Help - Stuck for choice in Accommodation

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Sarah Pickett

Help - Stuck for choice in Accommodation

Post by Sarah Pickett »

Hi, I am planning on taking my mother to Tobago for 10 days in November. Accommodation needs to have sun loungers on the beach and ideally with a few single people and not too many old folk. I have looked at the Blue Haven which seems to be apart from everything. Le grand Coulan which has had mixed reviews and the Coco Beach which seems to be the most highly pushed hotel in all the brochures so am wondering whether too package holiday types. Had thought of Arnos Grove too. Which do you think would suit both someone old wanting creature comforts and someone young that would like to go out at night or unless anyone can recommend anything else. ALso if anyone can recommend a few beaches on the island that has sun loungers. Thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sarah

Welcome aboard!

There are very few beachside hotels so you haven’t got a huge choice and you’ve identified most. Obviously only residents are allowed to use the sun loungers provided by hotels. The only ‘public’ beaches that provide loungers for anyone (on payment of an entrance fee) are Pigeon Point and Canoe Bay.

I can only suggest that you read our Accommodation Reviews (see Reviews menu at top of page) to get a better idea of which hotel might suit you best, then check out our sub forums for each of the hotels you shortlist to get other opinion.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Sarah Pickett

Post by Sarah Pickett »

Thanks for your prompt reply Steve. I have read all your reviews on all the hotels including the forum. Have also spent a whole week reading information, am no further forward.

As you know all the hotels and know the island better than I, wondered whether you could suggest which hotel would best suit us. I suppose the obvious choice would be the Coco Beach but then although it is probably what my mum would like, I feel that it will be all british package holiday makers using first choice holidays plus has a not typical beach.

I really like the sound of the Blue Haven since havent found it in any holiday brochure but my concern is that I don't want to be surrounded by old people or honeymooners. ANd to stay here seems as though we would need a car to get anywhere since there doesn't seem to be so much in the way of restaurants or bars close by.

One of the places to go seems to be the School, hmm cant think of the last part but that is on the same side of the Island as Arnos vale hotel which doesn't have much write up.

Le Grand Courlan seems a good choice but had mixed write ups and reviews and is all inclusive which doesnt seem to be the thing to do with so much choice of eating in more local places to get a better feel of the island. Plus the most expensive out of the lot.

ANother thought I had was stay 5 days in one hotel and then go to the north of the island to the blue something or other. I would like somewhere that also caters to the 30ish age bracket too as well as a place suitable for my mother.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sarah

Yes, I know what’s it like – the more you research the choices, the more confused and indecisive you can become. It would be presumptuous of anyone else to suggest what is right or best suited YOU. You must read the reviews and comments and focus on those things that are important for you.

A few answers, responding to comments in your post, that will hopefully help:

The vast, vast majority of guests at ALL the hotels you are considering will be British package holiday makers. All these hotels are featured in various tour operator brochures.

It’s pointless criticising the Coco REEF hotel for not having a ‘typical’ beach. The beaches of Tobago vary from heavy black volcanic sand to white coral sand. What is typical? None of these hotels are ‘typical’ Tobago – they are all holiday fantasy resorts and bear as little resemblance to “real” life on Tobago as I do to a coconut. So, go for what you “like”. If you want ‘real’ Tobago, stay in local guesthouse accommodation (but don’t expect loungers on the beach).

Why would you be surrounded by old people or honeymooners at the Blue Haven more than at any other hotel? The age and mix of holidaymakers across all the hotels is much the same. The more expensive the hotel, the older the average client, I guess, but we’re not talking about a huge difference.

You’ll need a car/taxi at ANY of the hotels to really get out to restaurants and bars. The Coco REEF is the only exception, as there are a couple of places within walking distance – but that’s assuming that you and your mother don’t mind walking around the streets alone late at night. It’s no more dangerous there than at home, but if I’m being really responsible, I guess I wouldn’t suggest it. Therefore, you’re going to need transport wherever you are.

You must first decide on the class of accommodation you want. The Arnos Vale is a completely different class of hotel to the Coco Reef/Blue Haven, etc. Define you choice and decide on the class of hotel you’re happy with to make your choice easier.

Sunday School is a ‘must’ on Sunday evening’s. You’ll need transport to get there. In travelling times, there’s very little difference between ANY of the places you have mentioned – they’re all within 15 minutes drive (5 minutes for Le Grand Courlan).

How old are the “mixed” reviews you’ve read of Le Grand Courlan. If you’ve read my review, then you’ll know that you should ignore any reports prior to 2003. It is far from the most expensive of the lot. Check out brochures from other tour operators.

What sort of facilities are these hotels supposed to be offering for the 30ish age bracket? What makes a place suitable for the elderly – and what’s elderly anyway?

Yes, I think it could be a good choice to split your holiday. You would stand a better chance of finding something that might suit both of you. The blue something or other could be a good choice.
Steve Wooler
Sarah Pickett

Post by Sarah Pickett »

Hi Steve

Thanks again for the information. As everyone who has been on this web site says, it is very addictive and is better than any guide book I have read ont he Caribbean. There should be a website like this for every island.

Think it best to give mum the choices and let her decide. :lol:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

At least that will absolve you of any blame if it's not the right choice. :wink:
Steve Wooler
Richard

Post by Richard »

OK so it may miss on the mix of guests (but that will depend on the time of year) but the Rex is right on the beach and has sun loungers.

The shaded ones on the beach get nabbed pretty fast but there are plenty and you can drag them under trees for a bit of shade. We had a ground floor room with a small patio and lounged there in the hottest part of the day.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Sarah,The Grafton will also meet your requirements.I think that just about covers all the "beach front"hotels.Good luck and enjoy the experience of holidaying in paradise!!
Regards David(131 days to go)
Sarah Pickett

Thanks

Post by Sarah Pickett »

Thanks David and Richard for your comments. Will definitely take a visit to these hotels whilst there.
Christine Nelson
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Christine Nelson »

Rex Turtle is my favourite and each time I have been there has a mixed age group.There are regular locals and tour guides which visit the hotel all of them I found could be trusted who for a small fee will arrange transport and offer to show you around of a evening and daytime.
Hotel is on the beach with plenty of sunloungers and a nice swimming pool.You can go all inclusive or room only.

Return to “General Accommodation”