Speyside and Charlotteville

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Lisa K.

Speyside and Charlotteville

Post by Lisa K. »

We are coming to Tobago for the scuba diving.
I have heard that Speyside and Charlotteville are good places to stay for the serious divers.
We are in search of a place to stay.... a simple but clean and on the budget side. Were looking for a quite place to stay with no frills ...just a place to sleep, eat and a nice place to relax after days of diving.
The two most popular recomendations in this area seem to be manta lodge and blue water inn but it's a little more than what we are looking for.
Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Welcome aboard, Lisa

Looking at the villages generally, Charlotteville is a nicer village with more accommodation options. However, their only dive operation closed recently.

Speyside has the best diving for serious divers. We love the Blue Waters Inn, but I don't know where you read that the Manta Lodge was "popular". To be frank, I've never heard a good comment about either the lodge or their associated dive centre.

The two best alternatives in Speyside are the Country Haven Guesthouse, and the Speyside Inn. The Inn would be the more convenient of the two as it is right on the shoreline, but it is the more expensive of the two.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Louise I
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Louise I »

Lisa,

For no frill i recommend Cholson Chalet in Charlotteville and diving with Man Friday. We stayed there last year and it was great. there are lots of places to eat in Charlotteville as well

I have dived with man Friday the last two times we have been to Tobago and find them really good - and less than 3 minute walk from the Chalets!

The Chalets are small apartments so you can have breakfast at home and eat out at night - have a look here http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/destinations/tobago/ - The BBC reviewed them when they were in Tobago.

Louise
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Louise obviously hasn't read my comments, so to avoid any confusion, may I repeat and confirm that Man Friday Diving has CLOSED according to my information. I would hate any to book a stay in Charlloteville and get there expecting to be able to dive there and find that they've got to drive/taxi to Speyside every day.
Steve Wooler
Lisa K.

Post by Lisa K. »

Thank you for the welcome aboard Steve.

From what I am understanding between Speyside and Charlloteville that Charlloteville would be the better place to stay. The dive shop you mentioned that is now closed....Is this the only dive shop in Charlloteville?
You did mention that you can stay in Charlloteville and transfer to Speyside daily for the diving...would this be a major pain to do it this way?
I was looking at your reccomedation for places to stay.....both are nice but more then what we need. Is it possiable to find decent place for divers for around $30 a night for two people? I will spend tons of money on diving but am a "cheapie" on places to stay!

Louise- I was searching for the place - Cholson Chalet in Charlotteville - can't find much in the way of prices and information on the property. Do you know if they have a website? the link you sent does not give much in the way of detailed information like prices.

Thank you both for the information. If you have had good diving with a certain dive shop please recomend also.

Thanks again for all the good information!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

It’s all a matter of personal preference, Lisa. Jill and I happen to prefer Charlotteville to Speyside as a village. It’s larger, but still a village. It’s a truly wonderful location, set in a deep horseshoe bay surrounded by the high lush hills. We also find it friendlier.

Because Charlotteville is more popular with tourists, there’s a greater choice of accommodation. Forget the Cholson Chalets – they are well above your budget. They don’t have a website or email address, so I believe the only way to contact them is to telephone.

The only place I have personal experience and knowledge of in Charlotteville is Top River Pearl. Our review of this lovely little guesthouse is on the main site and I have no hesitation in recommending strongly – but it is more expensive than your budget. Yes, there are a number of local houses where you will get a room for US$30, but you must understand that most of these places do not have websites and are not used to communication by email. I guess most people just roll up and ask around in the village until they find somewhere suitable. Every accommodation property that we have been able to trace is listed in our Accommodation listings, so I’m afraid it means some hard slog wading through the listings looking for suitable places. If you find any not mentioned during your research, please let me know and I’ll add them to the list. Likewise, if you find any information – such as prices – where our listings say “not known” – please let me know for the benefit of other readers.

Yes, as I’ve twice said – the ONLY dive operation in Charlotteville has closed down.

The best dive operation in the area is Aquamarine Dive who are based at the Blue Waters Inn in Speyside. It’s a 15 minute drive from Charlotteville to the Blue Waters and Aquamarine may even come and get you if you’re diving with them.
Steve Wooler
Lisa K.

Post by Lisa K. »

Thanks for the reply Steve.

You can bet any new information I come across in my search I will pass along.

One more question for you if I may.......Is it possiable to go without a place to stay booked in advance.....Not sure of my dates yet but will be the months of Nov/Dec..I read that Dec is the start of the high season...even in the high season is this possiable?

I appreciate your time and information Steve.

Lisa
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

As I said, Lisa, that is exactly what many/most travellers at the budget end of the market do. Yes, you obviously may not have the same choice during the busier times of the year - mid-December to mid-April - but you should always find something.
Steve Wooler
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Lisa,
There is a review of diving at Speyside on http://www.divernet.com from November last year, Steve has a copy and he has promised to post it on My Tobago one day.

We had a really great time, our base was Bluewaters Inn which was fine and the Aquamarine Dive Centre is excellent. Having their own jetty makes a big difference in humping gear and you are about 15 minutes away from all of the Speyside dive sites. Even if your not staying at BWI I would recommend you use them.

There are posts on Manta Lodge on here and divernet none of them good. I put a query out on divernet before I booked with BWI and the information I got back raised some serious concerns on the safety side.

We went over to Charlotville a few times it’s a nice place if you like fish!!, but there did not seem to be much diving going, The one dive shack (and it was) was locked every time.

If you want any more info on the dive side just ask.

Regards
Kevin
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Lisa,
Just one more thing, When are you planning to go?

I'll be back over in October. Planning two centres this time BWI and the Kariwak.

Regards
Kevin
Lisa K.

Post by Lisa K. »

Kevin,

I will be over there around Nov/Dec. If your up and running please let me know. I will be checking in and making posts on this board till I leave so drop a note.

You say "this time"....have you had centres in Tobago before?

Thanks much.

Lisa
Lisa K.

Post by Lisa K. »

sorry Kevin....only seen your last post ..not the one before that!

Thanks for the information on the dive shops. I too now have seen some not so good news on Manta Lodge.
BWI get great reviews and for sure will use the dive shop even if I don't stay there.

I have traveled to Roatan, Belize and Egypt with out advance booking for a place to stay and has worked out for me so maybe I will just head out to speyside when I arrive and find a place.

Yes...divernet...I frequent their site....I'll check out the article.

I am in Israel and will be going home to Flordia end of the year for a couple months and when I'm back home I wanted to make it over to Tobago for diving as I have always wanted to dive there but I'm never back home much these days.

Thanks again!
Sorry for the non-sense of my last email!

Lisa
Lisa K.

Post by Lisa K. »

forgot to mention Kevin...Scubaboard.com is a great source for diving information if you wanted to post the article there also.
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Lisa,
I've have been over a few times now. Both down at the airport end and up to Speyside. It all started a few years ago when I had to do some work for my company in Trinidad so I tagged a week in Tobago at the end and I've ended up going back every holiday since.

Last November we did two weeks at BWI and this year we will be going back to BWI for a week in mid October and the a week at the Kariwak diving with Undersea Tobago to do some Caribbean dive sites again.

I'll be doing a post when I return anyway so I can give you some up to date info before you go.

Regards
Kevin
Louise I
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Louise I »

Steve,
Sorry - must have missed your comments about Man Friday - i am sick as a parrot! Not least because i love Charlotteville and diving :cry:

Cholson Chalets do not have a website - the rates were quite cheap but you have to phone and speak to the owner.

Louise
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Louise

Do you mind telling us what the rates were? Because they haven't got email, I haven't been able to contact them for prices and I would obviously like to add them to our listings as a general guide to other readers.

Thanks in anticipation.
Steve Wooler

Return to “General Accommodation”