access query

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Brian Pile

access query

Post by Brian Pile »

Apologies I have posted this elsewhere, perhaps in the wrong place...
Dear Steve

What a great website. 2 friends stayed full board at the Rex Turtle Beach in January this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since then I have been exploring the island via the web, and realise 1. they might have been lucky 2. there is far more choice available.

I hope you don't mind my contacting your message board for advice, but I have a special enquiry. In 1998, aged 40, I was diagnosed with MS, and now use crutches and wheelchair to get around. Despite that, my wife and I have 2 or 3 foreign (mainly European) holidays per year, and I've always fancied a Carribean trip.

Tobago sounds amazing. My only concern is finding suitable accommodation and accessible beaches/sea access (we could hire taxis to visit other places on the island, like the rain forest?). We were thinking of a January 2005 holiday, for a week. Having had a quick look at your site, the hotels which initially appeal are the Blue Haven, the Coco Reef, and the Kariwak village (sounds great, but too near the airport, too far from the sea? And I read your comment about Pigeon Point- sounds bad).

I used to be a keen snorkeller. What better place to try again than on Tobago!

If any of you were able to offer any advice, that would be great, but It is a peculiar enquiry I know. I would, of course, write up the "disabled traveller" experience for the website afterwards.

Regards
Brian
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Brian

I've posted a reply to your enquiry in the Coco Reef Resort forum, where you posted your original enquiry - its possbily more appropriate there anyway.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

The Turtle beach will fit your needs very well lots of ground floor rooms right on the beach dining and entertainment all on the same level what more could you ask for out of your room right onto the beach. We were there in May 2003 since then a new pool has been added we had a great time meet up with 3 other couples and in two week we are all of to Grenada (Sorry Steve still love Tobago and we do stop on the way and back in Tobago) No beer now alas !!.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Now, now, John - don't be naughty and wind me up. We have a mysterious guest in the Health & Security forum as we speak. They have been in the forum for the best part of four hours on and off. They've had three or four short breaks, but I automatically log and trace all IP connection. Guess where they connection is?

p.s. It must be hell for you, landing at Tobago both ways, and knowing what you are missing. Our sympathies!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Brian,
I've been to both Coco and the Rex, The Rex is the better one for access if your in a ground floor room you have flat access to all the hotel facilities and the beach.

Coco is a lot plusher and lives up to its 5* reputation but there is a good few sets of steps to the beach and eating areas. I recall there were a lot of tiled floors and my wife was skating in her heels now and again.

The one plus side at Coco is the lagoon for your snorkeling, the breakwater was teaming with fish when we were there and it is really sheltered.

Hope this helps
Kevin

Return to “General Accommodation”