Help needed for travelling with a baby

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Richard Newitt

Help needed for travelling with a baby

Post by Richard Newitt »

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

I’m planning our first trip to Tobago next year, with my wife and 6 month old baby. If anyone can give me any advice as to where to stay and where to avoid I would be very grateful. At the moment we have narrowed our search down to the Hilton, Grafton Beach Resort, and Rex Turtle Beach (although these are subject to change should anyone think we are making a mistake).

We ourselves are not particularly fussy about where we stay but for the baby’s sake there are a couple of things that would be necessary. Although we are not too bothered about what the rooms are like we would want them to be cleaned on a regular bases and also to be generally safe (e.g. no exposed electrical wires, no balconies with wide gaps in the railings). Other than this we would like to be relatively close to somewhere that sells nappies etc.

One last thing, will we be well received at restaurants (both at resorts and independent ones) with a baby in the evening if the baby is asleep; we would of course leave should baby wake and start crying.

Thanks for your time
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Richard

Well, the first thing I've got to say is that the Hilton is a very different kettle of fish to the Grafton or Rex Turtle Beach. If you want total luxury, really top a la carte dining and all the bells and whistles, then the Hilton. However, with a baby, I would think you might be more 'relaxed' at either of the other two and my vote would be for the Grafton.

By coincidence, I published our full review of the Grafton yesterday, so I would suggest this as your starting point. Can't speak for the other two, but you're unlikely to be the only couple with youngsters at the Grafton. We reckon it's the best all round 'family' hotel on the island now.

Hope these humble thoughts help.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Richard Newitt

Post by Richard Newitt »

Thanks Steve

Having read your review I am inclined to agree with you. I think it will be just what we want.

One thing I forgot to mention above is that my wife is more or less a vegetarian (she does occaisonally eat chicken/sausages/Mcdonalds chesse burgers!!!). Would she be catered for at the Grafton? she doesn't expect much but a pasta dish or two wouldn't go amiss.

Again, thanks for your help
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I think it safe to say that ALL the hotels and restaurants now cater for vegetarians on a regular basis. I didn't specifically go into the subject at the Grafton (but it has now been added to the questionnaire we're preparing for future visits/reviews) but I know there was a wide choice of non-meat dishes. Does she eat fish? It's almost impossible to find a menu in Tobago without at least one fish dish on the menu.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Richard

Post by Richard »

We took our little un (pic left) to Rex in Jan at 10 months. No problems

Tips

Excel air - upgrade and get in early. We got the middle 3 seats and could make "nest" on floor for tot. No cots on Excel.

Rex - ensure they know you have a baby and will provide ground floor room (number starts with a 1). Balconies not safe. Try for the end away from the pool (higher numbers). We took a travel cot and used as a play pen on balcony. They have cots which are OK but bars are a bit far apart.
Rooms kept clean and staff love babies. They will cook something for baby if asked but the portions are adult sized. We took tins, 15 kg of tins.
Baby stitting - arrange with your maid as they are the ones who do it anyway. May save some loot.

Normal advice - keep nipper out of sun. We used factor 60 and a sun suit and didn't take him out in sun between about 11 and 1600. Timetable something like
0800 wake up, dress etc and go to breakfast
1000 back to room, lotion up etc and into sea for a quick dip
1030 baby to sleep - out for a longer swim, walk on beach etc. keep checking back
1200 lunch
1330 baby to sleep, read books, if not sleep play in shade
1600 take baby to pool for drink at bar and his play swim
1700 back to room - wife wash off baby, daddy back into sea
1800 prepare for dinner
1900 dinner
2100 bed

this is very approx.

Return to “General Accommodation”