seems better than some native English speakers!

Castara and Crown Point are opposite ends of the scale. Crown Point is very built-up and commercial (although these are relative terms). Castara is quiet isolated. Personally, I would choose Castara every time, but I suspect from your post that you would be better choosing Crown Point.

Although I have never stayed there, I toured the Sandy Point Beach Club during my recent visit. I think it seems to offer excellent facilities for the price. Be warned - do NOT confuse this with the Sandy Point Village, which has a terrible reputation.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your quick answer.
I think, Castara is not too deserted. I've read in my guide-book (the german Lonely Planet) there are three restaurants and a small supermarket. Perhaps it's a good idea to stay one week at busy Crown Point (getting the tan at Pigeon Point) and then one week liming at Castara Bay, to see the difference. What's your opinion ?
Best regards from cold Hamburg
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

That would be a very good choice, Peter.

As I said, it would be no choice for me - I would stay in Castara every time. However, I was concerned that you wanted an area that was "a bit busy with restaurants and supermarkets". Nowhere outside the Crown Point area can be considered "busy" on Tobago. Yes, Castara has three restaurants - but they are all "local" restaurants serving variations of the same Creole food so you won't have the same choice that you would in the Crown Point area. Also, do not think of "supermarket" in the same way that you would in Hamburg - even Tobago's biggest supermarket is tiny in comparison. However, Crown Point is ugly and the beaches crowded, where Castara is beautiful and a wonderful base from which to explore the island.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

good plan, good plan!
in castara the two you chose are nice, but the sealevel guresthouse have a german manager. very nice guy!!! that don't mean you would not get in touch with locals....just for info. bringing people from there to the airport sometimes and they loved it. its one mitunte more from the beach than naturalist, but the view is lovely. if you go to nat. make sure you go to the room called king fish. otherwise you might not see the beach...
CU soon! :wink:

ali & Steph (from germany as well, but living here now)
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Kat Blomfeld
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Kat Blomfeld »

Ali & Steph

With all those Germans in Castara, does it mean we'll have to get up really, really early to put our towels on the sunbeds? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Only joking - my husband is German too.

Lots of love
Kat
Peter

Post by Peter »

@ Ali & Steph,

Thanks for your comment, in the meantime I've found the homepage of Sea Level Guesthouse, look here: http://www.tobago.de
Danke Jungs für Euren Beitrag ! :D

@ Kat,

We will come to Tobago to avoid the "towel war" !
After our experiences from Mallorca or the Canary Islands I would say: the "Brits" are not better than the germans :lol: [/url]
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

so far we have no towel war here...
as soon it will start, i'll talk to the gourvernment to make a law against it!!!! :lol:
cu you

steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Having just returned from the Rex Turtle Beach, I can confirm that the German towel war is on in Tobago!, but you are quite correct, the Brits are not far behind.

It was very tempting to get up really early one morning and reserve all the best spots and then to video the reactions. But we could not get up early enough. :D

Return to “General Accommodation”